Curing first grow would like some expert advice Please

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by BDot555, Nov 2, 2015.

1. OK just finished my first 400w grow and I which I ended up with just about 6oz with having to cut them down 2 weeks early 1 Florida og 2 wwbb..

the smoke is OK for being cured for only 2 weeks I was wondering if the quality is that much of a difference if say I left it in for another month? ?

2. So much of the cure is tied to how it was dried.. In general a slow dry over about a week down to the mid 60s humidity then jarred with a 62% Boveda pack and stored in a cool dark place for 60 days will give a very respectable smoke.. To fast a dry will give a harsh or mowed lawn smell to your once great smelling buds at harvest..
    It's so dry here I'm down to just 24 hours most of the year on the line.. Then the buds come off the stems and I start to control how fast things dry.. This is mostly an issue in low humidity areas like the South West..
    [​IMG]
    Stripped from the branches after just 24 hours hanging and just starting to stiffen up....

[​IMG]
    Stacked in the ice chest overnight more moisture will sweat from deep in the buds and they'll all be dead limp the next morning.. I'll stir or flip the contents to a new bag a couple of times a day to keep the drying even..
    I set the bags out for the day and close them back up at night.. Gradually spending less time out each day this brings the buds down to the mid 60s humidity in a very uniform way.. At the end of about a week or as much as ten days it's ready to jar and will need no burping..
    I'll use a pair of humidity gauges in the chest and use the readings when first opened in the morning.. Really big harvest I'll use a new trash can like I did in this pic and stack all the bags out on the washer and dryer for the day..
    [​IMG]
    The final stage is 1/2 gallon jars with a 60 gram size.. 62% humidity.. Boveda humidity control pack..
    [​IMG]
    Just how I've learned to get a quality product in spite of the crappy local conditions but I ruined plenty of good smoke learning just where and why it kept going bad..
    If you've got high humidity it's just the reverse you'll need to do.. Strip all your buds down to thumb sized nugs and get them out on screens and fans.. An old buddy of mine grew and live in near swamp conditions and really had to work not to have a ton of mold..
    So you'll have to take a bit of this dry and some of that cure style and come up with a workable plan for your own local conditions.. The one thing I learned is no one style works in all conditions.. Even just a few miles further inland my friends have dryer conditions and spend even less time with the buds exposed then I do.. A few hours per day is all he needs..
    You don't get a do over if you over dry.. Simple as that it's a one shot deal.. Like cooking a steak rare you have to time it just right.. Dry below 55% and the cure process stops and really won't restart..
    BNW

3. You never said how long you dried it for. 7-14 days is optimal, anything shorter and you wont allow all the chlorophyll to break down.

4. So much of the cure is tied to how it was dried.. In general a slow dry over about a week down to the mid 60s humidity then jarred with a 62% Boveda pack and stored in a cool dark place for 60 days will give a very respectable smoke.. To fast a dry will give a harsh or mowed lawn smell to your once great smelling buds at harvest..
    So about a week to 10 days is my window..
    BNW

5. Ive found its mostly up to genetics.. Super dank smelling/tasting weed is like that even without a cure.. Bland weed tends to stay bland

6. ^ agree to disagree

7. I learned my dry and cure in the Santa Ana conditions of near zero humidity in Southern California and trust me great smelling weed can be turned to crap in a day here if left exposed to that dry air.. I ruined 4 quarts of excellent smelling Green Crack that way just leaving the lids half open on just harvested weed when I had to leave town suddenly.. I was afraid it would mold instead it dried to the point of crumbling when touched and smoked like liquid fire when you inhaled.. Worst I've ever smoked but it was all I had.. That's' what sent me searching for a better way..
    BNW

BNW

8. Ive had select strains that coat my mouth in awesome dank funk from day one of being dry and reek up the room.. Some of the best were kosher kush, rainbow jones, and durango og phenos I had.. Granted Ive had a ton that cure out dank but the rare crazy good phenos are good even when green