Custom Gaming Laptop, help?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by ChronicCloud420, Aug 16, 2012.

1. So i've been reading about gaming laptops, and my main concern is to be able to have a fast pc, and to run Guild Wars 2 on High/Ultra settings smoothly. I've customized a laptop on Sager with these specs (Not sure if it's even a good set up because I'm so new to custom pcs) If there is any better laptop you could recommend that is equally good or better at this price $1580.00 please post :eek:
    Display \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t15.6" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Matte Finished Surface (1920 x 1080)
    Video & Graphics Card \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tNvidia GeForce GTX 670M GPU with 1.5GB GDDR5 Video MemoryCPU Processor \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.30GHz)Thermal Compound \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tIC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
    Operating System \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tGenuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded )Memory \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 4 X 4GBPrimary Hard Disk Drive \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t500GB 7200rpm SATA Hybrid Hard Drive with 4GB SSD

2. MSI makes some killer laptops....

As does Asus.....

The system you posted is killer. If you can afford it and you are good with shelling out the money then go for it. Just realize, it would be much cheaper and easier to upgrade in future to get desktop.

Also probably longer lasting. No built in keyboard, can get new screens, and can change out any part in a couple minutes or seconds...

Im not sure what your situation is though... Im assuming you want to game while traveling?

3. Yeah I'm aware of Asus.. Especially the G73-75 series. I just want a laptop so when I go and hang with my cousins we can play and raid together (Currently on WoW). Would you recommend any MSI or Asus that could beat this system for around the same price?

4. Alienware is a big no no in custom computers imo. Overpriced and from what i've read, very unreliable. Even if I were to buy from Alienware, I'd much prefer to buy from OriginPC which is essentially Alienware but a tad cheaper.

5. #6 Jumbo, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2012
    anything MSI makes is pretty beastly....

MSI Notebook Official Website

check em out.

If you have 1900 to kill id go to GT60 0NE-220US
    . So fucking sexy, i wish i had the money for something like that. these are gaming desktop replacements in a laptop form, damn the 21st century is dope lol.

I agree on not going with Alienware. One of the biggest rip off evers. their laptops arent the worst, but you can do better. their desktops are laughable though. lol

6. Eeek. They look nice but I can't drop that kind of cash unfortunately :(
    My max is like 1600-1650

7. check out the cheaper ones, they got ones starting like 1200.

Also Acer makes some decent gaming laptops too.

this one is about the same specs as what you posted, and listed for 1300:

http://www.msimobile.com/level3_productpage.aspx?cid=6&id=360

8. Sager, bought mine for around 1500 last year, has a 6990M amd card and a quad core i7 2630qm, 8 gigs of ram. looks pretty sick too, subtle gaming laptop. check em out, its a company that only makes gaming laptops so they make a good rig.

9. Look at brands like MSI, ASUS. they're both brands that use nVidia chips/sometimes radeon, be aware that you are going to want to buy a cooling pad for your laptop, during intense gaming, your computer will get extremely hot, desktops have a better time diffusing the heat (bigger heatsink) but like some other people in here have said don't for for alienware, they're the most over priced computers on the market - for flashy lights haha.

10. Yeah I'm buying off them lol. Have you had any problems with the laptop so far?

11. Are nVidia chips better than radeon? (Sorry for all the hardware questions I'm a noob when it comes to this sort of thing.)

12. #13 Stoniecat, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2012
    I can attest to the Asus laptops. I have a 72gx and it blows wow out of the water. Also I can run crisis on ultra. Im not sure about gw2 specs but I'm sure any of them 73+ would work well. I would definitely check them out.

Also as to needing a separate cooler for the lap top. I haven't had any issues. The Asus cooling system is really good. make sure you always read reviews and stuff before you buy. Cause all laptops have issues.

13. Yeah but the thing with WoW is that just about anything can blow it out of the water lol. My cousin spent 350 on a custom desktop and his specs are just as good as my cousin's 900$ Alienware Laptop :p I'm starting to think about saving up an extra 300 and buying myself an MSI. They look pretty sweet! Thanks for the help blades :D