Customizing my lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Mycenaean, Sep 21, 2012.

1. #1 Mycenaean, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
    Starting a grow that will be about 5ft high x 3 ft wide x 2ft deep (available space). I want to go with HPS lighting, because I am confident that I can provide enough ventilation. I have read that people often use HPS (flowering) in combination with MH (vegging), I was wondering if there is a cheap, cooler replacement that I can use in addition to my 400 watt HPS?

I am looking at this light:
    HTG Supply - HTGSupply 400 watt High Pressure Sodium Grow Light

I was going to get one of the reflectors geared towards cooling.

I'd also like to ask if there are any steps I should take towards protection, IE surge protectors. I will be growing in a wardrobe-like cabinet with elastomere painted walls.

Any answers would be a ton of help, thanks! I'm going to keep reading!

E: Update: I'm looking at Lumatek and Quantum Ballasts. I'm still wondering what hood/reflector I should get for this size space.

2. this is way to small, consider a shelf put budding on the top and vegging underneath, even then use cfl's or led, heat will always be a issue not to mention that smell?

"V"

3. Definitely a possibility, especially for the flowering stage. I plan on having two 4in intakes and a 6in output through the top with a carbon filter (or two) and dry sheets through a 4inch coil which will be aimed out my window with another carbon sheet for safety. I was told that would cover up the smell well enough.

Would a 6inch fan and two computer fans provide enough circulation to keep heat down? I'll look into CFLs as an option further, but LEDs are out of the question due to pricing.