DARE Curriculum Drops Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by rapidcharger, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Dude that fuckin rocks!!!!!

[​IMG]KNDU
    Could DARE finally have come to its senses regarding marijuana?

Has the national DARE organization -- Drug Abuse Resistance Education -- removed the discussion of marijuana from its curriculum? It appears the answer is yes, reports Kevin Shaub at KNDU.

Nearly 100 students who graduated from the Sunset View Elementary DARE program in Kennewick, Washington, will be the last group to be taught the potential dangers of marijuana, said the Kennewick Police Department's DARE officer, Mike Meyer.

"The new curriculum starts as of December for us here in Kennewick," Meyer said. "It does not bring up the subject of marijuana at all."

[​IMG]KNDUDARE Officer Mike Meyer: "The new curriculum starts as of December for us here in Kennewick. It does not bring up the subject of marijuana at all"Meyer, who has been devoting an entire lesson to marijuana, has been Kennewick's DARE officer for six years. He said he didn't know why the national parent organization that oversees the DARE program has deleted cannabis from its program.

Of course, cannabis should never have been a part of the program to begin with. The overblown "dangers" touted by the inaccurate and borderline-ridiculous DARE program serve only to destroy the credibility of the curriculum itself -- a very dangerous thing, since it is also supposed to inform young people about the very real dangers of drugs like heroin, cocaine and methamphetamine.

Lots of young people -- upon hearing the nonsense DARE spouts about marijuana -- stop believing everything else they say, and start entertaining thoughts like "they're probably lying about meth, too." Not a good thing.

TIME Magazine's Jessica Reaves reported back in 2001 that "Just Say No" is not an effective anti-drug message. After years of ignoring stubbornly low success rates, coordinators of the DARE program -- then already 18 years old -- were faced with the fact that their plan to keep kids of drugs just wasn't working.

The program was plagued by image problems from the beginning, when it first latched onto Nancy Reagan's mindlessly simplistic "Just Say No" campaign. According to an article published in the August 1999 issue of the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, DARE not only did not reduce teenagers' rates of experimentation with drugs, but may also have actually lowered their self-esteem.

That study, called "Project DARE: No Effects at 10-Year Follow-Up," bluntly deconstructed every claim the DARE program makes. Twenty-year-olds who had taken DARE classes in middle school were no less likely to have smoked marijuana or tobacco, drunk alcohol, used cocaine or heroin, or caved in to peer pressure than kids who'd never been exposed to DARE.

"Surprisingly," the article added, "DARE status in the sixth grade was negatively related to self-esteem at age 20, indicating that individuals who were exposed to DARE in the sixth grade had lower levels of self-esteem 10 years later."

Another study, performed at the University of Illinois, suggested that some high school seniors who'd been forced to attend DARE classes were even more likely to use drugs than their non-DARE peers.

NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

DARE Curriculum Drops Marijuana - Toke of the Town - cannabis news, views, rumor and humor.

2. As a kid drugs were never really something I thought much about, but spending an hour every wednsday hearing about them during DARE made me curious about them. I probably wouldnt have tried weed at such a young at age if it werent for DARE.

Thanks for the good times DARE.

3. I never had dare growing up. It didnt come in to existence till I was in high school or so. So I never had the whole dare experience.

I just like the fast that they are 1) taking it away (because it shouldn't be there anyways) 2) in a way apologizing that it not this horrible im going to rob peoples homes for it drug.

I hope asslicnker, ohh i mean Anslinger is rotting in hell. That fucking pile of shit...

4. More great news. Very often, it is they rent groups that end up fighting cannabis decriminalization or legalization. If we get them on board, the rest will fall in line too. Moms are a huge demographic so we must get them on our side as much as possible.

5. I missed DARE because I was in between schools, but I always felt left out because I didn't have the ruler or t-shirt :(

6. holy shit its true shit is changing :D

7. wtf in here in Canada ive never had anything like DARE lol, but thats good, now lets legalize that on federal level fuck the DEA i hate hank from breaking bad !!

