Curing Humidity Level

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by weedman88, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Hello all,

So I had some freshly dried bud I put into jars. I opened them daily for 2 weeks which brought the humidity down from 80% to 60%. Then once daily for a few days but forgot the jar open for about 12 hours which brought Humidity down to 45% steady now. I find the bud is quite dry now. I am wondering if it got to dry to fast now that it won't finish curing an release it's terpes profile as it should. It seems like the bud have no smell at all in the jar now. I do have some of the 62% boveda packs and wonder if it's worth adding those or will it take more flavour away or prevent bud from curing more. What is the best option I have ?

2. I used them Boveda packs to cure my buds, but I never had a similar issue to yours. However, I'm guessing the Boveda 62% packs could help in bringing back most of the moisture to your buds. I would go ahead and try one (or two lol). Can't hurt imo. If you happen to have a small hygrometer lying around, might want to also stick it into the jar (if it fits) to help monitor the humidity in there. I don't know of anyone (nor myself) that has complained about funny smells or tastes in the final smoke from using them. Perhaps someone else may have another option, but that's what I would try. Good luck.

3. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Boveda packs on your bud. I used to use them on my cigars and those things are PRICEY, so have at it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. I was just reading an article about curing at another site. It made specific mention about buds getting below the 58-62% humidity that is recommended, and suggests that Boveda (or a similar type of humidipack) is a good option for bringing too-dry buds back up to optimum for curing. It also specifically said that if your buds do get overly dry it won't stop the curing process, but it will slow it down.

5. Very good info thanks guys.

6. #6 Sirtootsalot, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    My experience is that once the buds are dry, there is very little curing that can happen. The packs will help keep it from drying out though, so still worth it.
    If you can get your stuff down to around 65 percent humidity, then put them in an air tight container and dont open them for a few weeks or more, it will give a great cure. I put cheap little humidity monitors in my jars to guage. Found out about them from a few guys here on GC, and they give you piece of mind.
    An article I read a while back spoke of an enzyme or something that eats the chlorophyll and allows the Terps to shine when cured this way. Made sense to me. Anyway, been doing this for ever, and it's what's worked for me, so I figured I'd share.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Once the bud can be left in the jar for two days sealed without sweating out moisture they can be stored sealed. seal em up and forget about them for a few months. When you open them you might get a plesant surprise.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Awesome tips thanks guys

• Like Like x 1
  9. I’ve smoked sugar leaves fresh off the plant, same with a bud. Talk about high. Let er cure matey, dont let er get too moist keep burping daily

I know what you mean tho. Wanting that good good quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1