Curing for better taste. A few questions

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by slim1, Apr 21, 2012.

1. So ive read that the whole 'freezing your bud for a long time makes it more potent' is a myth.

Whats your take on this?

I love having the best tasting buds though. after i dry i always cure it in my mason jars, popping the lid once a day for the first 2 weeks and then pop the lid every time i indulge ;)

But my question is, after lets say a month of curing with letting oxygen in every few weeks by popping the lid, will it continue to cure for a Better Taste as the months, even years go by? if i put an ounce of each strain i harvest in a dark cool place in my sealed mason jars for 5 years, is there a point where it will stop becoming flavorful and robust with smell?

Id love to start storing ounces for years so in the future i have a collection of bomb buds, but dont want to waste the time if it only cures up to a certain amount of time..

would love to hear everyones thoughts and experiences with this

2. really? no one has any insight on extensive curing?

3. After 6 months to a year it begins to lose potency slowly.

4. You can store your herb in a cool dark place on a jar just make sure u check it for mold every so often... Some strains take longer to cure than others

5. Did you not read the op leftcoast?

6. Yes I did... Sorry if my post was confusing it happens sometimes after a few bong rips. U can store cannabis up to two years in a cool dark place I was told before it starts losing potency. I have some snowdawg sitting in a mirion glass jar in the closest that was cut over a year ago and the flavor is amazing and it's just as potent as it was 6 months ago

7. I know that for the cannabis cup, a lot of the samples submitted have been cured for around a year to get really great flavor. I'm sure you can go longer than that but that is just how much time that they have before strains start to become old and people want something new. Not always the case though because there are always classics ;)

8. The word on sustaining potency and freshness involves freezing in Mason jars after an extensive cure of at least 3 mos. THC degrades the least over time when stored in airtight, dark and frozen temps.

9. I YouTube about somebody using fruity pebbles. It was pretty funny too

10. ok so ive got a few mixed replies. some say strains can last up to 2 years and some only 6 months. do you think it may depend on the strain?

11. I'm my experience cheese strains and mixes with cheese take 6 to 12 months of curing to get the best flavor...

12. Curing also depends on when you harvest. The trichs continue to develop even after you harvest so if you harvest late when a lot of them are starting to disintegrate, by the time they are done curing, a lot more of them are going to be disintegrated. Of course, affecting potency. But yeah, if people entering and doing well in the Cannabis Cup are curing for around a year, then I would say that there can't be nothing much wrong with that.

13. Trichs don't develop after harvest and they don't disintegrate. Trichs will mature and turn more amber with time. ;)

14. You just kind of contradicted yourself but you said exactly what I said. You said they don't develop but then go on to say trichs will mature and turn more amber. That is exactly what I am saying by developing. They only do this a little bit though before they settle.