Curing issues? Need experienced help

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Kalford, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Okay so I just harvested my critical kush which looked and smelled amazing before harvest. I've only been growing a year so I'm not super experienced.

IMG_7215.JPG IMG_7214.JPG IMG_7216.JPG

I can't seem to nail down the cure. So I threw them on the net stems on for 4-5 days. 21c 50%rh. The outsides were slightly crisp but the buds still come back to shape when I squish them. I put them in jars and within maybe 12 hours (next morning) smell like shit. Not hay smell like I have had before I'm not sure if it's ammonia I don't really know that smell to well.

So I throw them back on the net and it seems the smell is gone within 5 min. Now they just smell like weed sorta plant smell and not very strong anymore.

Am I doing this right. They have only been in jars maybe 2 days. I put them back on the net this morning. I'll probably throw them back in jars tonight.

This is how they look on the net as of now

IMG_7228.JPG
    IMG_7230.JPG
    IMG_7229.JPG

2. Sounds like your buds are too moist for the jar, what does the RH climb to inside your jars after an hour? How fast does your jars RH climb? The site BrassNwood posted is more inline with how I harvest/cure also, I hang them until the stems almost crack, I like the RH in my jars to be in the 65% range but if the RH inside the jar climbs quickly I know they are still a little wet, in my experience all but the dankest meds loose their scent until the second week of cure

3. Thanks brass very good read. I don't have hygrometers small enough for the jars so I can't tell unfortunately. I'll try to pick some up locally if I can.

So hay smell is to dry I guess but what's it smell like if it's to wet in the jars?

I have some boveda packs but I found my last harvest smelt like shit when I used them. I'm sure it was just my own fault and not the boveda but I was going to try without this time.

Maybe I'll just do what brassnwoods said and go with the paper bags for a week untill the humidity drops

4. So I put my temp hygrometer thing in the one large mouth jar half full with bud and it reads 58% after a few hours so I guess I'll just leave them in the jars for now. Until I can get more smaller hygrometers. I still have 6 more plants to harvest I'll try the paper bag method for the first week after drying. There is just so much information it's hard to figure out what works best for my area.

Thanks for all your guys help if anyone else has any advice it would be great to hear it.