Dallas First Grow Journal

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by DallasDrone, Nov 17, 2014.

1. #1 DallasDrone, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2014
     i want to start my journal by introducing myself and setting the scene.

i won't tell you my real name, the flower i wish to cultivate is illegal in my country and i'm not thrilled with the situation, for that reason i wish to remain like most of you "internet anonymous" which doesn't mean i can't make connections with people as "DallasDrone" and i won't use correct capitalizations either, deal. i live on the east coast of the US, i've been across the u.s. and back a billion times the world once or twice in my former job. i don't travel like that anymore so i'm spent the summer jobless attempting my first grow in a modified mini fridge grow box, i moved during that time and when i switched to flower right after the move i (FO SHO) got hermied out of my only two plants, I since got a tent and better supplies, I show you...just wait... I started this current grow and i'm so excited to share it with this community! 

my bed is on the ground, my laptop is out with my xbox controller right there ready with GTA 5 to distract me if my dopamine levels drop even slightest amount, my trusty orange grinder is waiting for me with bud someone else grew in it, that doesn't sit right with me for so many reasons... so i'm growing my own, I STILL SMOKE IT, but i'm growing my own. haha. my closet has a slight hum of a fan in it, but the vent fan in my bathroom is louder. there's a couch by the door of my room that blocks the sight of a mini fridge that is lined with car windshield reflective material from the dollar store - $2. there's a real mini fridge sitting on top of it with my girlfriend's beer in it. 

a little about me i was a "good kid" growing up. i found beer around age 21 (not lying) starting brewing beer like a real beer snob then moved all around the country and tried weed for the first time before traveling all around the world tasting samples of good bud from everywhere i went....(short story: i stayed in coffee shops in amsterdam for two days BY MYSELF s t o n e d because no one i worked with smoked weed at the time, just me, i don't remember much more than the hash) after i got done with my traveling itch i developed a gluten allergy, so i stopped brewing beer and tried making moonshine out of an old beer wort chiller, i'm really good at distilling but i don't like drinking very much, pretty much not at all anymore, but i smoke probably as much as you the reader does. every day.

i'm upgrading my grow operation one piece at a time, i'm poor in material wealth but rich in spirit, i get up every day without a hangover (thanks MJ) and get to it, whatever it is. i hate idle hands and that active attitude is why i had to switch from brewing beer to moonshine and why i HAD to switch from less of making moonshine and focusing on growing until my hermies popped, then i made shine for my neighbors for awhile, just to see how far i could push the fermenting side of it. now i'm back to growing for the better part of six weeks. i've been lurking these forums for a couple of years now learning as much as i can, and that helped me alot in my first grow but i got my first baby to three feet, so i feel confident in my growing abilities so far. 

Now for my journal:

I have a 48x24x60 tent with plenty of vent and exhaust openings. 

i have my plants in their smaller vegetative pots including two 2 liter bottles, then when we go to flower we'll be transitioning into three gallon pots (trying to get my hands on some inexpensive smart pots locally before then, shouldn't be an issue) I'm growing in miracle grow with a bunch of perlite... it know it's not ideal but i'll go organic next time round, until then i'll go easy on nutes until flower. 

I've been messing around with figuring out lights for the better part of six months and i recently built this contraption out of a piece of wood my girlfriend found, a fan she lent me, six nails from my roommate, two hooks and a bungie chord i had, and two light strips with the CFL's i've collected over some time. I'd say the total cost of this setup including bulbs was under $45. it's hanging by two separate nylon ropes that have similar lengths and hooks on the end so i can raise and lower it very easily. before this rig i had one power strip with two bulbs and one little fan creating temps up to 89 degrees, freaking me out daily! now i have six bulbs pumping out 200w of healthy multi spectrum light at 84 degrees at full blast and down to 68-70 at night running 18/6 lighting (i fell like a fat hog is cfl heaven compared to what i was doing) right now my RH is low at 34% but that's because i did a cleaning that you'll read about in my back entries. and watering is tonight and we'll get back up there...

my exhaust fan is a small usb powered fan that sits in the top exhaust vent (as seen in the pic) and it does a great job of pumping the warm air out! i have a 6 inch inline fan and filter on the way, but i hate when people say that in their journals, so i'll just show it to you when it gets here. 

here are my back entries from my actual hand written journal, please be kind. i am and was high when writing all of this, i am by no means a professional writer and i hope my ideas are communicated well through the typing medium. 

