Currently have 600W HPS - replace, or add to it?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by pinksocks, Jul 25, 2019.

1. #1 pinksocks, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Seeking advice here. I currently have 600W HPS and an old reflector. I am trying to figure out if it would be better to add a particular LED board to the setup, or replace the HPS with a better/bigger overall complete LED setup.

I have a 4x4 that I can easily reframe to 3x3. 4 autos. I have no problem managing humidity, temps, ph, etc. Stricly worried about lighting here.

I have been eyeballing this board:
    QB288 V2 Rspec & Slate 2 Single Combo

If you recommend adding to my current HPS, would that board do well? If not, what would be a good single-board addition?

If you recommend replacing the HPS, would two of those do well? If not, what would be a good replacement around the same $$ range?

Trying to be budget-conscious here because I am very new to this hobby and have a bad habit of going overboard on stuff then moving on to something else, lol. I am reading everything I can, and this has been a little overwhelming. There is so much information to sift through, and a lot of it is conflicting.

@Tbone Shuffle , you do not know me, but you seem like a resident expert on this stuff. Would love to hear your thoughts! :)

EDIT:

I have also seen this one mentioned in threads:

Hlg Driver 301b V2 Epistar / Osrams Oslon Ssl Deep Red 3030 Smd Qb288 Lm301b Mix 660nm Quantum Board Plant Grow Light - Buy Lm301b 660nm Quantum Board,Osrams 660nm Quantum Board,Oslon 660nm Lm301b Led Product on Alibaba.com

Would that replace the HPS system, OR be a good addition to it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Knowing what I know now, I would get rid of that HID, and buy a QB LED setup. That's a pretty good price for the board and heatsink.

Maybe consider the HID for another tent later on or sell it.

@Tbone Shuffle knows his shit, but I think 2 of those should replace that HID. I just don't know the power handling of those boards, but I think it would do just fine with 2 of them. He might know best driver....probably could go with a single driver to run both boards.

-Better spectrum for vegging, and overall

-Better heat control

-Dimmable, with more precise control than dimmable HID ballasts which usually only have 2 or 3 options

-Last 'forever' compared to HID lighting that need bulbs replaced every so often

-better spread with two light points instead of one

-no more cool tubes and ducting

-they don't need a cool down period between strikes and have good circuit overload protections

- can run drivers outside the tent to reduce heat issues if need be

-probably more my stoned ass can't think of right now.

They make growing mush easier by keeping your plants in a sweet spot as far as radiant heat, ambient heat and light spectrum. Best investment I ever made.

Best of luck with your decision.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  3. thanks so much for the replies so far. i am sure this has been rehashed a million times already, but it's easier to deal with in my own little thread :)

so this link would be a good replacement for the 600W HPS? and it seems to come with everything i would need. is there anything else I should get?

Hlg Driver 301b V2 Epistar / Osrams Oslon Ssl Deep Red 3030 Smd Qb288 Lm301b Mix 660nm Quantum Board Plant Grow Light - Buy Lm301b 660nm Quantum Board,Osrams 660nm Quantum Board,Oslon 660nm Lm301b Led Product on Alibaba.com

4. also, dude, @PhenoMorph those lights look awesome. i am reluctant to jump into the deep end as a first-timer. maybe for round 2 if its something i feel like i will stick to! :p

• Like Like x 1
  5. ALSO!

that link i posted above (Hlg Driver 301b V2 Epistar / Osrams Oslon Ssl Deep Red 3030 Smd Qb288 Lm301b Mix 660nm Quantum Board Plant Grow Light - Buy Lm301b 660nm Quantum Board,Osrams 660nm Quantum Board,Oslon 660nm Lm301b Led Product on Alibaba.com) has 6 different version listed:

3000K+660nm Osrams Oslon SSL80
    3500K+660nm Osrams Oslon SSL80
    4000K+660nm Osrams Oslon SSL80
    3000K+660nm Epistar LED
    3500K+660nm Epistar LED
    4000K+660nm Epistar LED

i am leaning this way if it will for sure be a suitable replacement for 600W HPS (sorry im kindof a baby, want to be absolutely sure here, and these are new grounds for me lol). which of the above six would be best suited for seed-to-harvest autoflowers?

6. As you say you are new to the hobby, I would run through a cycle with what you have on hand before investing in any upgrades. If you find you have the patience and stick with it, then plunk down some cash and move ahead.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ALSO NUMBER 3:

do please forgive me making double-sure i am onto the right stuff here. my better half, The Home and Budget Supreme Commander, is generous in allowing me to pursue my hobbies, but it is better for my own sanity to make any necessary purchases at the same time, rather than going back 2 weeks later and re-doing something. lol.

8. that's why my target range right now is "roughly" 200 bucks. now and then i grow hot peppers indoors when i need a fix, and for lights that could conceivably be used for more than one purpose. just want to make the most of it :) thanks again everyone! keep the thoughts coming!

9. Started a batch of Red Ghost Peppers from seed under my 50w UFO back before the first of the year and have now hit paydirt. Thirteen in containers are dwarfed by a pair I committed to ground with partial Sun in the middle of April.
    IMG_20190716_172717.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. my man! glad to see some pepperheads around here. damn things were my first hook, line, sinker into gardening! lol

11. Yeah they are not cheap lol! Not saying jump into these panels like I have, but boy do they smoke.

Those others you linked would do very well in a 3x3 or 4x4 should you do decide to upgrade.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks so much, everyone. Pretty much have my mind made up on this one:

@PhenoMorph any thoughts on the list of different versions of this? Not looking to switch lights or anything - looking for the best single one to go start to finish. If it goes alright I could see adding another later in the year for round 2.

Here's the list of offerings:

3000K+660nm Osrams Oslon SSL80
    3500K+660nm Osrams Oslon SSL80
    4000K+660nm Osrams Oslon SSL80
    3000K+660nm Epistar LED
    3500K+660nm Epistar LED
    4000K+660nm Epistar LED

this is an area that i am clueless about, lol.

13. Mine was Meyer Lemons the wife brought to life from seed; working them for going on five years and first miniscule quartet of lemons on one of the four.
    IMG_20190607_081120.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. good grief. i have always wanted to do some lemon/lime or something, but it owuld be damn near impossible where i live haha.

15. I am unfamiliar with Osrams Olson far reds, but I do run 3000K V2 panels (LM301B Samsung diodes) with Epistar far red diodes and my plants love them.

While definitely towards the flowering end of the spectrum, they still veg my plants very well.

3500K also work very well as a general purpose, balanced grow light, that can run the whole show. My HLG100's are 3500K and my vegging mom's love them. It's like a damn rainforest in the mom tent.

I would stay away from the 4K and up if you want a single light to run for the entire grow and use thru flowering.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. You would be surprised

17. I have to make a correction but it doesn't change much I don't think. Apparently this whole time I've been under the impression my HLG100's were 3500K. They're actually 3000K. Just looked while I was up there.

So I run pretty much flowering spectrums in my two big tents, but still happy.

• Like Like x 1
  18. damn that is awesome. life goals, ha!!! though i may end up living alone with all my plants if i tried to pull something like that off!! xD

19. One could do worse.

• Agree Agree x 1