Curling Leaves Help Please

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by MiGrow, Sep 9, 2009.

1. I am using a Omega garden hydroponic grow wheel. Some of my plants leaves are starting to curl downward and I am not to sure why. My best bet for this is going to be the heat problem i have been having for about 4-5 days. My heat is usually around 80 and has even hit 84 i know i should be at a lower heat level. I am going to add some more fans to suck in air from the outside and push old air out.Currently i have two osalating fans running in the room with one blowing directly towards the wheel. I am using Co2 with Cap eqipument. The grow wheel uses two 600 watt lights and I am in the second week of flowering. If you could give me any adive that would be great. I am using house and garden nurtients. Also this is my first time using this omega garden wheel i am also fairly new to growing only been involved in a few grows but nothing of this calibur. Thanks and please ask if you have any questions I will be checking this post often.

Attached Files:

2. Also my ph is fine is always in between 5.5 and 6.2 and i went light on the nurtients the first week with the advice of the grow shop guy. Today i changed out my 25 gallon rez and added week 2 nutrients. ppm is around 600

3. dont know much about indoor... but it looks to be a nute problem to me.... i had a plant of mine outdoor do this early on because i over fertilized her..... the leafs started to curl like yours.... i flushed the soild and did half the nute the next week and she turned out beautiful

4. Yea i thought about that because the grow shop guy told me to go light on the nutrients because he said is was pretty powerful stuff and could burn the plants. Now its not all of the plants its just some. There are a few that are showing little shrivling and curling if not any at all. Now i am concerned about it because i went normal on the nutrients today for week two. Thanks for the input

5. i over watered and it looked just like that for like 2 days

6. I believe this is from the rotation and not a problem with your plants. Your plants are trying to grow against the pull of gravity, and this is the result of that drive, while being slowly turned head over heals. Some plants show this effect more then others, so i dont think you have anything to worry about, seeing at they look healthy in other ways. Now if your color fades, or if your tips burn then thats another story.

7. Once again thanks for all the advice. I will keep an eye on these things and look out for any discoloration. I had a problem with the ph in the begining but once i fixed that the plants got there color back pretty quick. As far as the over watering goes is it possible that the rock wool cubes are getting to much water. How much of the cube needs to be touching the water as the wheel turns. My opinion is why would just some of the plants curl and not all of them because they are all in the slots and get and equal amount of water. Huh not to sure. Like i said keep the comments coming and questions also. I will post some more pics later tonight

8. What does anyone think about the heat theory? Could hitting that high temp of like 82 83 84 along with humitity do this to the plant?

9. Here are a couple things might help that I found while searching. Leaf curling down-too much of something, curling up- searching for something.
    Regarding temp., I found lots of different opinions, here is one that I just found.

90 deg. would be absolute max, with 85 closer to optimum. Do not exceed 95. Optimal temp is 80-86 with strong light and no CO2. Less than 70 is too cold for good growth, but at night will be OK to 60.

But-I just looked up in "Ask Ed", and he says- "The maximum grow rate is acheived when the temp. ranges between 70-74 deg. F during the lit period,--- when using CO2, plants function better at a higher temp.-in the mid 80's F.

10. watering to 1/4 inch depth or about 1 cm is all that is needed to do the job as the rockwool sucks up what it will via its capillary capability, and you only need to do it once or maybe twice a day at most.

Temps are ok till you get into the mid 90s then you plants will stop growing.

Again i think your leaf curling is likely ok unless you are seeing other signs of stress as well then i would be more concerned.

11. my plant gets a few leaves that look like that when temps get in mid-upper 80's (not as severe though) it seems to go beack to normal when i get them back to the 70's. so id say heat prob could be a possibility.