8. Sitting through the DARE assemblies is "interesting"!

While the cop drones on (and on), I watch the faces of the kids- by 7th grade only the "good Catholic/ J Witness" girls are buying the DARE line! The rest are all but giggling at the cop, or are totally bored and texting! (I'm supposed to take the cell phones that they are texting on, but I go "selectively blind" and just "don't see" them. lol)

DARE, as shown by those studies, and my kids' reactions, is ineffective and is less useful than a buggy whip now-a-days!

9. I was the only kid in my 5th grade class to not graduate dare ha, i signed up for this long speech i was suppose to give at graduation but i ended up not going. my teacher at the time saved me a extra dare lion and i still have it to this day in my room, looking it it high always cracks me up for some reason

10. I won a speech contest for DARÉ about why all drugs are evil...

11. D.A.R.E = Drugs Are Really Excellent

12. Can I just take a moment to say: Fuck the DARE program.

I have no respect for an organization that encouraged children to turn their families in for drug use in a private setting. I think if they focused on actual dangerous drugs and gave clear facts AND weren't targeting young children I *might* be ok with them, but probably not.

13. #13 Corndogs, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2012
    This is fake, DARE did not drop weed, they still have alcohol and tobacco.. Weed won't get removed likely. They still want little kids away from it. If you want proof I can find it for you. I'm not trying to be a dick and call you out, just trying to spread the real information because that article is pretty believing. But progress is being made for sure yeah, so this definitely could become true in the future.

14. [quote name='"Corndogs"']This is fake, DARE did not drop weed, they still have alcohol and tobacco.. Weed won't get removed likely. They still want little kids away from it. If you want proof I can find it for you. I'm not trying to be a dick and call you out, just trying to spread the real information because that article is pretty believing. But progress is being made for sure yeah, so this definitely could become true in the future.[/quote]

That's because alcohol and tobacco are truly harmful substances that have a negative impact on the body

I agree with how kids find out later that marijuana isn't nearly as bad as dare says it is and it leads them to believe that everything they said about harder drugs is also false. It makes a lot of sense why they would remove it from there curriculum, I mean there facts they provide on it are laughed at and mocked by anyone who reads it. Atleast the facts they give about alcohol and tobacco aren't complete bullshit so kids don't feel the need to disagree with the facts on harder stuff.

Dare says alcohol kills your brain cells, last I checked that's not false
    Dare says tobacco causes lung cancer and is very addictive, also true
    Dare says marijuana kills your brain cells and is highly addictive and dangerous, lol wut??

15. [quote name='"Spice Of Life"']Can I just take a moment to say: Fuck the DARE program.

I have no respect for an organization that encouraged children to turn their families in for drug use in a private setting. I think if they focused on actual dangerous drugs and gave clear facts AND weren't targeting young children I *might* be ok with them, but probably not.[/quote]

That's real life..... My niece turned in my brother cause of pot. They told her its ok, you can tell us if your family member is doing anything. We just want to talk to him. It's the right and legal thing to do. Your not gonna get in trouble or hurt. Fucked up shit man.

16. This is all true. I'm under the influence of both alcohol and tobacco right now as I type this. Why? Because I can't get cannabis at this very moment.

Now I love both of these drugs...but that's the problem. Alcohol and tobacco can make you so happy, but that happiness comes at a cost. And DARE teaches that cost. But since their founding they have taught a false cost of Cannabis love. Kills brain cells? FALSE! Proven false. Causes cancer? FALSE! Proven not only false, but proven to prevent and even to cure certain cancers.

Not entirely sure what my point is right now since I'm drunk instead of high. If i was high I could make a very valid point.

Anyway...glad that they're gonna stop teaching this false garbage to the most impressionable in the world.

17. Weed hasnt been proven to cure any type of cancer, though there is annecdotel evidence that suggests it could.

18. And Lunesta hasn't been shown outside of studies funded by Sepracor to be effective for insomnia. But that doesn't stop doctors from handing it out like it was candy.

19. Im just saying you shouldnt got around saying weeds been PROVEN to cure cancer, it makes stoners sounds uneducated.