Dam I miss my dad

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by coreyheart, Aug 6, 2009.

1. I just need somewhere to vent. Sorry for the buzz kill.

I'm 21 and my dad passed away from a heart attack last year. He pissed me off my whole life with his drinking. One day he called me and I told him never to call me again, he didn't. He died a few months later. The last thing I said to him before he died was "never call me again".

I feel horrible. I wish I could take it all back and just have been there for him. I knew he always loved me and always took me fishing and camping when I was younger. I don't know why I'm typing this but I havent spoken to anyone about this. I feel like shit.

2. dont worry bro you'll be back with him in say 70 years. until then have as much fun as possible thats deff what he would have wanted you to do.

3. you're not getting enough love here man. regardless of what you said to your dad you were still his son and he was still your dad, words don't really change what's there.

don't beat yourself up man, fathers and sons will disagree and get in fights until the end of time. he never called you back because he loved the fucking shit out of you, but you know what, the guilt you're feeling now is just a testament of how much you loved the guy too. that father/son bond isn't bound by life or afterlife, he'll always be your dad and you'll always be his son.

best of luck man, i promise everyone here is rooting for you.

4. True That!^^^^

5. #5 FCFondler, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009

^ now thats some bullshit (there's no evidence to substantialize any of that)

You miss the image you created of your dad. Could you have done anything differently while he was living to improve your situation? Perhaps you should use him as an example and treat everyone around you w/the correction of his communication/behavior flaws. Last words dont mean shit, the universe recycles itself and his transient conciousness has been disconnected. At least he nurtured/spoiled you at the beginning of your life, but was that even necessary?

personally, i'm a fan of mothers
    [​IMG]

6. Death is not as great a divide as you may think.

Love will change your view, and you will become, perhaps closer now, than ever before.

The rift with your dad was normal male animal behavior. Don't regret it, for it could not have been any other way. Embrace your memories, and become the man you wished he would have been.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fOudvHXnGM"]YouTube - The Man in the Moon, Adrian Belew cover[/ame]

7. Yo man. Sorry about your loss. I know how it feels. My father also passed away when I was 21 (two years ago). We never had any "never call me again" arguments, but I have made my father rather sad on occasions.

And besides. If your father took you fishing and all that, then there is reason to believe that he knew you, and that he wouldn't take that so seriously what you said. His fatherly instincts were still in effect, you know.

Anyway, feel fre to msg me if you need someone to talk to. after all, I do meet the "qualifications"

8. It's unfortunate that things had to go down the way they did, but that's how it goes, huh?

It sounds like what's really eating you isn't so much the fact that your latest conversation with your dad was negative as much as it is that you worry that he didn't know that deep down you really loved him.

Hopefully your father knew you well enough to know that you did actually love him and that you were just angry when you spoke to him.

It's possible, though, that he felt very guilty about his actions that may have pushed you away from him and he was beating himself up too much to realize the truth about your love.

At any rate, whether you believe in the soul/God or whether you believe a being simply drops out of existence upon death, know that your father is at peace. Forgive him for his mistakes and forgive yourself for your mistakes. Like other posters have said, aim to become the parent later in life you wished your father could have been.

9. This might sound a bit cold-hearted, but death do not redeem anyone.

If your dad was not there when you needed him, if he did not display the love one could expect, then so what if your last words to him were less than loving.

On his deathbed he might have seen the errors of his way, but to be frank it was a bit late, no?

I went through much the same thing when my mother succumbed to leukemia three years ago. We did not speak to eachother much, ever since I left to create my own life away from her detrimental grasp.

From 19 to 33, she did not visit once, did not call once. I did, until I gave up when I was 22. I did not learn of her illness from her, but through my sister. My mother did not infact call me, until a couple of days before she died.

I could give no redemption.

And I have no problem with that.

Love is how you live, how you treat others dear to you over time. It is not pangs of regret when close to death. Then it is way to late.

10. #10 FCFondler, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009

Truth, parents are the participants/creators/perpetuators in this contradictory/corrupt world. Don't let your irrational emotions fool you; the object is to love everything boundlessly.

11. sorry, this is a bit off-topic, but John Edward is a duche.

12. Coreyheart,

Sorry to hear about your Father. I am sure you and know first hand your going through a ROUGH time. I'm not going to sit here and give some Dr. Phil advice crap but here is a suggestion that may help you get clousure. Write a letter to your Father. An honest letter. How you feel, how you felt. What he meant to you. Happy times, bad times. Apologize to him for saying that. Wish him peace. Really put your heart and soul into it. You be surprised how much you put down on paper once you get started. Then, when the time is right, and you'll know within go to the grave and read him the letter. Then burn it. This will be hard, but I think it may help.

13. that's some true as shit right there.

14. He would want you to be happy friend, though harsh words passed, they are only words, he knows and you know yall loved and cherrished each other!
    Hive life to the fullest, laugh until you cant laugh anymore, love as if you have never loved before!
    I think thats the right quote!