DangerousD's Bubble Bucket scrog Northern Lights

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by dangerousD, Jul 17, 2011.

1. should i cut off some more of the fan leaves so that the flower sites get more light?

2. ^ Seeing as you're already into flower then the safe bet would be no. You left it too late.

However, if you're over 3 weeks in flower (which I'm guessing you are) then just remove the biggest fattest dumb fan leaves that are blocking your wonderful, beautiful, glorious budsites.

Be careful whilst doing this. Just get the leaves that are blocking the budsites but don't go overboard.

When chopping a leaf, leave enough of the leaf stem. This will aid the accompanying branch. Hope this makes sense.

3. Tuck them before you cut them. if you just cant tuck it anywhere and it needs to go, cut it.

i stopped trimming about 2 weeks into flowering, and it put them into shock for sure. after a few days of a break, they are growing and drinking like crazy!

4. I defoliate heavy during veg. The pics shows what I've done to my girls last night.

Now I know it looks like I've just butchered my veggy garden, but you just watch them after a couple of weeks!

*DISCLAIMER* DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE NOT DEFOLIATED DURING VEG!

These are before and after pics...

Attached Files:

5. day 34 of 12/12, day 79 since germination

flowers continue to fatten up and fill up more of each branch. I repositioned some of the larger branches so they were in more direct light. also, some of the smaller side branches have fattened up. I raised the light about 4" so it would be 12" from the tallest branch. I'm feeling better about the yield, I'm thinking 10-12 oz. is a good guess.

I have started to clean up my prep room because in another week I will receive my feminized jock horror seeds. the strain is a mix of northern lights, skunk and haze.

I figure about 20-25 days until I harvest, so the seedlings will be under t5 lights from sprout until the scrog room is available

I liked this grow: started with t5 then when they were about 3-4 weeks, HPS veg. I always used to veg with t5 but they got tall and lanky.

I will continue to scrog, by far the easiest most productive system I've run.

Attached Files:

6. Beautiful grow. How tall are your ladies including the BB, we are working with limited space with a four plant set up, also with a scrog. We are only a few weeks in but seeing your great grow was wondering how much height you are working with?

7. The screen is about 32" from the ground and the tallest branch is at 56" but the majority of the canopy is around 50". Plants were at 6-7 weeks old when i flipped to 12/12

thanks for stopping in and checking out my grow!

8. You've got a few grows under your belt, so you're not exactly a noob anymore. Do you wanna take your run to the next level? Coz I think you're ready for it. It''l give you an even better yield too lol :)

9. This is what we call a "Steady Eddie" where I come from.

You plants have hundreds, perhaps thousands of leaves. When you chop off a leaf, the plant still has many others. Bearing this in mind, do NOT go overboard. Just get the fatty leaves that block budding branches from light. This will increase yield.

Next time you veg, have a go at leaf removal on a plant or two, seeing as you are becoming an intermediate grower. I don't know about you, but I like a good experiment. Best way for us humans to learn new tricks sometimes.

10. here's some lights-off pics. I see that nirvana shipped my jock horror feminized seeds today, so I hope to see them in 8 days or so. sweet!

I think I have 3 weeks left til chop chop, in 2 more weeks I'll put in the ripen portion of the GH expert lineup. buds have a lot if fattening up to do, but if I remember correctly from my last NL grow, the last 3 weeks they blew up bigtime.

later!

Attached Files:

11. They are looking great, my NL just started to show some buds :hello:, I guess she will be the last one to go down. Keep it up :smoke:

12. Looks great in there brotha. Quick Question: Once you transplanted your seeds from paper towel to RW, did you throw them under the light? If so, regular veg schedule? I'm using a 400W MH bulb in my tent, and was thinking that putting my RW in my homemade humidity dome and under the light would do the trick, but that it might get too hot. Maybe keeping them in the humidity dome and leaving them in a dark warm place? Appreciate the help, dude.

