Cutting fan leaves

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by tk86high, Mar 19, 2013.

1. I was wondering when u guys think its a good time to cut off fan leaves as my OG kush is getting to be a overtaker in my tent and the fan leaves r way too big and too many .

Please no comments about "don't cut the leaves" as this isn't my first grow and I have cut leaves off on my previous plants with no side effects . Just would like to hear from some of u other growers and" when do others start to trim their bush" lol .

2. Ive never grown OG but I have had plenty of runs where I simply start pulling some fan leaves off during early to even mid flower when I notice them blocking buds that need light. Ive gone as far as 5 weeks into flower where I pull leaves...just not alot of them. Works for me.

3. i pull leaves off whenever i want........veg-flower it doesnt matter

4. #4 Rumpleforeskin, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2013
    Best time to take the fan leaves is on harvest day.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYq7CuVpAeo[/ame]

5. so the lesson is: dont make your plants retarded!

6. I'll agree with the don't take fan leaves off the areas where there is buds growing .

But all them other big ass fan leafs that r nowhere close to the buds and gets no light anyhow can't see why it would matter to cut them .

If I had an outdoor garden the size of a parking lot like that dude id also say don't cut the leafs lol.

My main issue is not to get more light to the bud but to stop this monster of a plant from getting even bigger with fan leaves lol.

7. Lmfao I found that video only Suitable for outdoor growers with lots of space and tons of big ass buds anyhow lol

8. No disrespect to anyone but IMHO it doesnt matter what anyone says...experience is the best teacher. Do it and see how you like it :confused_2:.

I have a very small 2x2 tent that I grow in and space is ALWAYS an issue. I pull my leaves and chuck em in my worm bin...win, win for me.

I also have outdoor girls going in my greenhouse and I pull alot of the inner leaves off them just to get more air flowing up in the plants....Im still learning alot but so far so good there also.

9. I'm with u on that as mine is 2.5X2.5 . And with 4 plants its like a jungle in there. Hey I always say as long as the buds r growing good I don't care about the leafs as I'm not smoking them lol.

10. I'm new here, and would like to offer my opinion...

I say it's ok to prune the fan leaves up until 2 weeks before harvest, as I don't like to take any energy away from the plants bud production, and pruning will cause the plant to extend some energy to healing an open wound. However, doing so is minimal and shouldn't noticeably stunt the plants growth. You may want to consider bending the larger leaves, or just trimming them down a bit without actually cutting or snapping them off, this is a less abrasive solution. A happy plant will produces kind bud.

Good luck man,

K.A

11. I agree, if you don't want your buds to get bigger, pull your fan leaves.

12. I don't know, I trim away the bigger leaves sometimes when I veg for longer than normal. It does put more stress on the plant but it allows more sunlight into the lower canopy of the plant. I have never stunted a plant removing leaves, I always fertilize after trimming.

13. I must disagree with u
    Like I said in my first post I've taken off fan leaves before and had no side effects kola buds were the size of a coke cans so I don't know how much bigger u think buds should get but I was very happy with my 100+ grams a plant I got with fan leaves cut lol .

14. #14 Rumpleforeskin, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2013
    I grow in a small grow space as well. The bottom leaves will fall off as the plant uses them up. Keeping them on (like Jorge said) speeds up growth. The fan leaves help gather light and are part of the whole. As the plant matures and the bud swells, the fan leaves will get used up and fall away. Clipping them early will rob it of nutrients and light gathering surface.

The leaves are not part of a different plant or a parasite that robs resources. It grows them for a reason. I also find that if you starve your plant of light it will grow more fan leaves (see my LED challenge).

I grow in a very tight space. You can see from the pictures that early on you will have lots of fan leaves, but towards harvest only the vital ones are left.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I grow a single plant, it gets more light and produces less fan leaves. It will make more leaves when it needs to gather more light. Taking them away will rob it of what it is asking for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You will get bigger bud faster leaving the fan leaves on. Don't be satisfied with 100 grams if you can make twice that.
    [​IMG]

15. Good post , and honestly I wasn't planning on taking off any leafs until they started looking like they need to be taken off . Just wanted to get other people's take on it. But I am thinking to just play around and get my own idea of the difference by trimming 1 and not the other.
    PS love the pics of u with the cartoon face haha awesome .

16. If these pics don't prove experience i dont know what would lol

17. I agree wich is exactly why I started that statement with "No disrespect to anyone...". I know about Rump's grows. In fact Rump you are one of the growers who helped to me to research the use of LEDs a while back (thanks for that by the way). My statement was never a challenge to anyone's level of knowledge but rather to tell the OP that sometimes one's own experience can be the absolute best teacher. If the OP takes some leaves (not all ofcourse or even alot) and still ends up happy with his yeild then he's done the work to figure out whats right for him...right?

18. True that .

But hey since I seen Rump pack all that into this small area I feel a bit better about my grow space I'm just gonna train them upwards on the grow space sides and leave the leafs unless they look like they need to be taken off.

I do want to make a grow where I have the same 2 strains and exact conditions with 1 trimmed and 1 not just to see what happens yield wise and to do like the said above experience is the best teacher .

Let me just say if I get less then or equal to the last grow amount I'm trimming regardless after that lol

19. fan leaves have photo systems 2 and 1 in them which produce atp and nadph which is energy for the plant. fan leaves are also where the calvin cycle takes place, which uses atp and nadph along with 6 co2 to produce glucose, or energy for the plant.

sure, the buds and stems can undergo photosynthesis as well (anything that looks green), but not to the extent that a fan leaf can.

20. My friend just yesterday told me that in high times, some profesional grower said, cut all blocking fan leaves at 4th flowering week it will grow your yield 30%, and he also said that you would not believe it yourself that you have to trim it almost naked, but it will affect just in some strains, but i kwow that og kush, and all near to og kush works, cause I have kandy kush in my tent, 4th-5th flowering, and done that, works perfectly, you will see the differens at 2-5days, i bet you