curing smell?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dotar1701, Oct 10, 2007.

  1. I have my buds in a mason jar for 2 weeks, when I open it smells rank, but pulling the buds out they have no smell at all. if I leave the jar open for a few minutes the smell goes away?
  2. I believe that might be ammonia buildup.its from chemical breakdowm within the jar.You should "Burp" the jar once a day for best results.Correct me if im wrong pros.
  3. Nahh star ur right. And by the way, Doctar, i wouldnt smoke those buds that were in that jar u had.. you said it smelled rank? was there white-ish fuzzy stuff growing on the bud or anything that wasnt there when you initially put it in the jar?? cause mold could be growing on them, so i advise you not to smoke it cause ya might die
  4. Your supposed to let the buds breath for a couple of hours or so each day, which will let a lot of the smell dissipate, as well as get rid of excess moisture. Getting rid of the moisture helps to fight mold.

    You say the smell is rank, but how so? If you smell mold, then you're in trouble, because mold is not your friend during a cure. If it doesn't smell like mold, then switch to opening the jars and letting your bud breathe for a while (longer than a few minutes) each day.

    Another question: How much weed is in the jar? Less is better in your situation, as more moisture will be able to dissipate.

    Good luck!
  5. the jar is about one third full,there is no indication of mold,I have never smelled anything like this before,when i first put them in they smelled like hay.the buds have no smell when i take them out. i have been taking them out for 15 minutes a day for 2 weeks.they do not feel wet but kind of a dry sponge, and I have smoked some, a laid back high.
  6. One third full? That sounds awfully high. Generally, the fewer buds per jar, the better. I'd recommend longer than fifteen minutes of breathing time too. No need to take the buds out, just take the lid of the jar for anywhere from 1 to 6 hours. As long as there's no mold, there's nothing that seems like an immediate cause for worry. Try distributing the bud across a larger number of jars and letting them breathe for longer each day. See if that clears up the problem in a few days to a week or so.

Share This Page