Daniel Shaver murder

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Continuum, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Yeah he had some loose shorts on I guess, but when the cops have guns on you telling you to keep your hands out, don't fucking reach towards your waistband to pull up your shorts man, when I watched the clip and saw that I was like "no dude, why!?". Video was tough to watch and I'm not saying the cops did a good job here, but I understand why a jury acquitted him. BTW the cop giving the orders wasn't the cop who shot.

2. The cop did get fired so at least there's that, he's not out there with a badge and gun anymore, which is fine with me because he apparently had some past issues on the job. Whether a person is guilty or not isn't the question when evaluating use of force, the question is "would a reasonable person perceive a deadly threat". The fact that he ended up being unarmed isn't really relevant to the cop's decision in the moment.

3. I agree, but a simple movement does to constitute a reasonable assumption that their is a deadly threat. If that was the case, it would be ok to shoot anyone that acted even slightly aggressive. You or I would be behind bars, and that is a double standard. I have no problem with cops, I have a problem with people who are excused for not only violating an innocent person's constitutional right to due process, but taking their life as well. It just so happens that the only people who get away with that in our society is law enforcement officers and the well connected.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I read that Shaver was wasted too.

I know the cop who shot him wasn't the one barking the orders.

This was just a terribly, sloppy situation all together.

If this was truly, 'by the book,' what they are trained to do, then we are all fucked.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. #25 STIGGY, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Hate to say, but when you are at gunpoint and reach for what the police think is your waistband (where most conceal a gun) You are going to be shot.
    Sad just an unfortunate accident for all involved, I would not want to be that cop who pulled the trigger.
    And to clear it up before it backlash I do not think anyone was right or wrong just stating fact on how they are trained.
    It is also shoot to stop the threat , which means 2 bullets center mass until threat is stopped.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. #26 Possuum, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    I tell ya the truth about it, if you find yourself in the unfortunate position of being confronted by the police do exactly as told otherwise you end up with bullets shredding your flesh.

These popo made it impossible for the man to get out alive. Otherwise they would have tased him and put a knee on his neck. From what i saw i'd have found the cop guilty of manslaughter. Totally unnecessary killing just like so many others.

Thats what i see. What we dont see is at least two, physically fit, ~200lb'ers armed with weapons and knuckles. There were probably four of the mofo's. Gone are the days when the cops will simply beat a suspect into submission. They'll just kill ya now.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Oh, because he was soooo very threatening sobbing & crawling on all fours down a hallway.

Did they ask him if he had a weapon on his person? Did they attempt to search him? I know they were worried about someone possibly being in the room still or whatever.

They could've ordered him to strip down butt naked.

But instead they confused him with contradictory commands and played judge and juror & convicted an innocent man to his death...like countless other times.

What happened to de-escalation? Nothing about how that was handled was calm or rational.

I'm not against filling dirtbags full of lead, but it shouldn't be okay to be so sloppy and reckless just because you have the tiny dick of the law in your hands.

In our local news, a few months back, we had cops surround an guy who had autism. Weapons drawn & ready to fire on him because he wasn't cooperating. They were yelling orders at the man and he was just trembling and shaking in the fetal position....still with guns drawn They had people screaming "he's fucking retarded, don't shoot him, please don't shoot him"

It's disgusting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I agree 1 million %

• Like Like x 1
  9. I don't trust a Damn one of them

• Like Like x 2
  10. It's best to do everything one can to avoid contact IME. Everything reasonable anyway.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Agreed

12. The most disturbing part is that it isn't an isolated incident.

I guess this guy deserved to die as well:
    Police: Prank led to police shooting unarmed Kansas man
    Police: Prank led to police shooting unarmed Kansas man

Law enforcement has failed us when they start killing innocent people. If they are this quick to shoot unarmed people then I don't blame those who decide to shoot first.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. This one sucks, but I blame the asshole who made the fake call. The cops have to assume every call is legit until they figure it out.

14. In the UK we don't have shit like this happen because we arnt as keen to let all our citizens carry guns. In the USA loads of citizens own guns so the police have to be very strict.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. Yeah British police don't carry guns either, so they have to run away from armed suspects. I've watched videos of 4 UK cops fleeing in terror from a guy with a knife, saw a brutal one where a cop is chasing a drug dealer and gets his leg chewed up by an attack dog. Remember the attack in London earlier this year where a Jihadi type gutted an unarmed cop before being shot by an armed cop?

I don't think gun policy is the issue here. Do cops seem trigger happy? Sometimes, but to be fair they were given false information about this latest one. Definitely not fair to blame police shootings on an armed public. The vast majority of American cops go their entire careers without needing to use lethal force.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. I have quite a nice selection of firearms here in my home and I also carry my 9mm glock with me. Its called the 2nd amendment if I'm not mistaken..but I ABSOLUTLY never have any cannabis on me at any time I'm carrying.that would be a felony

17. And I sure as hell don't smoke

18. This is a hard one to call, I mean really the kid did not follow any of the instructions given to him at all, but that doesn't mean he should of died for it.

Cops are there to risk their own lives and the second those same cops become a risk to everyone else, I think this becomes a big problem.

• Like Like x 1
  19. If i was a cop i would use K9's and tasers as much as possible if for nothing else perhaps just for the fun of it. No human can beat a K9 hand to hand and one in 10 million can withstand the effects of a properly used taser. IMO neither of these lads should have died. Specifically in each of these situations a taser and/or a K9 would have ended without a shot being fired. I wasnt there so IRDK, but if i was on a grand jury i would have to be presented some very dramatic video evidence to justify either of those lads being gun downed.

It's bullshit IMO and I trust those involved will correctly decide whether to file suit. I know what I'd do. I'd be Plaintiff...

20. Im sorry but I think the cops could have tased him..THINK BEFORE YOU ACT...I understand they have a job to do but being trigger happy ain't one of them..