Damn that ***** to hell

Discussion in 'General' started by africantapwater, Jul 11, 2008.

1. I don't know if I missed some city discussion or what not, but it appears to me as though we are repeatedly censoring the word *****.

Its strange, as we can cough up all the other fuckin bullshit we want, but everywhere I go, ***** is always typed up with stars.

What the fuck?

2. Well, one would assume it's because most people don't appreciate hearing racist comments on here, regardless of who uses it.

3. See, thats the conclusion I came to as well.

However, some people don't appreciate any sort of outrageous language. But the choice remains in their hands; whether or not they read it and do or dont pissed off, or take their eyes elsewhere...

So why censor a word that has such a 'common place' in language in 2008, even between *****s themselves?

4. More fights have broken out because of that four letter word (or is it five...?), so the Admins thought it best to sensor the shit out of it.

Fine by me, tbh.

5. Because it's hard to confrim racial identity on the internet; even if one provides pictures of theirself, it's almost impossible to confirm that it's the actual user and not some random pic found on Google. Plus, there are still many black people that look at the term with the same contempt they would if a member of another ethnicity used it. The owners of GC prefer it if no one got offended, rather than a few people.

6. Cool. I dig that standpoint, and I respect the fact that the higher ups made the decision in the best interest of everybody. I'm glad I now know that thats whats been going on, wouldnt want to step out of line.

I do, however, think its inherently foolish to censor some offensive words and not others. Not saying I want all offensive words censored, because where would that list stop? Just mulling over the idea that sometimes people should stand up and say "hey, you know what, I will not let those simple words offend me".

Its a lot to ask, and obviously I'm not about to try to change the world, but damn. Words are not the problem when it comes to racism. Words just pick at those who are prone to injury, and I beg them to dig deep inside themselves and exterminate the roots of their insecurities. Its not the words that are bringing them down, it is they themselves who do the damage.

Exclusion is a powerful problem created by racism, and it works both ways on all levels. If ***** was such a hurtful word to the african-american population, it wouldn't be so prevalent in their culture. But, it is there and its there to stay. So why am I excluded? What makes me so unequal?

I grew up in South Africa in the twilight of Apartheid and watched everyone try so desperately to destroy racism that they ultimately just reversed the direction in which it flowed. I had to abandon my home because of the problems that created.

Want to eradicate racism? Treat everyone equally. Nobody gets any exclusions or any special considerations, everyone is fucking equal. Its that simple.

7. QFT!!

8. Exactly what word are you referring to? Because if its the word I am thinking of it should be 6 stars not 5.:confused:

9. yeah, i thought it was ******

oh, it is...

10. cracker?? what word is it?

11. Oh so we are saying it in ebonic terms? as ****a

hahhha oh shit I get it now, but yeah it is a bit of a touchy word when used in any context.

But if one feels the need to censor a word then that person really shouldnt even type it at all.

12. chink.
    slant.
    slope.
    spic.
    wetback.
    wap.
    kike.
    etc.

why ****** and not those?

13. this board is prolly 95% white so yea the n word has no place here. JMO

14. Not all of those add up.;) But you do hear those less since those races have not adopted the term into their own vocabulary.

15. Well, my best guess is because of the history of the word, not simply due to the fact that it's a racial slur. You still get in enough shit 'round here for saying those things, but personally, I think they should be censored, too. Some words may be worse than others, but they're still all terrible, and nobody should be called that on a forum of stoners, of all things. We're supposed to be laid-back, peaceful people, not racists.

16. I don't understand how you of all people would stand up in this thread about getting ****** off the threads.

17. Very well said, even though sometimes we have a disagreement with another member and insults become involved, but the last thing that should ever be done is spew a racist comment. No matter what race one may be.

And no matter if you may be of African decent and you feel comfortable using ****a as a acceptable word, it should be replaced so others are not encouraged to use it unjustly

18. <object width="425" height="344">Enough said.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1_y_LaMokGM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

19. Thats the exact shit I'm talking about. No offense and I'm really, really not trying to bash on you at all here, but that reasoning and justification is even more racist than the word ***** itself.

***** is just a word. It's not a racist word. It can be used in a racist context, just as easily as it can be used in any other context. Honestly. To treat it as anything more than a word is to give it the power to be more than a word.