Curing in high humidity

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Frasier, Jun 9, 2018.

1. What are the best ways to avoid mould during the curing process in an area with VERY high humidity. I know that drying throughly helps and using boveda (58 for here) helps but I want to be as safe as possible in this regard. Also burping is a little unclear. Some say burp 3 times a day for the first week for 30 mins then 30 mins once a day for the next month. Some say less some say more.

Looking for clarity and advice. Cheers.

"Genome Soldier..?"

2. I would recommend hygrometers (accurate ones) in the jars to determine when to burp them. I like the Caliber IV hygrometers for accuracy. The cheap +-5% ones just won't cut it when trying to maintain 60-65% in the jars. I only use the bovedas once the RH in the jars has stabilized.

Check out this post, then if that don't clear things up, post back here and will try to help.
    Good cure info here

3. Hey dude, i also live in an area that is very humid most days (80% and up), i've found curing to be quite frustrating as the ambiant air is much to humid, every time i open the jars the RH. goes back up. I haven't had any mold issues yet but i have had buds that always seems just a little too damp even with a boveda. So to fix the problem i now keep all my jars in a cabinet with a mesh bag full of charcoal, basically your going to have to create a small controlled environment (cabinet, plastic bin or room) and open the jars in there. There are a bunch of different ways to bring down RH on the cheap in a small places like charcoal, road salt, desiccant beads...you get the idea.

4. Well I personally use the brown bag technique and have never had a mold issue. I cut and wet trim my buds, then I get a pick n save brown paper bags, I spread up regular newspaper not the shiny add shit just regular newspaper. Then I line the bottom,. Add bud then more paper and bud , u get the ideal. Usually 4 layers per bag. Then I roll up top and put it in a dark place. Paper absorbs moisture and humidity, I leave buds for about a week. If your nervous u can check em but I may shake the bag a bit if it's super high humidity. From their once they feel dry to touch and stems snap I mason jar buds for another week or two burping jars daily for about 10 min. I usually only fill my quart jars like 2/3rds full. Once cured enjoy. The bag way is super easy and bud turns out great

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. The problem is that mould will grow wherever there is moisture. So even if the bags absorb it it will grow on the bags and then the buds. I have mould growing on my clones and they certainly aren't wet.

"Black Project..?"

6. For a humidity around 67, would you use more methods like wet trimming and using mesh nets suspended for a few days before starting the curing?

7. I had considered the net drying to dry the nugs instead of the branches.

My tent RH is actually around 55 right now probably will be lower after harvest because the 10 gallons of wet coco likely adds to it.

"You're that ninja....."

8. Yeh that sounds good, I’m doing one this week in my veg box as I have two more halfway through flower so can’t use the tent. GL

9. For some reason my boveda pack isn't lowering the RH in my dry nug jars. I have a 58 pack in a sealed mason with some dried nugs but the rh is staying at 61% for 3 days now.

"You're that ninja....."

10. From what I’ve read, they won’t lower the RH as much as just stabilize it. Best to get it set, then pop those in the jars.

11. I'll give that a shot after lights out. Pop the jar in the tent let it adjust and then re seal it.

"You're that ninja....."

• Like Like x 1
  12. Invest in a small dehumidifier, they aren't expensive.

13. I placed a fresh cut bud in a mason jar with some cut newspaper. No hang dry just right into jar. Will let u know how it works.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. What's the RH of your area though?

Because it's preeeeety high over here.

"Kept you waiting, huh?"

15. We also have many types of mould as a result.

"Kept you waiting, huh?"