Curing in plastic.

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by l StayHigh l, Aug 21, 2009.

1. I AGREE 10 MINUTES OF AIR OUT TIME OR (BURPING AS IT'S NORMALLY CALLED) WAS QUOTED TO ME BY THE TECHNICAL GROW STAFF AT HIGH TIMES. ALSO IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT THE MASON JARS THAT ARE PURPLE KEEP YOUR BUDS IN THE DARK BETTER AND THATS WHERE THEY NEED TO BE KEPT. BUT IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD THAT JUST KEEP THEM IN THE BOX THE SET OF 12 CAME IN JUST DECORATE THE BOX SO THIEVES DO RECOGNIZE IT SHOULD THEY EVER BREAK IN. AS FAR A USING PLASTIC LOCK CONTAINERS TO CURE TEMPORARILY WHILE DRYING THAT'S OK THROW A LEMON OR ORANGE PEAL OR TWO INTO EACH BOX TO KEEP THE SMELL AND TASTE OFF THE MEDICINE. MAKE SURE THE CONTAINER IS BPA FREE THEN YOUR COVERING THE BASES VERY WELL ALL THIS INFO WAS COVERED BY HIGHTIMES GROW EXPERTS SO FELL FREE TO USE THE PLASTIC FOR LARGE GROWS AS YOUR BUDS ARE SHRINKING THEN TRANSFER TO MASON JARS 2 WEEKS LATER.REMEMBER IT'S ABOUT 1.5 - 2 OZ DRY WEIGHT IN A QT SIZE MASON JAR IT'S 1.25 OZ WET WEIGHT TO CURE CORRECTLY SO WEIGHT DANK BUD CORRECTLY. YOU DON'T WANT IT PILED IN THERE ON TOP OF EACH OTHER NOT BREATHING MOLD IS BOUND TO DESTROY YOUR EFFORTS.

2. #22 T-Bubbles, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    YOU CAN USE PLASTIC FOR A COUPLE DAYS TO A COUPLE WEEKS JUST PUT LEMON OR ORANGE PEALS IN THE CORNERS OF THE CONTAINERS AND BURP THE THE BOX USE A HUMIDITY GUAGE IN EACH BOX KEEPING IT AT %50 AT ALL TIMES BURPING IT A FEW TIMES A DAY FOR 10 MINUTES. CIRCULATING THE AIR AROUND THE ROOM WHEN THAT LIDS OFF WILL HELP EXCHANGE THE GASES.THE FRUIT PEALS WILL NOT CAUSE MOLD BUT MUST BE LEFT ON TOP OF THE PRODUCT NOT UNDER THE BUDS. KEEP AN EYE ON THE PEELS THEY WILL DEHYDRATE WHEN THEY ARE DRY PULL THEM OUT.

3. Don't put lemon or orange peals in your weed as that invites mold

4. The mold can be from not taking them out and putting them on a paper plate too or rolling them in the jar gently the lid needs to be off for 10 minutes a few times a day. Especially in the first weeks when they come of the stems it's a good practice to open the jar gently dump them out onto a paper plate look at your tricones see if your gaining more amber than the %30 you started with or where ever you harvested at the idea is to rotate the buds evenly and know your progress and learn.

5. #25 T-Bubbles, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    No it doesn't this has been done for 100's of years safely. Just make sure you're using fresh fruit cuttings and the peel sits on top of the buds not underneath them. When the peel is dehydrated simply remove it. I've been doing it for 35 years no problems at all and if you look up storing, trimming and flushing at High Times you'll find these great tips to back it up. Lazyness and not burping enough, brings mold over packing a jug, brings mold high humidity, brings mold. If someone doesn't feel safe about it don't do it. Use organic fruits if you feel the need but regular fruit is just fine.

6. YOU CAN GET REAL GOOD QT SIZE MASON JARS. PRICES ON EBAY FOR A SET OF 12. I JUST BOUGHT A CASE OF THEM I THINK I PAID $26 AND CHANGE FREE SHIPPING THEY DELIVERED THEM IN UNDER A WEEK FROM SOMEWHERE LIKE OAKLAHOMA TO MY HOME IN MI. THE HAVE DROP SHIPPING FOR THIS ITEM FOR JUST ABOUT EVERY STATE.

7. YEA ACTUALLY IT KINDA DOES MATTER WHEN IT COMES TO GOOD AND NOT SO GOOD MASON JARS I PREFER THE WIDE MOUTH QUART SIZE JARS MYSELF. I DON'T KNOW IF THEY MAKE A WIDE MOUTH IN A 16 OZ JAR BUT IT BEATS THE THE HECK OUT OF YOUR PRODUCT WHEN YOUR TRYING TO GET OUT A BEAUTIFUL MONSTER BUD TO SHOW YOUR BUDDIES HOW PROUD YOU ARE OF YOUR TROPHY BUD AND IT WON'T VOME OUT OF THE JAR BECAUSE YOU CRIMPED LIKE A BIG DUMMY AND BOUGHT THE STANDARD JAR INSTEAD OF THE WIDE MOUTH. PLUS THE WM DOESN'T BEAT ON THE TRICONES AND REMOVE THEM AS MUCH EITHER.

8. HIGHTIMES SAYS THERES A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PLASTIC AND GLASS AND YOU CAN TASTE IT AND THEY RECOMEND PUTTING A LEMON OF ORANGE PEEL ON TOP OF THE PLASTIC CONTAINER CURE. WE'VE BEEN DOING IT FOR MANY MANY YEARS TO REHYDRATE THE WEED ALOT OF PEOPLE DO IT FOR FLAVOR TO ENHANCE THEIR CRAPPY WEED LOL. KEEP IT ON TOP WHEN IT DRIES REMOVE IT.

9. TOO MUCH CAPLOCK

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yes it does. Moisture can cause mold. Peels are moist. I grow and cure lots of bud, adding moisture can bring mold. He's trying to dry and cure anyways. People use peels as a last minute attempt to make shit weed taste better or add moisture to over dried buds. Not to cure

• Like Like x 1
  11. Honestly just dive over to Walmart you can get Mason's jars for dirt cheap it's well worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks for the info, its kinda hard to gently dump 5 gallons of bud onto a paper plate. As stated I'm aware of the how and why I got mold. As for knowing my progress and learning, please understand this. While I can't claim to know everything about growing and curing, I put my first seed in the ground in 1978. I average 4 pounds off each outdoor plant I grow. Every year I grow between 6 and 12 plants outdoors. Doing the math on that, I'm curing between 24 and 48 pounds. So you can see how tedious burping all those quart mason jars or even gallon size mason jars can be.

Each gallon jar holds about 1/2 pound so a minimum of 48 jars are needed. So old school 5 gallon buckets with lids and turkey bags work fine.

13. 20200319_065741.jpg
    1st hydro and got monster colas. Lots of talk about 16oz jars... These wont fit.... how do you store for curing??

14. There is a guy on YouTube with a auto curing system that looks pretty sweet if you have lots of bud.

Most of the stuff you can get at Hd or Loews.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk