Curing and Burping Mason Jar Becaref

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Belhern, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Sup, been doing me for 15 yrs, about time I contributed to this site.
    Mason Jars and Curing
    The guides are already out y'all should know what to do. However I would like to caution you guys on the fact that the rubber seal on new (not used frequently) mason jars has a smell and that's why I will guess 75 percent of you new to the game are messing up your smell. (Myself included) taste smell....yuck
    A corked glass jar is leagues better a UV better still. Now buy yourself that box of mason jars. Wash them as usual. Dry them leave them out for two days (open) now put the lid on and wait say 2 hours, open them up and sniff. They have jars where the seal is not exposed. I myself brown bag it for 2 weeks after hanging for 6-13 (seasons) then anything but a remotely new mason jar. Thank me later and nice to meet yall.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Welcome...and thanks for passing along the tip. I've never used a new Mason jar...ever since I first started doing this years ago. LOL Never really thought about the lid/seal/smell thing. We have hundreds of them because we garden, can and freeze veggies and have ever since I was a kid. I started using the quart Mason jars but using the lids that come on mayo jars. They're just easier to deal with than the ring and tip system that Mason sells. I'm not sealing mine up months and months anyway and I don't have to keep up with 2-part lids. But welcome to the forum. Feel free to let any great grow knowledge you're holding onto flow out onto the page here. LOL There are tons of people who need everything they can get. TWW

• Like Like x 2
  3. Yeah man, good to meet you. Cheers

4. Whats funny is I always felt like that smell would effect things but haven't dealt with it personally (only have used old re used jars) but I planned on buying some new ones to have a fresh batch and now I know to check!

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Your very much welcome man

6. For non-new, well-used mason jars, try the thrift stores!

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sorry I don't know how that got all jumbled up :dabs:

9. Glitches happen! LOL

Granny:wave:

• Like Like x 1
  10. I was at the dollar general (big time ) and saw the mason jars and they had some blue ones. Got to thinking would it help cure to spray paint jar black to block light.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. No just store them in the dark

12. Don't think my house too humid but most of y'all are west coast so maybe it is. I've got a dehumidifier but that mug don't play. Would a damp rid bag be a less harsh way to dry out my drying cabinet? It's like a lil plastic bag that hangs
    And sucks water out of air all magic style.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. Don't know man I do volume that set up is to ghetto for me

14. Ouch. If I had feelings they'd be hurt. No volume here. Well hopefully some Deciding if I believe the dark period or not and gonna hack it down tonight or tomorrow morning.

15. I didn't mean it like that. But I honestly don't know about it

16. I figured. Just bustin chops.

17. What's up Jheez!

Check it out. The Home Depot sells humidity absorbing pellets. Cheap, easy to use and work great! Just try to keep the RH around 50-60% and you'll be good. Always keep an eye out for mold with tighter buds.
    Have you considered using a screen inside your dry cabinet to lay your buds on while drying? Also if you use an intake and extraction fan, that will help out tremendously. Air circulation is key to fine herbs.

Saludos!

Shaka Belhern!

Full training, indoor hydro.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Oh I'm hanging loose brotha!

• Like Like x 1
  19. I'll check them out thanks. I tried a small damp rid kit. Maybe more would help. I was thinking screen and may do that this time. Seems easier than hanging Going for Tighter buds this time but heat is issue. Avg is 91. It's a higher temp strain but feel I may be pushing it. Doesn't seemed heat stressed so maybe that's something.

20. Keep in mind that higher humidity does amount to higher temperatures. :) lower the humidity a bit and you will drop a few degrees. Just keep an eye on your babes for signs of stress.

You got this!

Saludos!

Full training, indoor hydro.

• Like Like x 1