DangerousD's Bubble Bucket scrog Northern Lights

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by dangerousD, Jul 17, 2011.

1. damn they've thickened up.

2. Your plants are looking great! You know I am growing 4 nirvana nl fem right now. It seems like you've grown the NL a few times. What is the average cycle time you've seen on those seeds?

3. they are fast bloomers, as I believe the last grow, I chopped down at day 53 from the 12/12 switch, so even less than the 8 weeks they said. I vegged them out around 7 weeks this time, and unfortunately, I didnt take many pics on my last grow between day 35-45, so it's tough to compare the maturity of these plants to those. but the pics dont do the trichomes justice, there are crystals EVERYWEHERE including on the leaves. these NL are great to grow. they seem to do well with higher PPM, as the GH expert program is at 1550, and between rez checks it has been drifting up to 1800 with no noticeable negative effects.

4. looking good man! im going to watch this one till the end...im curious to see how your fans and sugar react which such a high feeding program....ive never went past 1kppm on gh....i was looking at those fans that are bleached on the second picture....

5. wow, I didnt really notice that bleaching. I dont look at them much with the lights off, and it's hard to see that bleaching with the lights on. I think I'm due to change the rez today anyway, and I am going to put in about 70% of recommended nutes. I figured that if every time I check the PPM (about every 12 hours) and it's going up from 1500 to 1700, that means the plants are drinking around the extra nutes in the solution, so I should back off. I have been topping off with straight distilled water to compensate. damn those recommendations from GH! haha.

I'm going to look at maybe trying some different nutes with my next grow, jock horror, or at least backing things off a bit. However, I know that a lot of those extra PPMs are coming from the additional supplements that are included in the expert program, rather than just the 3 part.

oh, and it seems that the bleaching is only on one of the plants, for the most part, which made me think it was a plant issue, rather than a nute issue, since they are all using the same rez.

we'll soon see I guess! hopefully, backing off will help, thanks for the catch ND!

6. Thats cool, hopefully I can have some good buds by ski season, LOL. Love to ski buzzed. I am looking at switching my set up over to recirc like yours. Do your buckets rely on gravity to return to the rez? I was hoping to keep the rez outside the 3 X 3 X 72 tent I have, but the return lines would need to go up about a foot to get to the hole in the tent. Would that impede proper flow back to the rez?

BTW, thanks for the scoop on the nutes for the NL's. I am planning on following the botanicare program with cal/mag thrown in. I chose the NL's for my first grow because it sounds like they are very stress tolerant. I read one quote on a seedbank posting saying they could probably survive a snowstorm. With that, I figured they could withstand my dumbass learning as I go.

7. yeah, they are resilient, although I did most of my learning on bagseed, so I never really tested that. they clone easily too

8. Yeah, funny thing is, I wanted to use bag seed, but hadn't bought weed with seeds for what seemed like years, and I had used all those on outside grows over the last few years.

Any thoughts on the recirc? Do you think I can get the water to flow back up to the hole in the tent and back down to the rez?

9. hmm, good question. how high off the floor will the return hoses be? I think if it's above the water line, you may have problems, but we need to verify that.

yes, . I have a pump that is pushing it to the plants and I just use gravity to return

10. pics of lights out

Attached Files:

11. The rez would be at floor level just like the buckets, but the return lines would have to go up about a foot or so, and then drop back down to the floor level again, . Once I convert to the 2 X 5 Gal set up, it won't be an issue putting another 5 Gal bucket in with them to act as a rez. But right now, I have all the room filled in the tent with the 4 X 3.5 Gal buckets and small humidifier, and I don't think I could fit a 5th bucket in there. If I get a mother tent set up, I could use one of the girls as a mother, and then convert the other 3 to a recirc system, but I wasn't ready to invest in a mother room just yet. What are your thoughts?

