cutting hole for closet ventilation

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by straightrippin, Feb 13, 2012.

1. can u just cut a hole in the side and let the smell go inbetween the walls? would that reek ur house up?

2. Yes it would likely make the rest of your house smell. Is your reason for wanting to cut the hole primarily odor control? Or is heat an issue as well? In either event just cutting a hole isn't going to be very effective.

3. im not too sure my closet has a about half an inch space from the bottom and top. and im only guna have 4 girls in there with 2 fans, 1 small and 1 circulating fan with a 600w ballast. like accross from my closet i got a pretty big window thats open

4. #4 Doc-J, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
    Without any type of carbon filter or odor control it is entirely possible that everyone within a 100 yard radius of your house could smell your plants, even if its "only" four.

Im not saying that to sound dramatic either, a stinky grow smells stronger than any pot smell you've ever encountered.

5. ^but im upstairs, wouldnt the smell just go out the window and just desepate in the air

6. honestly you can make a home made carbon scrubber and put a fan under the whole into the filter... you need security cause of your neighbors and things like that... you never know who is around so keep always learning.

7. [quote name='"straightrippin"']^but im upstairs, wouldnt the smell just go out the window and just desepate in the air[/quote]

I wouldnt count on it. Most likely the ac in your house draws air back down stairs. I cant explain it, the smell can permeate everything if not planned for properly. If you have negative pressure in the grow and vent directly out, it is possible. It would be best not to have neighbors close by if that is your plan.

8. so getting a carbon filter will get rid of the smell just by installing that little square fan inside my closet?

9. Depends, but there are a variety of solutions for odor control. If your growing that should be one of your primary concerns. Other then flapping your gums about it another easy way to get caught is not considering the odor.

You can get a carbon filter attached to a inline fan the fan sucks the air into the filter then that air is exited out to wherever.

If you can't do that you can go to Walmart Home Depot etc and pick up a HEPA air filter. Those don't scrub the odor across carbon but push the air through a filter. They trap anything that goes through it but they require the filter to be changed ever 2-3 months.

You can also make a carbon filter yourself. There are DIY guides online for that.

Cannabis doesn't always smell sometimes its horrendous. Right now I have a Paradise Wappa that gives off no odor she's close to being done. Only smells if I touch her and smell my hands. Got 2 Afghan Kush's about 3 weeks from being done and those things reek.

You also have to consider what your going to do when you dry. Cannabis smells way worse drying in my opinion. Why I have a tent for it :)

10. yea i just cant really make that big of a hole and have a nice silver tube comming out the side.. i might just grow it without the carbon filter cuz im guna only grow 3 at a time. and i figure like 1 oz a plant not really using big pots. i dont think a quarter pound would stink up my block or even reach my neighbors house

11. k i just read that growing reeks way harder... need to find out how to ventilate without making huge holes