Curing has made my weed smell like hay

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by maverick90, Jun 8, 2008.

1. So I cut down my plants, hung them for three days (70-75 degrees, 40-50% relative humidity). Then I put them into mason jars and have been airing them out 3-4 times a day for 10-15 min. But now the buds smell like hay. The smell is really really strong. Is that normal? Did I do something wrong? And when will it go away if it does at all? Does it always happen?

2. i know i've bought weed that smelled that way. some of it was ok, others wasnt so good. but i heard that it doesnt have anything to do with the potency.

3. u wanna dry it in a cool dry and dark place....75 degrees is too hot

4. not to mention u need to let them dry about a week.... instead of 3 days, yea i bet it smells like crap... sorry, live and learn.

5. The drying time will vary but 5-10 days is typical,and hanging buds upside down in 65F. and about 30%RH in the dark with good air movement (not directly on the buds)is best.

After drying,the cure will bring out the best that strain/pheno can offer and the longer the cure the smoother the smoke.Again curing in a cool dry and dark place is best and opening the jars once a day for 15-20min will do just fine.

Some strains do smell very BAD and most would say that is a GOOD thing too.

Everything i have ever grown has a great scent which just gets better with curing,you may have started the cure too soon and that poor smell could be mold spores over powering the natural goodness of the buds.;)