Dark, Black, or Purple leaves?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by dustin27, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Hey nukkas!

What causes the leaves of plants later in flowering to turn dark?
    I cant find any example pics right now, but you know what im talking about.

It never really happens to my stuff INDOORS, but high ferts get em close.
    My buddies garden gets it alot! I dont know his fert schedule, however.

I put a few plants outdoors, for a trial, and it rained for a few days. Now the leaves of Dj Shorts True Blueberry are purple/black.

I deduced that the variables are:
    ferts; my plants stay darker shades with higher nutes
    temp; the lower outdoor temp perhaps caused the leaves to darken
    humidity; the higher outdoor humidity and rain perhaps caused the leaves to darken.
    strain; it seems to be more apparent in the dj shorts, than the other two indica strains i also put outdoors. The higher N ferts gave them a nice dark green, but not too dark.

Any input?

2. Don't quote me on this, since I'm not 100% positive.

I'm pretty sure it's when you stress the plants in the cold, they turn purple.

3. oops, i quoted! :D LOL. Anyway. That would make sense. My room temps are always 70-80, even in the dark. The said "buddie" i mentioned earlier, grows in the basement, where his temps are, i imagine, are atleast 10-20 degrees lower.

4. genetics or climate, those are the only two causes i know of. good luck:smoke:

5. its happens because the plant is 2 cold at night is Wat i have read

6. I've been thinking recently that the darker, purply, strains are better suited to indoor growing. Obviously color is representative of the light that is being absorbed and the light being reflected. Since indoor grows largely only supplement the reddish wavelengths sub 3000K then the reflection (or lack of need) for the violet/indigo wavelengths shows us that more of the red light is being absorbed which is ideal for an indoor grower. I think this might help explain why "purp" seems to have a higher potency (only half true though).

Just spit balling though.

7. This is kinda off topic but it does pertain to the color purple on a plant, my indoor plants that are some kind of purple strain have purle stripes going up the stalk of each plant and stems. I just assumed becasue there some kind of purple strain plant.