Custom Growbox Fan Questions?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MrBudget, Jan 8, 2015.

1. #1 MrBudget, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2015
    I built a custom growbox, and I have a few questions about ventilation. .. (I'll be using 2 x 1.5 inch pc fans for this)

1. Which fan should be on top? (Intake or exhaust)

2. Should they be next to eachother?

3. How close to the plant should they be?

4. I'm looking for a method of powering them besides batteries, on a 24/7 cycle, with minimal fire risk.. any ideas?

5. How do I test the air circulation?

Thank you fir your time! :)

2. #2 Thicken Dense, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2015
    I found a 4" axial fan in a broken space heater, runs on 120v direct and moves a lot more air than my pc fans. Haven't applied it to a build yet but it's a lot better than dicking around with wall chargers or power supplies. Salvage whatever you can, I'm always on the lookout for shit I can take apart and use.

Keep your exhaust away from your intakes, so it's not recycling the hot air. All fans should be on exhaust, all intakes should be passive (no fan)

The exact placement shouldn't matter but most people put their exhaust at the top and intakes at the bottom. The reason I say it shouldn't matter.... if heat rises in your growspace then you should have more circulation.

You test it by firing everything up and letting it run for a couple of hours, watching your temps. If your temps are too high then you either need more exhaust or less light, more exhaust is preferable.

3. Huh, thats a good idea, yeah I never thought about leaving the intake passive before... I guess it makes sence though, a sealed box would kindof act as a vacume. :)