Damaged Clones

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by LT Patterson, Dec 31, 2011.

1. This is my first attempt at  taking cuttings, but I messed up and I need some insight. I took them from the mother plant about 2 and a half weeks ago and put a humidifier next to them, keeping the rH >95% for what turned out to be too long. All the stems and even veins  turned a dark purple, so I eased the rH down to 80-85%. Aside from the discoloration and some drooping everything seemed fine. Unfortunately I had to go out of town unexpectedly for a few days and the humidifier went dry, when I got back the rH was down to ~50%. About half of the foliage was brown, dried out and curling, and most of the rest was different shades of yellow, from pale green to almost white, although there was still some green (and don't forget all the purple stems). So I basically ended up with these strange looking little multicolored cuttings. I restored the rH back to ~80% and since then they have turned more green again, but the parts that went completely brown did not recover at all. Also, there's definitely been some vertical growth, the bottoms of the stalks by the soil are now green instead of purple, and a bit thicker too. So to me it seems like they've all rooted, but I need to know if they're still fit to be grown. In the last few days, I've noticed new growth coming out of the nodes in most of the cuttings, but there doesn't appear to be any new top growth on any of them. In fact, most of the tops are just completely dried up and crispy. Is the new nodal growth usual, or are they reacting as if they've been topped? Will the tops ever grow or are they all doomed to be tiny bushes? I'm reluctant to scrap them because they were all taken from mothers that are now flowering and I don't want to have to take any cuttings post harvest.

Edit: Before posting I decided to check up on them closely and I see a few new, green, healthy looking tops peeking out from behind the old scorched tops. The rest still show no signs of top growth though. So I guess my new question is, will the cuttings with new top growth become healthy plants or will they always be weak/sickly? Also, what is the best rH for cuttings that have only recently rooted? I still try to maintain it at 80%, but I'm weary of overdoing it again.

2. At this point I'd just like to know if they're capable of becoming healthy plants or if they're too heavily damaged. If its just that they need time to recover, they have plenty of that, they can't be under a real light for at least 3 more weeks

Attached Files:

3. im having a bit of a problem with my cuttings at the moment too, well its not really a problem its just taking a lot longer than usual..
    anyway with regards to your cuttings are they or were they in a humidity dome, what light do you have on them? what ferts are you using if any?
    they will survive but if i was you id get some new seeds or cuttings orelse your just starting off a bad plant with a weak foundation, sure you would get some bud of them but its not going to be as good as it could be! and they are definetly not good candidates for mother plants.
    try not to touch anything that is close to the stem and remove any of that nasty brown foliage you can with scissors trying not to touch the stem.
    oh and id turn of the humidifyer and use spray bottles to keep the humidity up just nice clean ph'd water two or three times a day. if theres roots the room should be 60/70 percent humidity untill you change to 12 hrs when you drop to 40/50 %.

good luck.

4. I was on my way to post a thread when this article caught my eye. although when I saw the war and peace length question I just skipped to the end. a humidity dome as a must @$7. 5.5 pH water@ free, cloning gel $10, tiny rockwool cubes @$7, and a razor blade @ free you have any middle eastern friends. Be sure to notch the bottom of the stems with the razor blades before it being in the cloning gel. 10-14 days, voila¡! I have had 98% success rate.

5. I tried making a makeshift humidity dome but it was easier to just put the humidifier next to them, one of those "cool mist" ones that just pumps water droplets into the air. They're in FF Light Warrior, and neither they nor their mothers had ever been ferted (mothers were in FFOF and have only been ferted recently), and they're under two 14W 6500K fluoros.

So do you think I would be better off tossing these and taking more at the end of this harvest (~3 weeks) from the same mothers? I know it would be a long time until they root and re-enter vegetation again, so could these injured clones become fully healthy in that same amount of time, or are they always going to be weak no matter how much time they're given to recover? I failed to mention this, but I'm only planning on keeping the healthiest 4 of them, which is half. The 4 that are least healthy will be determined and removed in a few days.

6. not too sure but dont think that you can take cuttings that late into flowering and i would imagine that the stress levels would be high so your talking about alot of work.
    is it a special strain that your trying to keep? and are you planning to keep one of the cuttings for a future mother? that would be a bad idea, but just to get some bud, what have you got to loose just bud them when there real small. dont waste too much time on them tho and get some new seeds, atleast 3 feminised then take the best one and use her for the mother plant, within one month you will have cuttings coming out your arse buddy!