DangerousD's Nirvana Northern Lights grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by dangerousD, Oct 14, 2010.

1. #1 dangerousD, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2010
    Hi GrassCity, Today I started germinating 4 Nirvana Northern Lights feminized seeds that I just got. this isn't actually my first grow, but it will be my first where I actually know what I'm doing (somewhat, anyway) I have one plant in flower right now that I'm getting ready to harvest in the next 2 weeks that was from some bag seed.

Here's my specs:

Veg. room using sunleaves 4 foot t8 blue spectrum fluoro's on a 18/6 schedule. I will have 2 general hydroponics waterfarms coming in the mail and I will put 2 of the seedlings in them, and put the other 2 in 4" rockwool cubes and put them in net pots with hydroton with a drip irrigation homemade system that I've used for my prior grows that has been pretty good to me. I have been using, and will (for now) continue to use the technaflora products from the recipe for success kit (BC Grow, BC bloom, BC boost, etc). The room is semi-sealed up with black plastic, and has an oscillating fan going 24 hours a day. It has plenty of air leaks though, so fresh air shouldn't be an issue.

As for where I am right now, I started germinating the seeds last night by putting them into a cup of distilled water for about 18 hours, then moving them to damp paper towels inside a sealed tupperware container sitting on top of a plate that is on a heating mat. I'm opening the lid about 3x a day to get air in. I noticed that the seeds have started to open up a bit. I'll wait another day or 2 to make sure the tap root is out, before putting them into 1" rockwool cubes that I have presoaked in pH 5.3 distilled water.

once they sprout above ground, they will go into a tray with a humidity dome with the heating mat underneath.

I'm looking forward to journaling their progress, and would love to hear some comments and constructive criticism so I can get some good bud out of these bad boys.

I'll post some pics as soon as I can figure out how

livin dangerous!

Attached Files:

2. day 3 germination update:

well, last night I was happy to see that all 4 seeds had popped, so I carefully put them in some pre-soaked rockwool cubes, and put them in a propagation tray with a humidity dome, and placed the tray on the heating mat. The temp and humidity is 78F and 80% inside the dome. my veg room has been really steady at 74F and 55%.

on a side note, I had some clones from bagseed that I was practicing on, and had one of them in my flower room to sex, and found out today that they were male, so I discarded them.

I just got done expanding my veg room, so there is some room to work in there, and when my bagseed plant is harvested in another week or so, I'll expand my flower room as well. I'd say that the veg room is around 5x5 and 9 ft tall, and the flower room is about 5x7 and 9 ft. tall.

My GH waterfarms should be here any day now, I'm looking forward to using them after watching Mikehoncho's very successful grow using them.

I'll be back tomorrow with another update!

:smoke:livin dangerous

3. Looks like we should be starting a T5 Fan Club!!

Nice lookin setup and I will be watching!

4. thanks Flava, I've been watching a lot of peoples growshows, and I want to take part as well. The room on the left is my flower room, and it's behind the curtain. I'll get more pics tomorrow after I get it expanded, but since there's currently a flowering girl in there, I've held off on messing with it too much until I harvest it. it's on day 70 of flower and still only a few orange stigmas, so I might have some time to go.

5. Day 4 of germination:

well, all 4 have their cotyledons opening up, and are turning green. I've moved the humidome/tray under the t5 lights. It's staying around 78F and 85% humidity inside the dome. How long should I keep the dome on? I can't remember on my last one how long I did, and I don't want to leave it on for too long.

on a side note: I finished up the exterior of my flower room, it's going to be a lot bigger, giving me some room to move around in there. Currently, I have that bagseed in there flowering and it got WAY bigger than I was expecting. Pics are attached. I'm finally starting to see some orange hairs and the trichs look like their clouding up a bit, so if anyone has any guesses on how long until harvest, I welcome your opinions.

man, not being able to smoke for the last 3 weeks has been killing me! I have a potential opportunity for a job at a better company, and I know there is a piss test. I was planning a trip over thanksgiving to Amsterdam, but I'm not going if I can't smoke, that would be torture! So, I think I'll go next year for the Cannibis cup.

That's all for now, peace GC!

Attached Files:

6. Oct. 16 update: day 4 from germination

all 4 seeds have sprouted and are above ground now. as soon as they opened up their cotyledons, I put them under the t5's about 12 inches below the light. It's staying around 80 degrees F and 75-85% humidity. I'm keeping a wet papertowel inside the dome to keep the humidity up. I'm hoping that around day 9-11 there are roots at the bottom of the rockwool cubes. This is how long my last batch took with the bagseed.

Here are a few pics of the expanded outside of the flower room. I have a 90 CFM squirrel cage fan for exhaust for the flower room hooked up to a 4" carbonair filter and a little duct inline fan that is pulling in fresh air into the room.

Be back in a few days with another update!

Living Dangerous!

Attached Files:

7. Oct. 20 update: day 9 from seed

not much change since last update, but there are roots at the bottom of the rockwool cube on #3 and #4. Temp is getting up around 89F so I put a plate between the tray and the heating mat. Humidity without the dome is around 35-40%, probably because the lights are about 6" from the top of the seedlings, but I'm keeping the bottom of the tray wet. the humidity in the room on the other hygrometer says 51%. The cubes are moist but not overly wet.