11/8/14

transplanted and topped Norma Jean. Germinated two dank bag seeds from across the hall, watered with untreated tap and 1/8 strength GH Flora. need to get ph meter 

11/10/14
    CFL burn trimmed bottom two burned leaves (watered to runoff) took off monster bulb added two smaller CFLs. 

11/11/14
    Planted two germinated seeds (dank bag) in same pot to see what happens, re arranged lights. Norma Jean is darker green and healthy after snip and light burn. 

11/13
     One seed sprouted right away, yesterday. The other is rising out of the ground with a little green. Norma Jean is healthy and got a watering with veg nutes, will keep an on out for extra green/growth or nute burn. hoping for the best. I named her norma jean, a pretty name for a voluptuous lady. 88 degrees 70% humidity for seedlings (no mold) 

11/16 

I built my double strip multi spectrum CFL light board w/ fan today. It's hanging from my tent frame and running on a timer with the fan. 1 55w 2100k, 1 32w? 2500k?, 2 23w 2700k, 2 23w 6500k (more expensive), I want to add three more maybe as side lighting w/ lamps i already have. 

norma jean is doing well in her 1.5 gal pot. after topping two strong nodes are coming up in it's place. I"m gonna make LST hooks in the next few days and start the process of pinning the and growing around the pot. 

!!!! Gwen Stacey and Lois were planted in the same 1.5 gal pot after/during germination and i separated them into 2 liter coke bottles w/ holes drilled into the bottoms and drip pans for all that need them ;) I 'm afraid the soil will be nutrient rich so i will be watching out for nutrient burn when i add water/nutes in the future. 

No plant got a watering today, I cleaned the environment very well before I added the lights and everyone got a good spray down. humidity dropped after i mopped up some water and cleaned drip pans (to 38% from 78%) but water day is tomorrow and the squirt will last until then. I heard the fan cut off because of the time, so I guess I'm off to bed. I want to make my grasscity journal tomorrow. 

Back to present day: thanks everyone for looking at my journal, I'm open to suggestions and comments, questions or anything. I'm new to contributing to this community but i know who a lot of you are, and I'm excited to benefit from everyone's advice and have people benefit from what i'm putting out there! as you can see, we probably play with a lot of the same toys, so lets talk about them! 

Attached Files:

2. #2 DallasDrone, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
    11/18/14

Norma Jean is flourishing under the new lights and you can see her new stems coming in where she was topped! I used a tent stake to pin her down and start her LST today. Her stem is still thin and flexible enough that it wasn't a problem, even though she's over a month old. I'll admit Norma Jean has been getting better attention lately and that's why she's doing better than the first three weeks of her life.

I didn't take a pic of Lois and Gwen Stacey but they're growing slowly but surely and they're greeeeeeen!

Lighting: today I switched a flowering spectrum 23 watt for a bright veg 23 watt GE bulb, I placed all three 6500k 23w bulbs above Norma Jean.

On a personal note, I'm thinking about selling my truck, I work a block away from where I live.. Maybe winter isn't the best time to make that decision.

Attached Files:

3. looks good man. but Im no professional :)  .  I subbed in, we are kind of close in the stages with essentially the same stuff (light, soil) and i want to LST.

I have a question thought, i think you topped it so it created two nodes and focuses energy onto the lower branches sense LST (the kind i envision) involves the lower leaf sets being the bud bearers. correct me if I'm wrong though.

What week was Norma Jean when you topped her??

I'm actually on my first week anniversary (baked a cake, and made some cupcakes to celebrate ;) ) since first sprouting.
    I actually need to go update my journal so im going to do that but im curious about your LST techniques and when you first topped and started LST.

Thanks Drone

-Homemaker

4. looks good man. but Im no professional :)  .  I subbed in, we are kind of close in the stages with essentially the same stuff (light, soil) and i want to LST.

I have a question thought, i think you topped it so it created two nodes and focuses energy onto the lower branches sense LST (the kind i envision) involves the lower leaf sets being the bud bearers. correct me if I'm wrong though.

What week was Norma Jean when you topped her??

