Damage done by anti-vaccination movement

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Malvolio, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Benefits outweigh the risks, IMO. Not vaccinating is a selfish risk.

2. Not that I don't trust every post you have ever made...but can I get a link or two?  You did make various claims.

3. When did... What are...  Apples and tuna?  
    I was asking for more recent scientific findings on ethylmercury's affect on the brain and you come with cyanide apples?  

@General 
    I see a lot of attention given to blades who are/may be "anti-vaccine" but I have yet to see verified rebuttals to the issues I've raised...just sayin.

Why are vaccine manufacturers immune from lawsuits?
    Where are the "science community's" findings that everything is fine?

4. #64 GazzaOak, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
    Actually that can still happen, but its will end up relatively minor in comparison to a non-vaccinated person, and can make a difference between life and death....

5. Certain vaccines have done human society good - small pox, polio, MMR.

How about the Swing Flu vaccine though? And the annual scare that goes w/ the flu shot? Tell me some of this shit isn't a scam to fill the pockets of drug company shareholders - I'll call you a smelly liar.

Personally, I'm waiting for the fat bastard vaccine - one that will stop the spread of giant lard asses. When over 1/3 of the adult population is obese and getting ready to acquire Diabetes Type II, I tend to worry more about that than a few people getting a disease from not taking their vaccines :smoking:

Of course, you probably don't trust the CDC either...

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/thimerosal.htm
    http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Concerns/thimerosal/thimerosal_timeline.html

I think his point is that there is more cyanide in apples then there is mercury in vaccines.   But here is some more recent data:

Do you trust the World Health Organization? (probably not)
    http://www.who.int/vaccine_safety/committee/topics/thiomersal/en/index.html

They aren't. It's just a different process:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine_court

Every major body of science, and medical association in the world supports the use of vaccines. Your challenge is to find one that does not.

And just for fun.  The whole article is good, but the last paragraph sums it up nicely:

http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/vaccine-deniers-abuse-appeal-authority/

Since obesity and Diabetes aren't contagious, that simply made no sense concerning the topic at hand,  

If you want to stop obesity you have to ban processed foods loaded with added sugar and excess fat, or ration the amount of food people can eat.  Both require an overpowering authority like government, and I doubt you support that.

I know obesity and it's derivatives aren't communicable.

I just think it's ironic a nation full of fat bodies will whine about a few hippies not taking vaccines when there's an obesity epidemic that poses a much greater risk to society at large.

It is if the communicable diseases don't spread because they didn't get vaccinated.   I think a small pox outbreak outweighs fatties in the problem department though.

10. #71 goober0331, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014

I'm surprised you would advocate government intervention to stop obesity.

Are people obese because a lack of government intervention, or because they make poor lifestyle choices? So wouldnt a better option be to educate, then impose force (laws) onto people?

11. #72 RippedMonk, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014

I wasn't advocating for government intervention.  Read my post again.   I was just saying the only way to effectively stop it would be government intervention.  Personally, I can't help people not be fat and unhealthy.  That is on them. 

It would be better to educate, but you know as well as I do that people don't want to be educated, they find more bliss in ignorance. .

Hmmm, fair enough, but it was confusing.

Idk, I'm more optimistic about it. I was overweight and lost 100+ pounds a few years back, and just feel like more people can do it if they are simply motivated enough.

13. I posted this link above, but I'm going to post it again, because it is a REALLY well-written piece:

http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/vaccine-deniers-abuse-appeal-authority/

It's not just about vaccines, but science in general and how scientific consensus is formed.  It's a good read for anyone who thinks that evolution isn't real, or that climate change is a hoax, that vaccines are some kind of conspiracy, or that AIDS isn't real...

14. the point was that the ammount yoh get in a vaccine that you take once in your life is most likely insignificant.

Like the ammount of cyanide in apples

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. I don't get flu shots, don't have the money nor the time but even if I did my simple routines and cleanliness usually keeps that bug outta me.

Though I have had my hepatitis sets and others required of anyone in the emergency medicine field. They only one that affected me was the meningitis one. Went home after being vaccinated and had all the symptoms; fever, headache, sore neck. Went to bed rolling in hallucinations thinking I was dying of a swollen brain but woke up the next morning healthy as can be.

That whole experience gave me an appreciation for vaccines. Makes me super happy that my immune system beat meningitis (albeit a weakened version) and that I won't ever contract meningitis without putting up a fight. I mean that shit can kill you the day you become infected without hardly any warning or symptoms.

I was telling him how obesity could be stopped, at least past the point where it is a national issue. 

I've lost up to 50 lbs before and know it can be done as well.  Motivating the masses though is an entirely different story.

17. We in the US atm and I can't believe portion sizes in restaurants.  Each time we order a meal, we say, this could very easily be (almost) two portions.  Our meals have been delicious, but massive.  Even the ice cream scoops are huge; one scope is like two Canadian scopes.

18. so? We oay the price for the ammount regardless.

Ever hear of a take out box?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

You should be able to pay based on portion.  This is one reason I don't eat out (wife excluded). ;)