Current Best Starting 5 in the NBA (theoretically)

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by Passthekush, May 10, 2011.

1. CP3, DWade, LBJ, Love, D12

That's right, upset pick, Love over Dirk, Z-Bo and Blake.

2. K. Love gettin some love

3. Having the best two rebounders in the game helps with a forward and two guards who love to shoot the ball.

4. I agree. With a stacked lineup, you need a point guard that will run the offense smoothely. Then you wont have a team that takes turns isolating.

5. Well the original post said NOT to consider chemistry issues, just pick the best players at the position. I think CP3 is a better player than Rose. Kevin Love is an interesting pick, on a team you'd love to have him because he's a great 3 point shooter, can rebound the hell out of the ball, can make long/accurate outlet passes and is just a great teammate but Dirk is a better player.

6. this is easy (notice: i know that durant and lebron are both small forwards, but either of them can play the 2,3,or 4)

derrick rose
    dwayne wade
    lebron james
    kevin durant
    dwight howard

not far behind....

chris paul
    kobe bryant
    zach randolph
    dirk nowitzki
    a'mare stoudemire

7. #27 zro420, May 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2011
    first off, chris paul has never averaged more than 22 points or 11 assists in his career. also, you cannot say that chris paul is obviously the best point guard in the league. i'd take rose over him almost any day of the week, but paul is definitely a close 2nd. also, health should definitely be a factor in determining who you'd want on your team. chris paul's knee is a lot worse than most people think. i've watched him play this year a lot and sometimes he plays like a 35 year old guard instead of a 25 year old one. however, i know that the op said not to consider chemistry or health. i think it is ludicrous not to consider health when choosing the best players. that is why greg oden and yao ming aren't considered great players. if you weren't considering health then they would be. but you have to.

the rest of your lineup is pretty solid. in mine, i'd switch dirk with durant, but you can make a good case for dirk. i'm glad you put dwade over kobe, as it is clear that wade is better than kobe right now. no question.

8. As much as I love KD, I would NEVER play him at PF. If you had to choose between LeBron and KD, why would you put KD at PF and not Bron Bron, given the strength differential between the two?

9. ^ Exactly. KD can't post up, too weak and wiry to play the 4.

10. Rose
    Bryant
    James
    Stoudemire
    Howard

That might not be the best possible 5, but it would arguably be the most deadly top to bottom.

11. i never said he'd be better at the 4 than lebron. as i agree with you. but durant has an advantage at pf as he is way faster than most all power forwards. but he would have a harder time posting up. but kd can play the four. he would be ok.

12. pg: paul
    sg:kobe
    sf:lebron
    pf:dirk
    c:dwight

13. 07-08 Paul had 21-11
    08-09 Paul had 22-11

So if you watched Paul play did you see him destroy Lakers with his iso/pick n roll? Imagine if you gave Paul a real supporting cast, or even had David West healthy in these playoffs. Even though he lacks the explosiveness when he first came into the league, his knees are fine now. Late in the season you couldn't tell he had knee problems.

CP3 missed half a year and came back at all-star caliber. I don't know why people are treating him like he has brittle bones.. he only missed two games since coming back.

Now why is CP3 the best PG? Efficiency. There is no better decision maker at the PG position in the game right now. He can shoot close to 50% from the field, 40% from 3PT, and is an 85% FT shooter. His range and driving ability make him a hassle to guard, especially when he dishes it so accurately. He knows when to pick his shots and when to pass the ball, which shows since he has been top 5 in assists every year since coming into the league while still averaging close to 20 PPG for his career.

Now for defense he is undersized, but he makes up for it with quick hands. Rondo gets all the props for PG defense, but CP3 is the only active point guard averaging more SPG in his career.

Here's how my top 5 look:
    PG: Chris Paul
    SG: Dwayne Wade
    SF: Lebron James
    PF: Dirk Nowitzki
    C: Dwight Howard

14. the OP is putting a lot of players into the discussion who dont deserve it....

15. #35 Transporter987S, May 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2011
    It's quite obvious who's the best player at each position..
    The question is which of current combo is best in the business..

Jordan + Pippen..
    Shaq + Kobe..
    Duncan + Parker + Manu...
    Garnett + Pierce + Allen...
    Kobe + Gasol..

LeBron + Wade > Any Combo right now.

16. #36 XVIPimp, May 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2011
    Wade
    Lebron
    Durant
    Dirk
    Howard

I know I didn't list a true PG, however that team would be able to manage.

2nd team:
    CP3
    Kobe
    Melo
    Love
    Bynum

3rd team:
    D. Rose
    Joe Johnson
    Pierce
    Amare
    Marc Gasol

Honorable mentions: D Will, Z-Bo, Pau, Ray Allen, Blake Griffin, and Rondo.

Hardest choice was between D. Rose and CP3... Paul may not be the prolific scorer like Rose, but I like his passing ability and defense better. Really though, it's so close... you can't go wrong either way. D Will and Rondo are right there in the same elite tier as well.

I nearly put Kobe on the first team, in place of Durant. Don't get me wrong, Durant is great and will be for years to come, but Kobe has experience and that killer instinct that KD has yet to display. With all his post season play included, Kobe has A LOT of miles on those legs though... so I had to side with youth in the end.

Had to put Love ahead of Amare... one year or not, hard to argue with Love's numbers. I don't see any reason why he couldn't at least come close to matching his production from this past year. He is a rebounding machine, and can shoot pretty good too.

Melo really struggled at times this year, however I didn't hold it against him too much. I have always felt that he is overrated, but the only guys that I might have picked over him would be Joe Johnson or Paul Pierce. I went with Melo, but not by much. I would take a young Pierce over Melo...

Lastly, I went with Marc Gasol at Center on the 3rd team. I feel he is very underrated... although he did get some recognition during this years playoffs. I had him on every single fantasy basketball team I managed this year... definitely a good sleeper player that I had a feeling about that panned out. I think Randolph could get away with playing C, and not hurt the team too much.

I probably over looked someone, but all of those teams would be solid.