D-r-e-a-d-s

Discussion in 'General' started by spivey's, May 10, 2008.

1. Who here has dreads? Ive been wanting to get dreads for the loooooongest and I think i'm gonna go for it now that I am not around certain family members that never change their minds about anything and think to make real dreads you have to put feces in them....:rolleyes:
    How much strain do you think dreads put on your scalp? I imagine to be a looot of pulling going on

2. Yah when you're getting them done it hurts teh scalp but its not that bad.

3. dreads on white people look nasty, black people can pull it off but white people look nappy with them.

4. Definitely hurts the scalp alot more combing them out, than putting them in, though.

So make sure you know you want them.

5. See I just thought about this morning. I think dreads on people in general is a hit or miss. With black people we have naturally kinky hair so dreads work better but if not kept up it looks nappy and gross. I think white people who keep it up and twist it right looks good with dreads but some don't because it's all loose and sloppy.

I've debated getting them myself but I don't like the idea of when I'm sick of them I have to cut all my hair off.

6. you need to get urs again:hello:

7. its not the mainence, its the style of hair, black people have bushy almost pubic hair on there head, it is really wavy and easily rolled together. White people hair is not made for the process it takes to make dreads, and requires you to do disgusting things to get them to the way of what it takes that blackpeople hair is much easier to work with.

8. I know I know :(

9. yeah taking them out is more painful.

10. Well no prize why that is ;) Thats why I just cut mine off at the roots. Not always an option tho, I guess.

11. i had two dreads till last november .i used to use them to pick my hair up but my scalp started paining there so i cut them (off the roots).but dreads are so cool..do it!

12. i wouldnt get dreads from a salon. all that wax and shit makes them look too uniform and manufactured. Im trying to get some light natural dreads going. theres this one guy with you tube videos showing his progression of natural dreads over like 8 months or something and his are turning out nice. just keep them clean and dont comb them in long enough time they should just start occuring... thats my goal atleast ;)

13. Salon dreads only look 'manufactured' the first week or two. Wax is pretty essential for the method to help the hair bind and stay in the dread for the first while.

14. when you say the first while do you not have to keep putting wax in after a few months or something? my understanding was you had to weekly.

15. AFAIK (can only speak from personal experience) no. Without the wax the backcombing makes each dread massive and frizzy. I understood that the wax was essential to keep the hair together (to stop the dreads untangling) until they start binding together naturally. Personally I never applied more wax apart from a small amount the first few weeks after on unruley locks.

16. dreads are fuckin sexy :love:

17. good to know. any pics of your dreads on GC?

18. my friend (who did my threads )put wax only for the 1st week.. after i cut them i kept them as a memory and maybe i'll do them again sometime... threads are indeed so sexy..

19. I'm starting to think thats the general consensus of dreads. Got dreads, blam, a bunch of chicks start digging me, lose dreads.. cricket noises and tumble weed..

/e:

Got a couple on my photobcuket..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lookin' kinda raggedy in that 2nd photo, was maybe a few months in, I found the tips kinda hard to keep from unbinding. I think if I ever dread again I'll take the advice I read on 'destroying' your hair with bleach/dye to help with the knotting process (the drier your hair the better seemingly)