Dance Gavin Dance

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by MasterOG, Apr 1, 2011.

1. anybody on here listen to em?

2. It's safe to say you dig the backseat.

3. Oh man. 4 years ago I was 16 l kinda liked them... But they were kinda bad even when I enjoyed that type of teen music

4. Disgusting.

5. Yeah! :hello:

6. I still love their first EP and Downtown Battle Mountain, but I can definitely understand people not diggin this band haha.

7. They did kinda fall off after DBM, but DBM 2 brought some of that back

8. Definately, I think they got the original line up back?

9. yeah im pretty sure except for the screamer, i think Will Swan was on that, but im not totally sure

10. Its safe to say you dig the backseat is the shit

11. [​IMG]

12. I was sooo pleased when DBM II was released. The first thing I thought of was how much it sounded like DBM which imo was when DGD was their best. I've listened to DBM II three times tonight hahaha. The lyrics are completely ridiculous and both vocalists are great together.

edit:

Yeah Swan is only on guitar now and Mess is back on the screaming like the old days.

13. I know! DBM 2 was definitely an awesome album, and im glad Jon Mess is back! Wasnt the same without him

14. yeah i listen to this band on occasion. jonny craig is a douchebag though, if you know anything about his online scam then you'll agree.

oh and the fact that he went through rehab in a week. lol.... a week? yeah SURE buddy you're cured...

mess is a beast tho, i will give him that.

i've progressed to heavier music than DGD though, mostly deathcore or experimental metalcore for me now. but i listen to all genres :)

15. DBM and Royal are there only good Albums. DBM II was a disgrace to DBM.

16. Nah bro, naaaaaaahhh.
    That's some fucking teenybopper shit. Even though way back, I saw them play. I shared a joint with the black guitar player and I gave him a snowball. You know, those pink coconut marshmallow balls? Yeh.

17. I did hear about his scam, and i was pretty pissed when i heard it. He is a fucking dick but his voice is fucking amazing!

DBM 2 doesnt compare to DBM or Royal but i still vibe to DBM 2. To each his own, though :smoke:

lol will swan? hes a chill dude

18. DBM II is teh shit and haters can fuck off. this shit is real talent and there is no better. YDG?

19. For sure man! They're probably my favorite band to be honest. People can hate on JC and I can fully understand why, but judging the whole band from a purely musical aspect, you'd have to say that they're really fuckin talented and haven't sold out. They've always put out music that THEY enjoy performing regardless of how their "audience" may perceive it as unorthodox or not mainstream. That's what really makes them stand out to me.

I really don't know of any other band that can throw together clean vocals, screams, and a rap verse into a song and turn it into something so beautiful. Haha. They just don't give a fuck and stay real.

Jonny Craig has the most amazing voice I've ever heard, Jon Mess has drastically improved his vocals on the new album, Will Swan is a genius at laying down groovy/intricate guitars (he wrote both rhythm and lead parts for DBMII), Eric Lodge picks the bass masterfully, and Mingus is one of the most skilled drummers I have ever heard. This band just knows how to write music I can really dig, but to each his own.

It is what it is and I understand that some people just aren't into it. Haha.

If I had to rate their albums from best to worst:
    1. DBMI: Classic DGD, seems to be the record with the most energy and I love how raw they sounded. Literally every song on it is great in its own way.
    2. DBMII: Artistically it's the most perfect album. It's like they incorporated the styles of each of their previous ones into each song on this one. It's really pretty amazing and cool that they did this.
    3. Happiness: Very groovy with a lot of jazz influence in the bass/guitars. Kurt Travis fit this album perfectly. His vocal style compared to JC is very different so I think that Travis was the best fit here regardless that the original lineup is the shit.
    4. Royal Ocean: EXTREMELY raw, the roots of the sound they have today were founded here.. clean and dirty vocals at the same time, sounds like guitar solos throughout the entire song that fade in/out of fast/heavy into slow/jazzy. This is what made DGD what they are.
    5. Self Titled: This is the one record they put out that disappointed me. Maybe I was just pissed that JC was gone, but it just seems way too chaotic and dirty for me. It didn't sound like the DGD that they used to be. I can only stand a few songs on this one.

I've followed this band really closely for the past five years and have actually had the awesome opportunity to hear explanations for song titles and record names at a show in Tulsa, get drunk with Kurt Travis at a show in Joplin, and smoke a fuck ton of weed with Travis and Mingus in my hometown. Haha. After we smoked and were driving back to the venue, Kurt played us the entire Happiness album in my shitty Blazer through an auxiliary cable.

They're really chill dudes and before I die I would love to see Jonny compete on American Idol. He would straight KILL it and I think he'd be a pretty good lock to win it. Anyone else second this idea? Haha.