Dangerous D's ak48 bubble bucket grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by dangerousD, Aug 16, 2012.

1. after a hiatus, I have decided to return to growing. Basically, I ran out of quality smoke. I am going to do the exact same grow as last time but rather than Jock Horror strain, I am trying ak48. it's an indica with a short flowering time (48 days, thus the name).

I started today by placing my only 2 feminized seeds into a damp paper towel placed inside a small tupperware container which will be placed on a heating mat.

I predict by day I will see taproots coming out. when this happens, I am going to use small rockwool cubes for transplant, then place in a netpot lid for my 5 gal buckets. Only tap water for the first 2 weeks, then small amounts of nutes. Probably won't go over 1100 ppm at any time during the grow, but will let plants decide.

once they're above the ground, I am planning on using t5 HO fluoro's to get them started inside individual bubble buckets each with 2 airstones, and once I see some decent roots, around week 3, I will move to 18/6 under dual 400w HPS lamps. I had great success keeping those sativa jock horror plants from stretching by using the HPS for Veg and Flower.

I will use the same nute lineup as last time, GH expert system, but since I'm using distilled water, I will add some technaflora magIcal, as I found without it, there was a calmag deficiency.

looking forward to a good grow. Follow along and cheer me on (and give advice, as I'm always open to new ideas.)

later
    DangerousD

2. Hey bro long time! glad to be the first one subbed to what im sure will be an awesome grow! :D:D:D:wave::smoke:

3. Thanks ND, I'm looking forward to getting back into the game. I've missed it!

4. well, shit. both beans had taproots out when I transferred them into pre-soaked rockwool cubes. They should have come above ground by now. I used tweezers and took them out and neither of them were alive. the taproots were the same length as they were when I put them in. I have 2 northern lights seeds (feminized) that I'm going to start to germinate. Not sure if the seeds died from something I did, but I followed the same routine as always.

northern lights it is! it's a hard plant to damage, decent yields and 7-8 week flower time.

5. so yesterday, I put my last 2 feminized norther lights seeds, along with 5 unknown seeds that came as freebies from nirvana into a wet paper towel (just like last time) and put them in the tuperware container on a heating mat. only 1 of the NL popped, the other one looks like it tried to and I just let it stay in there. 4 of the other seeds popped and I put them all in rockwool soaked in 5.3 pH distilled water. They are sitting in a humidome with the heating matt under the bottom. I'll just keep the rockwool moist by hand watering until they come above ground, then I'll be sticking them under the HO t5 fluoro's.

6. I would say today is day -1, but I am feeling + about it

Attached Files:

7. here's some pics after almost 5 days since the seeds popped

8. Hey man, I took a hiatus from GC for a little while, but recently returned a month or so ago. I was excited when I saw you were growing AK-48. I am looking at growing AK-48 next, and was curious if you've grown it before. You must like or at least be interested in it like I am. I look forward to watching your grow.

9. [quote name='"drgoodbud"']Hey man, I took a hiatus from GC for a little while, but recently returned a month or so ago. I was excited when I saw you were growing AK-48. I am looking at growing AK-48 next, and was curious if you've grown it before. You must like or at least be interested in it like I am. I look forward to watching your grow.[/quote]

Well, I didn't have any luck with ak-48 seeds popping, probably due to poor storage on my part, but I'm trying NL fem as well as some nirvana freebies (so I have NO idea what they are). I really wanted to try ak48 due to short flowering time. That jock horror was a great strain but took a long time to flower

10. That's cool. When I read the reviews from Nirvana on the AK-48 I saw that some folks had issue with them not cracking. I just ordered 5 fem seeds yesterday. I hope I don't end up with the same issue. I have 10 freebie seeds I received from Nirvana a while back. I've held onto them awhile, if I grow them outside like I am thinking, it will be over a year, I bet I will have problems with them opening as well.

11. here are the babies. the 4 along the back are the nirvana freebies, in front is the NL. I need to get them transplanted into something, probably net pot lids with hydroton. will xplant tomorrow. this is day 6 or 7

Attached Files:

12. ok, got them moved into net pot lids for 5 gal buckets and will continue to hand water until roots are our of the bottom, then I'll fill the buckets with water and start bubbling

Attached Files:

13. You know, I never thought about it before, but it makes sense to not fill your buckets and run your resevoir right away. At this point, you are top watering anyhow. I think I will do this on my next grow. The only thing I think I would change is I will turn it on before the roots show thru the bottom. I think its good to get that area wet to coax the roots to it.

14. Hey Nice Set up! I'm going to be doing 2 bubble buckets, under 400w for my first grow. I'm a complete novice but I have some time to research as much as I can, while I'm acquiring all the components.

Do you mind if I ask about your air pump? Do you just use an ordinary aquarium pump? Does bigger=better? Could I use one pump for both buckets? Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

15. I use an EcoPlus Eco Air 4. I've never experienced any issue with it, and if you were going to use 2 buckets it would give you the opportunity to use 2 air stones in each bucket.

16. [quote name='"drgoodbud"']

I use an EcoPlus Eco Air 4. I've never experienced any issue with it, and if you were going to use 2 buckets it would give you the opportunity to use 2 air stones in each bucket.[/quote]

agree with this. someone once told me you know you have too much air only when it's blowing the top off the bucket haha. I put 2 airstones in each bucket in veg and will 4 stones in each bucket in flower.

17. day 11, first time I've noticed roots at bottom of net pots. the northern lights is the one with the most roots by far.

Attached Files:

18. day 13

Attached Files:

19. Looking good.

20. #20 dangerousD, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2012
    well, I got my recirculating bubble buckets set back up in the main room. Of the 4 seedlings I had, I picked the NL feminized and one of the healthiest freebies and transplanted them under the 2, 400w HPS lights. I have the lights about 30" above them. I added 50% of GH recommendations for nutes and ended up around 309 ppm. I am using distilled water. I have the carbon filter hooked up to the big sunleaves exhaust fan and 2 oscillating fans running. Overall reservoir amount is 8 gallons.

temp is around 79F and humidity around 35% right now.

the roots on these 2 are tremendous, and I am using the gen hydro expert feeding system again. it worked well last time, no need to swtich. I'd post pics, but they suck with my phone due to the HPS lights. I'll try to get some lights out pics tomorrow and post.