curling leaves

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by somsparks, May 11, 2011.

1. Hi people.

Being browsing the forums for a few days. This is my first post. I Have to say some of you people are amazing!
    Anyway this is my first grow in about 4 years.I have a 250 Watt son growlux lamp which I will Change to 400 when I get a chance, And 4 twin 26 Watt cfls, in soil, Temp is around 26c and Ph is just over 6.5. I know I nearly messed up by fertilizing to early, but think I got away with it.
    I was having a heat problem was up to 30c but I addedan extra intake fan and sorted that. Just wondering would anyone know from the pics if it was a nute or a heat problem? Or even a problem at all.

Thanks guys

Attached Files:

2. Sometimes, after a plant is overfed, the effects
    arent immediately noticed. In fact, it can even
    take a week or so to show up. The variable here
    is the age of the plant of course.

Thats all I think it is - a delayed reaction.
    I would just try and ride it out, unless things
    deteriorate.

Freak
    :smoke:

3. Your previous heat problem is evident on the lower leaves. Since the leaves growing in now look fine, you must have corrected the heat issue sufficiently. The heat-damaged leaves won't heal, however, but the new growth isn't displaying any obvious problems.

4. The plants in the clear plastic cups are doomed. IMHO

Roots do not like light.

Also, I'd strongly suggest you mix in perlite. I use half soil/half perlite. Makes life a whole bunch easier.

Hope this helps :wave:

5. Yes that helps! thanks for all your replys. I have a bit of work to do in the tent over the weekend so ill change the clear pots. I have another question. At the moment I have a 250w son grow lamp that does veg and flower ( aswell as the cfls) but I have a 400 Watt regular son spare. Should swap the 250 for the regular 400 watt. I know I should use a mh ill get one eventually.
    I'd be lost without all the help from this forum and you guys!

6. You don't have to use a MH lamp. It's not that important.

What is important however, is that you use a lamp which has a lot of red spectrum during flower. Something around 3,000Kelvin, is what most people use

I use a 250 and have decent hauls and a low electric bill :)

A bigger lamp doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a bigger haul, it just means you'll use more energy. My suggestion would be to work on your growing skills and then think about getting a bigger lamp.

Check out Scrog, if you want to maximize your yield.

7. this guy has clearly never grown in a clear cup. i did a test this year, and as long as you transplant on time it make NO difference

8. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

Yeah, you are correct. I don't grow in clear plastic cups.

Contrary to your beliefs - we can measure the effect of light on roots. Plants have vascular systems and by measuring the gas exchange a determination can be made.

Plant responses to environmental stimuli often involve some type of movement. Plants generally can exhibit two broad categories of movements: tropisms and nasticmovements (Srivastava, 2002). A tropism is a directed growth response to a stimulus (e.g., phototropism in response to light, ravitropism in response to gravity) while nastic movements are in response to a more diffuse stimulus (e.g., circumnutation, an oscillatory movement).

Interactions among tropisms (and nastic responses) can be important in determining the final growth form of
    a plant. In roots, gravitropism has been well-characterized since gravity is the most critical signal for growth and development in this organ (Kiss, 2000; Boonsirichai et al., 2002). However, recent research has shown that gravitropism interacts with other tropistic responses, including phototropism, thigmotropism and hydrotropism, in determining the final form of the entire root system (Hangarter, 1997; Correll and Kiss, 2002). Studies of phototropism in roots have been reviewed by Hubert and Funke (1937), but this topic was more recently explored by Okada and Shimura (1992), who isolated mutants in root phototropism which were later shown to be deficient in the blue-light receptor phototropin 1 (phot1; Briggs and Christie, 2002). Roots are typically negatively phototropic in response to white and blue light and use the same photoreceptors that are involved in positive phototropism in stem-like organs (Sakai et al., 2000).

In addition to blue-light-based negative phototropism in roots, there is a red-light-induced positive phototropism in primary roots of Arabidopsis (Ruppel et al., 2001; Kiss et al., 2003). The photoresponse to red light appears to be relatively weak compared to other root tropisms but is readily apparent in mutants that are impaired in gravisensing (e.g., starchless mutants; see Kiss, 2000). This red-light-induced positive phototropism also occurs in the lateral roots of Arabidopsis (Kiss et al., 2002).

Yeapper,some people just gotta pee on the ole electric fence. Go forth and pee my son. :wave:

9. That's not 'this guy', that Your Grandfather.

10. def a heat issue but can be caused by nutrient or ph problems too