I'm actually on my first week anniversary (baked a cake, and made some cupcakes to celebrate ;) ) since first sprouting.
    I actually need to go update my journal so im going to do that but im curious about your LST techniques and when you first topped and started LST.

Thanks Drone

-Homemaker

That part about the lower branches becoming the bud bearers if a little bit off, but when you top a plant it, it does focus more energy on the lower branches and it becomes (for lack of a better word) BUSHIER. The branches that get the best light will be the best bud producing branches.

Take your time to notice things with your first grow and you'll have so much knowledge your second time around! Also do what I do and stay up all night listening to music and reading these forums until you pass out, you'll develop brand and strain preferences to things you've never used and more importantly you'll learn what works for other people and how you can apply that to your grow. 

And Norma Jean was topped at 3 weeks I believe, she could have been topped sooner but in the early stages of her life I frankly didn't give a shit about her. When the other girls came around Norma Jean got more attention, and now she's dark green and has two nodes and is lookin like a healthy growing teenager lol 

My LST techniques will be changing because I decided to go with a SCROG (yet to be built) method. In the past I've drilled holes in the sides of my pot and used wire to tether the branches down and LST it with wire and hand manipulation. Remember that LST is so that all the branches get the chance to share the light, so stress them in different directions. 

Thanks for stopping in! 

5. The last pic looks like she needs a touch of nitrogen. Try to give her some EWC tea or like a quarter strength nitrogen dose, that'll help. 

6. 11/23/14 

I fell asleep at 2 am last night after work and tending the garden, I woke up at 6 this morning and started working on the journal a bit  :bongin:

Yesterday I got all up in my girls  :ey: and watered them, took pics for the journal, and most importantly INSTALLED MY INLINE FAN! My temps went from 88-91 to 77-81 I lowered my temps by a full ten degrees and there's so much more air circulation going on in there! The lights come back on in a half hour and I can't wait to check on what the night temperatures were.
      IMG_5711.JPG

The filter fell during installation and stressed out the plants because it was a violent fall, but no one was hurt and there's no use in crying over spilt soil. This is a photo of the tent from the outside the vent is directly out into the closet with the door cracked, it's loud but my girlfriend and I can handle it. The tent is now completely light proof, before now my usb fan made my light leak situation less than perfect. 
    IMG_5708.jpg

This is a photo of Norma Jean, she has two beautiful nodes coming out where she was topped but as you can see those bottom leaves are dying. Now I suspect nute burn because I bought miracle grow and not organic soil but it also could be a N deficiency and I have plenty of nutes around to correct that problem if needed... I'm gonna wait until the next watering for whatever move I take, by then my ph test strips will have come in the mail.
      IMG_5712.jpg

Gwen Stacy got topped and is looking good, Lois is looking good but probably won't be topped until later this week.
      IMG_5713.JPG

I'm really high, I hope I didn't forget anything.  :smoke:
    ALSO my RH dropped to 29% I sprayed a shit ton with a squirt bottle and poured water in the pan Gwen Stacy and Lois are in, came home from work and it was a measly 33%. Should I be worried that it's not at least 40% like I've read other people say is best for veg? 

7. hey man that inline fan looks slick! ill have to get one of those sometime or maybe just go with your usb fan version for now :) haha.
    honestly i would trim those leaves . like cut them right behind the dead. Your going to be wasting a lot of energy trying to heal those leaves when you could easily just remove them.  food for thought. i know a lot about plants and growing ( just new to MJ plants) i used to work for a landscape company for 3 years and am now doing 4-6 jobs a year on my own.

Check out my update if ya would. got some discoloration going on. i think its overwatering but could be wrong.

Homemaker

8. I'm torn because I'm not sure if its a n deficiency or nute burn OR light burn cuz my temps were hot the last week or so before my fan came in. If the new growth shows any discoloration I think I'll add some floragro. I cut the dying leaves off.

9. hello all,

here's a small update of the grow.

IMG_5731.jpg

Norma Jean is back up, I feel like I learned my lesson not to LST too early, it seriously slowed her growth so i let her up and she's doing fantastic, I lst when she seems healthy and thriving.

IMG_5732.jpg

Gwen Stacy as you can see has her two tops coming out from where I pinch topped her, and yesterday i topped Lois so she dosent show much on top (shes the one in the back in the bottle).

