Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Daily tokers, are you addicted?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by wolfenwolf, May 12, 2011.

1. lol dude have you read my posts on this thread earlier? I posted a link and extract from a scientific journal that clearly purports, outlines and explains these molecules (cannabinoids) and addictive mechanisms, I appreciate a good debate and thanks for replying, but please come more equipped to debate your position with evidence rather than just opinion, I mean, obviously daily tokers are most likely going to say it aint addictive, nobody likes admitting to being an addict. if you have higher educational access to journals and things then I can pm you the link but otherwise, heres the abstract:

The endocannabinoid system is implicated in the regulation of a variety of physiological processes, among which conditioning, motivation, habit forming, memory, learning, and cognition play pivotal roles in drug reinforcement and reward. In this article we will give a synopsis of last developments in research on cannabinoid actions on brain reward circuits coming from behavioral, neurochemical and electrophysiological studies. Central cannabinoid-induced effects as measured by animal models of addiction, in vivo cerebral microdialysis, in vitro and in vivo electrophysiological recording techniques, will be reviewed. Brain sites that have been implicated in the mediation of addictive cannabinoid properties include primarily the ventral tegmental area, the nucleus accumbens, and the medial prefrontal cortex, although the amygdala, the substantia nigra, the globus pallidus, and the hippocampus have also been shown to be critical structures mediating motivational and reinforcing effects of cannabinoids. Putative neurobiological mechanisms underlying these effects will be delineated."

peace!

2. You didn't link to it. You just quoted it twice.

Addiction requires the presence of "severe trauma" or "distress" or a variant thereof upon removal of said subject. It's a fact -- look up addiction in any dictionary.

Find me a study that produces withdrawal symptoms in light or light-to-medium smokers. You can't. The only withdrawal symptoms are present in LONG-TERM, DAILY smokers who have smoked thousands of times over many years. You could then argue that ANYTHING, whether it has potentially addicting properties (keyword: potentially) or not, could produce such psychoactive effects after removal of years and years of exposure. We're talking mainly irritability and lower food intake. Obviously the lower food intake is a chemical effect but it's not a psychoactive symptom of withdrawal. You're left with mainly irritability/over-aggressiveness in subjects which, like I said, can be applied to substances that have been proven to lack addictive properties. Marijuana is not addictive. There is more than enough testimony that regular users are able to put the bong down and live their life just fine from day 1 of absence.

I smoke about two or three times a week. Usually 2 days a week.

3. #83 Freshfed, May 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I didn't link it because you need membership to the journal to read it, hence why I copied the abstract. Secondly this thread is talking about DAILY Smokers so is relevant. You want academic papers? Check google scholar: plenty to see I'm sure. Peace!

4. Id say im addicted. It doesn't control me in anyway but it's just nice to be high lol. I smoke a bowl in the morning and at night. Some days I smoke more than others. But I do notice a difference when I don't smoke for a few day. It isn't bad, but that doesn't mean I'm not addicted.

5. everyone is addicted to something, i for one am addicted to sex with my girlfriend and weed,
    so what

6. Nobody said anything about wanting academic papers. I just said you didn't link to it.

7. it was a response to ''Find me a study that produces withdrawal symptoms in light or light-to-medium smokers.''

As I explained, I can't link it because its membership only, does the abstract I posted not provide some proof for you? peace! :smoke:

8. I feel bad for all the people on here saying "OMG, i started blazing everyday and I developed really bad depression, anxiety, and was having dissociative symptoms."

When they are all self diagnosed.

Lol GTFO

9. Psychological addiction:'' addiction designates a process whereby a behavior, that can function both to produce pleasure and to provide escape from internal discomfort, is employed in a pattern characterized by (1) recurrent failure to control the behaviour (powerlessness) and (2) continuation of the behaviour despite significant negative consequences (unmanageability). ''

from; THE BRITISH JOURNAL OF ADDICTION.

Addiction: definition and implications - GOODMAN - 2006 - British Journal of Addiction - Wiley Online Library

10. This.

I smoke daily - always in the evening/night and maybe once in the day if I haven't got much going on. When I run out it obviously sucks, but I never feel that I need to have it.

11. but your thinking about it all the time right lol? :smoke:

12. Not a daily or even a weekly toker, so I'd say I'm not addicted in the slightest. However, I will agree it is very habit forming.

13. i have always smoked before school, high school and college and always before work, before bed, and esp when i have aches and pains. Helps me get through the day. I don't feel like i am addicted at all. Some days i will smoke .5 and sometimes just straight bake all day. Herb has never gotten in the way of stuff i have to do daily, the stuff i have to do daily gets in the way of my herb smoking :)

14. I've been smoking daily for a couple months now and I can honestly say I have had no side effects or problems from smoking... I noticed if u don't syke yourself out about smoking everyday, u most likely won't have any problems

15. After smoking kush err night for the past year at least I don't know if this counts as addicted but if i don't smoke I don't think i'd be able to fall asleep.

16. #96 Freshfed, May 12, 2011
    Would you be able to buy some top green and have it infront of you and not smoke it for 2-3 days? Peace!

17. #97 Freshfed, May 12, 2011
    It creeps up on you, problems with attention, memory mainly, I found my childhood memories are pretty shady these days... Everyone is different I guess but watch out just incase bro, peace!

18. Nope, not at all.

19. I disagree sort of with people saying you cant be addicted. But the addiction you see is not from the "weed" but from that person feeling the dependancy to it. I have been smoking daily for the past couple weeks and if I were to stop by the time it hit noon I would probably have a head ache and be kinda grumpy :p

20. It's a different type of addiction, nothing harmful or as serious as an actual drug addiction to like crack, meth, etc. and even caffeine. But it's an addiction for me in that I just want to do it, mainly when I'm bored and don't really have anything else to do and just want to chill out. But technically I don't see it as an addiction for me and I feel like I can get off it easily if I wanted to.

Example, while I'm in college in my dorm I'm always wanting to smoke and sometimes I do feel like I'm getting too addicted for my own good, but then like when I'm occupied with work or I'm back home I don't feel the need as much. It differs for different people though, but it's definitely not that harmful type of addiction in a dependency type way, but more comparable to how you might be 'addicted' to masturbating or something lol.

EDIT: and yeah like sebo just said, it's not like an addiction the substance itself, but more like you being addicted to the effects of it and not being able to tolerate being in your regular state. so once you start not enjoying being sober (not happy with your life or trying to escape from problems, etc.) then it cud start to be come a problem, not addiction wise but at least negatively affecting your social life