13. [quote name='"kryptickasserol"']Looks great in there brotha. Quick Question: Once you transplanted your seeds from paper towel to RW, did you throw them under the light? If so, regular veg schedule? I'm using a 400W MH bulb in my tent, and was thinking that putting my RW in my homemade humidity dome and under the light would do the trick, but that it might get too hot. Maybe keeping them in the humidity dome and leaving them in a dark warm place? Appreciate the help, dude.[/quote]

once they have a taproot out of the seed, I put them in presoaked rockwool cubes and put them in a propegation tray with a humidity dome and a small heating matt under the tray. I keep the bottom of the tray damp with water so as the RW cubes will soak up more water as they dry out and it helps keep the humidity up around 80%. remember that RW raises pH, so presoak in 5.3 pH water. however, I do not put them under light until they are above the ground and opened up just a little. I try to keep temp below 85

• Like Like x 1

14. Hi DD.... I used (and still use) the GH line... in the past I created a thread asking people what they thought of ripen... I had very few replies but all negative, claiming it leaves a bad taste in the buds..... I asked my hydro guy and he said it's very important to keep the soup (ripen only plus water) at 2.1 ec if I remember correctly... well, I followed the instructions pretty well but compared to when I didn't use ripen the"ripened buds" had kind of a heavy, throat hurting, taste..... maybe I screwed up like the guys who advised me against it in the first place but be careful if you still want to use it (or maybe you have already used it succesfully before??) .... that's from my personal experience at least... :wave:

15. #95 dangerousD, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2011
    thanks for the feedback. when you're talking about 'ripen' are you just talking about the last week of GH nutes? or a specific product called Ripen? I was just referring to that last week of feeding that knocks the PPM back down around 950, and backs off of some of the nutes.

I've done grows with a flush and without a flush, and honestly, I couldn't tell the difference in my smoke.

16. day 36 of 12/12 pic update.

ppm's keep jumping up which tells me they were probably too high to begin with. I am topping off with distilled water to bring it back down, and will be doing a full Rez change this weekend. I've found by keeping the ppm's down, it helps keep the pH up. I think my canopy should have been more even and it will hurt my yield that it isn't. most of the 1gram/watt grows are very even as far as canopy goes. not sure where I went wrong but would probably be better if my 4 plants were all cloned from the same plant, asy plants in the back are much taller than those in front.

Attached Files:

17. Yep, I was talking about the specific product called "Ripen"....I didn't have a good experience with it that's all.... maybe it's in my head but I like to flush with water only the last week..... and I do feel a difference in my smoke..... anyways, the brain is a powerful thing.... maybe the difference is just in there..... nice grow btw and happy harvesting! it's going to be cured perfectly by christmas :D

18. ahh, ok, that makes sense, I didn't know you were talking about a specific product. I have really liked the GH expert lineup. I tried technaflora's recipe for success box kit when I started and the pH was all over the place, and when I mixed per the instructions, the PPM was always WAY too high. not sure if I had my PPM meter set wrong when I was using it, but I did a side by side with GH vs technaflora on the same strain (NL) and the GH plants grew bigger and were much more healthy.

on another note, the latest issue of high times had an interesting note that I had not yet read anywhere. It said that if you're growing plants indoors, the resin glands shouldn't ever get amber colored, only milky at the most. however, the plants grown outside will get amber glands as they get close to harvest time. That's why on my first bagseed grow I let it go so long (11 weeks from 12/12) because I kept looking for amber trichomes, and they never appeared. but then again, I think that bagseed must have been some sativa, because it took FOREVER to finish.

19. here are some more lights off pics, not great focus, but better than pics with lights on

I'm starting to actually see the changes from day to day and these girls are really drinking up a ton of water. I'm topping off with straight distilled water, at least 1.5 gal a day between 4 plants (just a guesstimate)

Attached Files:

20. Very nice. Cant wait to see your harvest.