IMG_5733.JPG

i changed up my lights to 6 6500k 23w cfl's. I also got (not pictured) a fan controller that really helps with the noise, and you can control the temp with it too!

IMG_5734.JPG

I duct tapped a little cd booklet to my fan to keep it from blowing directly on the plants, it was like a hurricane on them all the time and i feel like that stunted their growth as well. I love this project, and it's always fun to see whats going on with the life of your plants and adjust accordingly... nothing turn key about it.

i ordered some of Cindys Blue Cheese from Oregon Green Seed, I sent off for it and I'll get it back soon, so I'll keep you all updated on that.

10. Lookin good man. That sucks Norma got stunted. How old was she when you did it?

I LSTed one of mine last night so I'm eager to see how she will respond to it. I imagine going to be stunted for a little bit.

My little ones are pretty close to yours now it looks. I switched to a 400W MH fixture and they have been eating it up man.

I'll update tonight though.

Yours are looking good though man, I like the topped one , coming in nicely.

Norma Jean was probably six weeks old when I pinned her to start the LST process. But up until then she was never very strong and I don't expect a lot from her, if she grows and proves me wrong I'll be super happy but I'm putting more eggs in the genetics I ordered rather than the bag seed that seems to be growing slowly because I abused her early in life. I ordered OGS Cindy's Blue Cheese.

How's the 400w working out? Do you have a hood? How did your temps change? 

I'm struggling with the idea of getting a 600w mh/hps setup from amazon, it's a great deal but I vent into my bedroom and I suck air from and blows air into the same room. I'm afraid this plan won't work out ventilation wise so I'm leaning towards a LED Mars-Hydro 3w Reflector series either the 144 x3w or 96x3w . LED creates less heat than my CFL's are producing right now, and my fan is currently working ventilation wise so I'm happy with my current temperatures (around 73-79 degrees)

If someone reading this has ventilation thoughts for me I'd me more than happy to listen, I really would prefer to get the MH/HPS setup because it's gonna provide more lumens and hopefully better buds, I just don't wan't to run it on half power because I can't handle the heat (I haven't proven that I can't handle the heat yet) when I could be running a sweet LED instead with less power draw and less heat. 

12. The 400w is great. It has a lot more penetration I feel, and obviously brighter. my buddy gave me 2 of the. So I'm thinking about putting the second one up too because the little ones are starting to grow like crazy. Currently the temps are staying 77-82. Keep in mind though that my room isn't a box per say. Has no roof. I'm in the process of hanging the mylar plastic up to cover a bigger area and then it will be totally enclosed. But until then there's a lot of potential air flow if I need it.

I've heard great things about the multi spectrum LED lights. My local store carries them and the guy swears by them but they are 600$ a pop which he says covers a 3x3' area. Not too impressed with that coverage. The HIDs were free so that's the route I went. I know LEDs produce virtually no heat outward. But if you were to get one of those hoods that has the ducting in and out of it I think you would be golden. I don't have the hood though it's just a whole HID light fixture, so it's round with a reflective shroud on it.

I think you should go HID, but that means you'll need to get a MH as well as HPS. I still need to get my HPS for flower.

I haven't updated in a couple weeks, meant to the other day but did the have time with all the LST I did. Will get around to if sooner than later haha

13.  I've pretty much convinced myself to get this baby. It's a 96x3w reflector series ( http://www.topledgrowlight.com/reflector-led-grow-light-96x3w-65.html#.VIC6EGTF8rM ) and it should be food for two plants, maybe three but I can upgrade as time goes by. I just want a solid flowering LED because of my venting issues. 

FREE IS FREE and that's so awesome about your HIDs, we're obviously dealing with different environments if I felt like I could use a MH/HPS setup I would, and at my next place I hope to upgrade to that level. Right now I have to make the best of what I have and I think this LED is perfect for me and my budget and my heat displacement situation. 

I've been listening to this comic/musician his name is Tim Minchin, he has a awesome special on Netflix. He's so hilarious and he pokes a little fun at religion here and there...long story short he has this Christmas song thats funny but really sweet, it's called White Wine in the Sun. Check it out! 

14. That LED looks sweet. The only thing I see negative about it is that if it overheats it shuts off. In my experience, LEDs don't get very hot at all but that would suck to leave all day and it be off when it's supposed to be on, ya know. And the person describing it doesn't quite know much about lighting lol a lot of mis terms used but Idk if that person is the creator or not, hope not lol. It's a good size light though for 170$

I still need to get my flowering light but I will eventually lol. Waiting for that free one to come along ;) .

