Damage control

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Furou, Sep 20, 2011.

1. So I'm flying to Amsterdam with a couple of friends in a week.

Another friend who never smoked but is very curious about it and has really wanted to try for a long time (but hasn't cause he's afraid) decided to join us. As a kid, he was very influenced by all the anti weed campaigns, so now even though he's an adult, and he's studying for a degree in biology so he's all rational and facts oriented and shit and reads the latest research I forward him on how it's not that harmful, he still holds some irrational fear that was planted in his head by the local anti drug organizations. Now take that and magnify that x1000000 and you get his mom. She's extremely old fashioned and conservative about weed, she's like reefer madness in human form. Plus she's insanely protective of him.

So anyway, last friday they did a piece on the main news about the new possible dutch coffee shop laws, talking about Amsterdam, etc and I'm guessing his mom saw that, because he tells me now that she brought up the subject of the evil drug in Amsterdam ("can you imagine they actually sell it there in a shop? with menus???") and he was like "Oh hey crazy protective mom who in your mind sees smoking weed pretty much as killing yourself, I'm actually thinking about smoking". He actually thought it was a good idea to smack her on the head with that. And he's still not made up his mind. I couldn't believe he was serious.

Anyway, that set off a nuclear bomb in his house, she started freaking out and crying that she's going to lose her son, blah blah blah.... and he said she threatened to even call my mom, whom has no idea I smoke, because she thinks my mom trusts him going with me, and now that he told her he might try, she should be warned or something.

How the fuck do you do damage control on this shit? How do I help the friend and also prevent his mom from freaking out my parents (they don't know I smoke, they are also kinda old fashioned in that regard and I don't want it falling on them like this and worrying the shit out of them)? I suggested he try to make his mom watch The Union.... and to play on her emotions by telling her that if she calls that will only cause unnecessary panic and that my parents are old and don't need some fucking crazy lady freaking them out.

2. Show her the union, facts about marijuana how it isn't dangerous, blah blah blah and hopefully you change her mind.