Curing - Straight to jar or paper bag with shreds of paper?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by JV420, Feb 11, 2012.

1. I'm wondering.. After hanging the branches and letting it dry for a few days.

Do you put the trimmed bud straight into jars?

Or

Do you put the trimmed bud in a paper bag with newspaper shreddings for a few days then jar?

Or other..
    Fill me in yo!

2. #2 Bongsauce, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2012
    I use a humidity gauge to see if the bud is at the right moisture content before jarring...it needs to be under 70% before it goes in the jar for longterm curing.

I let my buds sit out in a cardboard box till they feel a little crisp on the outside...then I jar with a humidity gauge for an hour or so...then I feel them to see if they got moistened (this is the moisture from the center of the bud leeching out towards the outside) if they feel moist after an hour in the jar I pull em out and let em sit in the box till they feel crisp on the outside again, rinse and repeat with a humidity gauge in the jar...easiest way to do it.

3. ^^^ That's an excellent way to do it man.

4. whats the better method to cure? in a jar or a paper bag!?

the guys at green house seeds dry for a week or two, and then cure in paper bags for months.

5. I hang the plants till the outside of the buds start to get a slight crispness to them. It can take anywhere from 4-7 days depending in your drying room conditions. After that I do a quick trim and toss them into paper bags till the buds are smokable, I do a final trim and then its in the jars. This method never requires you to burp the cure jars. I have used a few other curing procedures but i found this to be the easiest and most forgiving method.

6. yo bro what are the conditions of your drying room ? heat ? humidity ? fan ? cool air ? is it a diy box ? pics ? im about 4 days from chop and i have no idea... do i trim before i hang or chop hang let dry and then trim ? are your paper bags full of shredded newspaper ? if so do you put them in something in the bag to keep them from sticking to the paper ? sorry so many questions.. im just now getting to this aspect of the growing process... thanks for your help in advance :)

7. My drying room is 4x8 area. Vented with an intake and exhaust fan both are 4 inch 147cfm on a atmosphere controller that only kicks on when a certain temp is reached. A dehumidifier is set to 50% humidity with the fan set on low. Temps never go passed 75 degrees. I take all the big fan leaves off and hang the ENTIRE plant as a whole. I wouldn't recommend doing this without a dehumidifier! I do not trimm my nugs till they go into the jars.I have tried using the shredded paper in the bags, honestly I just fill the paper bags a 1/4 of the way with nugs and toss them around a few times a day. The shredded paper didn't seem to make a difference, just made t more of a pain in the ass to seperate the paper from the nugs. Then everything is trimmed and jarred. I trimm after they are dried to save the trichomes from rubbing off during the drying process in the paper bags. Word

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 WaxPayne, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2013
  9. What about using TightVac containers ? The biggest size I think is 2 or 3 lbs . Could that work out better and be easier ?

10. I don't have experience with curing in a tightvac containers... I've used them for storage though. I'm super comfortable with my method and have had nothing but great results. It's easier to open and shake a paper bag once or twice a day compared to openin and closing jars that's for sure.

11. Yea especially with that much weight lol :smoke: Do what works for YOU because there is no wrong way to grow weed unless the plant dies.

12. That my good sir is a true statement.... Everyone's conditions and equipment is different. So you have to adapt.

13. Should I shake the weed on the jar around to or just remove top for 15 minutes and replace ?

14. Remove top and replace . No need to shake , you just want to get the stagnant air outta there .