White wine in the sun, ha got it, I'll check that out

I'm not worried about the person who wrote the copy, their rep sara (sarah?) is on this forum a lot and their LEDs have mad good reviews across the board, including some really enthusiastic people on this site. 

It would suck to come home and find it off, but I have the carbon filter and fan pumping air out and I don't think it would get up to a temp that would overheat the unit. With my six 23w 6500k CFLs and fan on around 65% I'm at 75 degrees right now, which is fine for me, I have a feeling the LED would actually be less heat and it won't be as close to the plants as the CFLs are now. Thoughts? 

16. Looking good. I have a similar cfl grow going. If you splurge on the led I'd love to see the difference. Check out my grow because I'll be following along w/ yours. I'm in my impatient beginning stages though. Good luck & better smoke.

Sent from my iPeezy
    So much blue cheeze I don't fuck with ranch no more

17. I checked out your grow, looks promising and I can't wait to see some green! I've decided to get one but the options are pretty endless. 

There's the Mars II and Reflector Series I'm looking into, their older 3w model looks like it would be great for veg too... Then on amazon UFO has a bunch of good (as in reliable and good reviews) LEDs that are between 60-135w if I'm getting larger than 100w I'd probably go with a reflector series...but if i decide to start small I'd consider a UFO. My tent isn't huge so I don't want the 5w Mars II heating up my small space...

Obviously I'm still making up my mind. 

18. Then there's COB style LED chips (including tons of things about spectrum I don't understand). There's generic LEDs on amazon and ebay alike, they're so inexpensive that even if they broke it's not that much money to "just see" what happens. There's even some people on GC that talk about building their own LED's I haven't seen any of these people comment on bud density, dry weight, or post pics of flowering plants with these home made devices, but they're possible and I'm totally open minded to trying out something new. 

Even sears sells led growing lights online, that threw me off at first but it turns out they're trying to do a marketplace similar to amazon, but no one else comes close to how massive amazon's marketplace is. 

19. #19 JhiBabyy2Lit, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
    [quote name="DallasDrone" post="21026894" timestamp="1417852644"]Then there's COB style LED chips (including tons of things about spectrum I don't understand). There's generic LEDs on amazon and ebay alike, they're so inexpensive that even if they broke it's not that much money to "just see" what happens. There's even some people on GC that talk about building their own LED's I haven't seen any of these people comment on bud density, dry weight, or post pics of flowering plants with these home made devices, but they're possible and I'm totally open minded to trying out something new.

Even sears sells led growing lights online, that threw me off at first but it turns out they're trying to do a marketplace similar to amazon, but no one else comes close to how massive amazon's marketplace is. [/ quote]
    Interesting. I've been browsing eBay & Amazon also. I've seen the inexpensive LEDs, it doesn't seem like a big loss to try. But I'm still not a pro w/ all the necessary & unnecessary spectrums of light needed. But I guess there's nothing left to do but just try one.lol

Sent from my iPeezy
    So much blue cheeze I don't fuck with ranch no more

20. OK I have to give my 2 cents . I have tryed everything I am a diy guy. The only light i have not used yet is a plasma. Now with the leds you can go diy and make a great light much cheaper then buying one. I had a 1100 real watt LEd I built myself and it worked great for LED. Led will give you great veg growth and good quality buds. But HPS will out shine it at quantity watt for watt every time. But with say a 600 Real  watt LED you will make 1/3 the heat and get more useable light then a 600 w HPS  your electric cost will  lower because you will not need to run all the fans, coolers ect.. Now with the CFLs you will never get what you want out of the plants in flower. Plants love the 6500 k Cfls in veg and they will work great for that but when budding you just need to many of them to be cost effective
    So those ufos are ok for side light or extra lighting but you would be better off either getting a no less then 300 Real watt LED panel Then adding in small Watt ufos. If it were me I would just go to Ebay and buy a cheap 600w HPS/MH combo for the price of the  LED UFO and hold on tight LOL you will have buds the size of your fist LOL! Also if your looking for a good short stocky strain try romulan 2 of the 3 phenos are short squaty plants
    Happy Growing !!
    Sane