I got my 2 GH waterfarms today, yay! I put the first one together and it I can't wait to use it. I think my plan is going to be put 2 of the seedlings in the waterfarms using the GH nutes that came with the waterfarms, and grow the other 2 in rockwool and net pots using the technaflora recipe for success nutes that I've been using with drip irrigation. I'm curious to see if there is much difference in the performance of the nutes.

on a side note: my flowering bagseed is FINALLY starting to get some cloudy trichs and some of the stigmas are turning orange/brown. it's going on week 11 now, and they look really resinous. I had started to flush with distilled water with some MagiCal and SugarDaddy, but decided it was too early, so I added more flowering nutes. This weekend, I will begin flushing with distilled water for a period of 2 weeks before giving a final 24 hours of darkness, then chop.

Attached Files:

8. ill guess 2-4 weeks til the bagseed
    nice setup you got going here man

9. thanks Texas, I appreciate the feedback! It's so tough when it's just bagseed, and it has seemed FOREVER!!!

10. tell me about it i think my first seed i ever grew was a 100% sativa and man that bitch was on week 13 and still not done when i cut it i kinda hated it but mannnnnnnnn was it a fuckin high not a stone but a great high

im sure you will be happy with the wait like i say any free weed is better than sex!!! imo lol

11. Oct. 22 update - day 11 from seed

well, not much to update, other than everything is going well. Keeping the temp down around 79-85F and humidity is between 35-45%. There are several roots at the bottom of each cube. I want to put 2 of these into my GH waterfarm, but I'm not sure if I should put into a larger rockwool cube before putting it in there, or should just put the small rockwool cube into the hydroton in the waterfarm, and start just watering it manually. Usually, in the past, I have not started using 25% nutes until they are 3-4 weeks old. Any tips on this?

As for my bagseed in flower, the trichs are clouding up and the hairs are turning orange, so probably another 2-3 weeks until harvest. That would put it at 85-90 days in flower, taking forever!

12. Oct. 23 update, day 12 from seed

I decided to transplant 2 of the seedlings into bigger, 4" rockwool cubes, and then put #3 into the waterfarm and leave the 4th in the 1" rockwool. I'm not sure how well the waterfarm will do with the seedling so small and since it's in the middle, the watering ring drops might not get to the plants roots, however, I can always continue to hand water, like I am with the other ones. I'm just excited to see how the waterfarm works, and couldn't wait. I'm still only using pH 5.5 distilled water (pH is low to compensate for the high pH of the rockwool) and keeping all of them between 12-18"under the t5's.

rinsing that hydroton is a pain, and it seems like no matter how well you rinse, it still leaves dust. I've been putting the pellets in a big portable cooler that I got as a gift, and then just hose them down and when it gets full, of water i open the drain on the cooler and let the runoff go into my sump pump. it's pretty handy to have a water spigot in the basement.

My flowering bagseed is coming along. I changed the rez last night, and put in only sugar daddy and MagiCal, as listed on the technaflora instructions. I'll do this for the next week, then follow with a distilled water flush and then it's coming down. The trichs are cloudy now, but I don't see any amber ones yet, and the hairs are about 10-15% orange. I'm looking for more of a head buzz than a couch lock on this.

For those of you that are checking in, I appreciate any tips or ideas. Thanks for the help GC!

Attached Files:

13. Looking good man , Looking really nice

14. nic grow spot.

15. #15 FullFlava, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2010
    Hey dangerousD, as you know I am by no means a seasoned grower but the method I use for cleaning hydroton(cannibalized from posts on GC) seems to work pretty well for me and you may find it easier to work with than your current deal

I bought a couple of 5 gallon buckets and drilled whole bunch of little holes in the lower half/bottom of one.(make sure you put plenty of holes in the bottom for easy drainage)
    I then place the holed bucket inside the other one and add some hydroton, then add water until they float.
    I then put my hands in and swoosh around a lot trying to get as much of the dust off as possible and until the water gets really cloudy.
    I then lift the holed bucket out (I am in the basement sink for this operation BTW) and pour the crud water out. Rinse and repeat ...

This worked great for me but I forget how many rinses it took exactly?

16. good idea man hydroton is PAIN IN THE ASS to rinse

17. Nice grow man, interested to see how your setup turns out, thinking of doing something similar to yours as well so I'll be watching. Also for bag seed....that plant looks awesome haha. Just enjoy it Im sure it'll turn out awesome.

18. thanks Flava for the advise, I had been using a spaghetti strainer until I found this beer cooler that I could use. I just have SO much in my ebb/flow table that the strainer was ridiculous to use. I wash the shit out of it, but there is always SOME dust left over. Not a biggie though, I figure by the time I change out the rez on the waterfarm, it should be cleared out.

I appreciate the kind words from everyone, if it wasn't for you all, I would only know what I read in some books about it. And well all know that's a good starter, but experience teaches the best.

As for an update, they are starting to grow their 2nd and 3rd sets of leaves, with the tallest being about 2" and the shortest just over an inch. One thing i learned from my first bagseed grow, is NOT to love them too much and just be patient. It makes it easier knowing that the work will pay off, like my 5Ft plant in flower right now. I cant WAIT to try that shit, I think it's more sativaish, but hard to say. I plan on harvesting when it's about 50/50 cloudy/amber trichomes for a head high as well as a little couch lock.

more updates to come! thanks for checkin in yall!

19. Next update you should get throw up some pics of your girl right before harvest. It would be cool to see how she ended up

20. I'll definitely post some pics of that bagseed plant as I harvest and afterwards. She's getting close, I'll post tomorrow