D

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by hceg93, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Hello guys, I was thinking about starting my own grow today. well, not actually today but you know what I mean. I have had a few seeds for quite some time now. I am tired of spending money out of my pay checks. I happen to know the process just haven't actually tried it. The only thing I am stuck on is lightening. I'm not sure on what lights to buy. I was looking into LED, HID and T5. I happen to go to a thrift store and I actually saw a T5 there. A small little one about two 10 inch bulbs. It says 'use 6 watt/T5 Bulb. 120/60hz.' so does this mean 12 watts its gives off? which I assume is useless? I don't think it'll do much but it was 5$. I haven't started any process yet quite because I'm not sure about light and the certain types of bulbs. I was wondering if anyone would be as kind to put me on the right path. I am only looking to grow one plant in my room. I'm just fascinated by the way it grows from a seed. So I decided to do a little project.
    Edit: what kind of pot and soil should I use? and when should I give it any "food" if needed.

I have grown one by just throwing one in my back yard but my dog ate the leaves off the bitch and destroyed it. so I cut it early, was some bunk shit but it was pretty cool. But I'm looking for something a bit more serious this time where I can take my time & do it right. Maybe to hope to get some pretty flowers. Nothing too expensive but I am willing to spend some.

2. Since you haven't had a reply I'll give you my 10 cents. Imma give you a quick summary of growing, but I highly recommend you read marijuana horticulture by Jorge Cervantes. That book taught me a ton.

Lighting: more the better except for seedlings. I use two T12's for my seedlings until beginning of veg. After that, it recommended you get a HID (high intensity discharge) light such as a HPS (high pressure sodium). MH (metal halide) is good for veg, but not for flowering. As far as LED, you have to get a good one for results. Get the best lights you can. Put them close to the plant, but you don't want to burn them. It'll depend on which light you choose to determine distance.

Ventilation: this is key, especially if you have HID lights. It helps control temperature and humidity. So don't forget about it. It also helps circulate new CO2, so very important.

Nutrients: no need for nutrients until the plant is at least a few weeks old. Over using nutrients is the most common problem I've seen. So read up on nutes and use sparingly.

Water: water is obviously vital, but most newbies over water. Make sure your pot is bone dry before watering. This forces the roots to look for the water.

This is a very small portion of what you will need to learn. It's easy to grow marijuana... It's hard to grow it well.

I recommend reading the book I recommended, then coming back with any questions you may have. The people on here are great, but they appreciate you putting forth some effort to learn on your own instead of asking questions about everything.

Happy growing! If you decide to start, begin a grow journal and I'll follow along :)

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  3. ^ I always forget to quote

4. I also highly recommend going through the "sick plants" area. This will help you become familiar with other people's mistakes. Learn from their mistakes so you don't have to sacrifice time and money by making your own.

• Like Like x 1
  5. awesome thanks for the info will definitely use it all to the best of my knowledge

6. appreciate it

7. Lol any time bro. Growing is an amazing thing to learn. Happy to help any way I can

8. When I get
    Home today I am
    Gonna draw out blue prints for the grow box with size & demensioms before spending any money. Would I be able to build a nice tall box out of wood,install a small door and line it in tin foil for reflection ? I will update this later when I get home from work. As for now any info on the led light above would be greatly appreciated.

9. From what I've read, quality on LED varies widely, and this difference matters. Where as any HID works similar to another. You have to make sure your plant gets enough of each color spectrum. Look up reviews on YouTube.

I built my room out of wood. Just have to ensure there's plenty of what I mentioned above. As for tin foil, don't. It creates hot spots and really isn't that effective for reflecting light. Paint the room flat white :) if you seen a material that looks like tin foil, it's probably Mylar. But that stuff is expensive and designed to reflect light. I'd recommend getting a good HPS 600W. They're the most efficient and proven. With 1000W, you have to move it back from the plant because of heat, therefor losing efficiency. Keep us posted :)

10. whats up guys instead of deciding to spend money on wood to construct a full box I got tired of looking at my empty dresser and I turned it into this.
    i think this should be sufficient enough to grow one plant. The top shelf is able to be removed with ease.
    I am planning to paint the inside white. I read flat interior white is best.
    before making anymore moves would this paint suitable ?

11. update: grow dresser now has its first successful flat white paint coat. Once it dries its going to get a second coat.

12. Yup, I used flat white for my veg room. I happened to have some Mylar so I am going to use that for my flowering room.

Post some pics and I can try to help with advice on setup :) if you're only going to do 1 plant, I'd recommend getting a CFL (compact fluorescent light) for when they're young. Get maybe a 200w or 300w HPS for when it gets more than 6 in or so. You could also try out that led. I've just read that the cheaper ones are sketch. HPS has been proven much more consistently. Post on Craigslist and trade for a good one. That's why I did. No money out and 4K worth of grow gear lol

13. I am going to try out the LED. I am concerned about electricity and heat. My room is always hot. So I think led would be the bet way.
    I did some research and mars hydro is a professional light company making quality cheap lights. I've read lots of reviews that they take care of their customers and take care of any problems. 2 year warranty to. need to make it light proof now. that light is only a mini t5 12 watt bulb. not using that at all.

14. I'm interested in how it works :) keep us updated. I have grow dog phytomax LEDs. So we can compare. Led definitely runs cooler. Ventilation is key, so buy a fan for 11 bucks. Too cheap to ignore

15. Definitely will keep it updated !
    Friday I should be ordering my light.
    I got about 4 bag seeds to start out with. Chemdawg strain.

I'm the mean time I'm going to do much more research about cultivation and fill my brain with as much info as I can before starting the actual grow. Usually I like to be impatient on things and jump the gun but for some reason for this im taking my time and doing it right. Even though I'm so FUCKING excited I wanna jump out my skin and start now.

16. Hahaha been there bro. Read on up. I already recommended my book of choice.

I just got seeds from marijuana seeds NL. They arrived in a couple weeks. I haven't germinated yet, so I'll post on my grow page when I do. You can check out my setup :)

Best of luck!