cuttings from a plant well into flowering/budding

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by exponent, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Yo!

I got this plant that is now a one-of-a-kind in our little collection (due to past clones from cuttings not surviving)... however it's showing very nice characteristics and I'd like to take one last ditch effort to keep it around.

So, it's currently way past vegetative state... about 3 or 4 weeks or so into flowering - covered in trichomy thickening bud-sites all over... any suggestions/help/advice as to how best to choose any cuttings to take from it, and how best to get those cuttings back into veg so they can hopefully prosper again? ( Really I just need one cutting to survive, which we can make into a mother plant in order to produce more of this particular specimen. )

Much appreciated!

2. throw them in 24/0 for a couple weeks, they'll reveg... i did the exact same thing this year with a nice phen of OG lemon kush i wanted to keep.. it's doing great just under 4x23w 4300 cfl's.. been there for about a month and has fully went back to veg.. also i took these probably 8 weeks into flower, from an outdoor plant..

3. It will take a bit of time but yes 24/0 even 18:6 I actually just did but it does take a little to pop back into veg and grow at normal pase.

4. Cool - thanks for the help! I'll be doing the cuttings today, hope it works! (c8=

5. be prepared for the new growth looking shitty, but it should grow out of that

6. ... yeah it's looking pretty shitty right now... two days later.

Took two cuttings from the lowest of the branches, but even they had pretty serious buds going; and the stems on both were pretty stiff and skinny - not good for cuttings.

I made a fairly angular/diagonal cut down the stems with a razor blade, then dipped the tips in water and some powdered rooting hormone; then stuck them in very small pots in a mixture of perlite, peat moss, and a bit of soil. Finally, set them under some 200W T5's, on a 20 hour light cycle.

Don't think they're gonna make it - I get the impression they're just going to shrivel up and die within a few more days. My cutting-fu could use some work.

):

7. Maybe take more cuttings than you plan on keeping because there will probably be a few that wont make it because of the stress off trying to root and re-veg. And be prepared to see the weirdest thing you've watched a plant do because re-veg is really weird to watch lol. It does work though.

8. #8 cannabis lover, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
    Don't give up on them! I cut some clones from a 4+ week flowering plant and they are rooted and putting up new leaves. They are some tough plants - give them some time to adjust to the new light cycle and life-process. Just baby them with enough light, moisture, and humidity. It may take a week or so, and they may appear to wilt but that's normal.

As long as there is green, there'll be roots to be seen :D

9. heh yeah they do look crazy when they revegg, the first new growth like protrudes out of the buds..you'll just have to see it..

10. hahah - cool! Thanks for the moral support guys - I'll definitely let it ride, keep tending them, and hope for the best... looking forward to witnessing the zany-looking re-veg state! (c8=

Beers!

11. Wai til you're done. Harest like 85% and just let it grow in 24/0 after. I left a few branches on two that I had a similar ordeal like you. One started strong veg in a week, te other took two weeks.

12. you put them under such strong light without a humidity dome? wont they dry out real quick?

13. Haha, I actually just took a clipping from a flowering plant and reported it like 35 mins ago! Glad I found this thread. Anybody else heard that it'll just basically turn into a bush?? Hoping it will that way I can get 10-12 clones from it in about 2 months or so

14. #14 baumeister, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
    havent heard of that, but you can definitly do that by topping and LST
    besides, you can cut multiple clones from a single branch, it doesnt need to be the outermost tip of fresh growth. so it doesnt really matter if the plant is bushy or tall.

15. The light is about 3 ft. or above them - but I think you're right, I probably ought to put them under a humidity dome.

16. Note that this plant is currently rooted outside - so I won't be able to flip it to 24/0 light cycle - but I was actually considering the same basic idea:

Cut only a partial harvest off it, keep it in the ground, and just hope it makes it through the winter... (?)

By the way - this plant is from our first seeds purchased & grown, and it turned out to be a lone renegade amongst the seeds we got - we ordered some afghans... but this one plant is of a very different strain. The others are all short and bushy with pistils that remain white'ish with no interesting coloring - but this one was tall and hearty with all kinds of purple, and denser buds. ( related thread from way back: http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-marijuana-growing/967933-help-identify-strain.html )

17. Well you can easily dig it up and move it in. When I re-vegged I did it because my soil was hot and the grow didn't do well but I wanted to keep the plant and hadn't cut a clone. I took the root ball out of the pot and chopped it nearly in half and then repotted it in new soil. It loved it! I'd think you can do the same thing moving inside, might want to hit it with some kind of neem or other pest spray/soak though, you'll likely bring some uninvited guests in if you cut it, replant it or clone it at this point.

18. yeah thats kinda obligatory for any cutting >_>