12. hmmm, honestly, I'm not sure if the return lines being a foot off the ground will allow the gravity to work or not. maybe try it out and see, or send a message to budslinger or post the question in the hydro forum. I'm interested to find out. my lines have to run about 2" off the floor when the leave my tent, and I was worried about that, but it's working ok, it's just that 1 foot might be over the water line and might not allow the gravity to work it's magic.

13. I just have this weird feeling that the flowers aren't as developed as they should be at this stage, there's only about 2.5 weeks left until planned harvest. of course, they will get harvested when they're ready, and not until, but it seems like my other NL plants on the last grow were bigger at this point.

anyway, not really a worry, just a slight concern. I was thinking of trying out advanced nutrients next grow, although I hate to change if the GH is working. anybody use AN before? Is it worth the extra $$$?

14. i had to go check the first journal you did on the nl....so you are saying you are expected to harvest this crop in 2.5 wks? damn...from the pics i was thinking you were maybe about 21-25 days in flower....not closer to 40.....

i searched all the way back on your first journal and came across this december 29th post: " I changed the flower rez the other day and it's around 1100 ppm, 5.8 pH. no real changes to the bagseed, NL is getting more resin and the flowers are fattening up nicely.

later GC!"

i question again...what made you go all the way to 1500+ ppm this round with your nl? from what i could see in the first journal, you being about 2 weeks from harvest at that point in december was at 1100 compared to now? and that was a beauty of a plant and looked like it yielded decently... i havent tried AN but i do use GH and i dont think the nutes are the problem...maybe just consider certain hybrids cannot handle the higher program...i hit the sweet spot on my hybrid ive been working with and that sweet spot is no more than 1100 ppm in flower.....

15. I guess I shoulda did that ND! just following the instructions on the iPhone app for GH this time vs. the instructions that came with the mutes last time, bit I don't remember where those instructions went. hmm, I backed things off to 1200 today. also, I think last grow I started counting flower time from first sign of flower vs. this time which I started at the 12/12 switch.

you might be right, I might have fed them too much. I remember my pH drifting high last grow, which probably meant my ppm was just right or a little low.

thanks for the tip!

16. also, when I had that first runt NL in the ebb flow system, which would be what I was talking about in the post you mentioned, I think I was using technaflora stuff. I didn't start GH until it came with the waterfarms. that TF stuff always ran super high ppm's, and I had to mix at 66% to get the right ppm

17. i run lucas 2 part....5ml of micro per gallon....8ml of bloom per gallon...but like i said i think all hybrids respond differently...i tend to go low and if need to take it higher depending on how the lady is acting...i will...

18. ok everyone, if you're looking for advice, it's keeping ppm's below 1000, preferably around 800 ppm. I was wondering why my plants weren't getting huge like they did last time, and naughtydread noticed that my ppm's were 2-300 higher with this grow than last and budslinger confirmed that I was too high (as far as nutes go anyway, haha). so I diluted with distilled h2o and brought it back down to 800 where it will stay for the rest of the bloom cycle (not including flush).

i just thought they weren't big enough for the time they've been in flower. I didnt notice the tips of the leaves look burned because it's tough to see under that orange HPS light, but in the dark (with a camera flash) it's fairly easy to see.

so to all you new growers that are following, keep those ppm's around 800 or less for flower! *that is using 20 ppm distilled water*

budslinger says it will make bigger yields, and ain't that what it's really all about? I'm glad the NL is a tough strain, or I might have ruined the crop. damn those GH mixing instructions! mixing at 1/2 strength from now on.

19. are you using molassess? i highly recommend for some extra girth, sweetness and resin production. good carb source.
    also using:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-Flora-Nectar-Pineapple/dp/B00286SMS6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1317082473&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: General Hydroponics Flora Nectar Pineapple Rush - 1 Gallon: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]
    i highly recommend

20. also NL dont go above 1300(last 2-3weeks) unless using aeroponics then hit 1500(last 2-3)

but when your getting down to aggressive bloom time and ripen time your gonna want to ppm spike to 1150-1300