Cure to Root Rot in DWC with EWC TEA? Find out how

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Dustybowlz, Sep 11, 2011.

1. No problem. Spent the past two days reading the 90+ pages. I feel now I can answer what ever questions arise.

2. subbing up for this one...

3. This is good info thats needed that I am crediting to Mr Heis

4. #24 Dustybowlz, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    Slime in the tea is actually a thick biofilm that comes from the intense concentration of microbes and because there is organic material (molasses) being fed on. You wont see this in your buckets, in fact you can safely move this airstone to a live bucket to provide bennies. [/QUOTE]

The first time I made a batch I put a clear lid over it so I could see it. I didnt have a good lid so it worked but I didnt get much bio slime. This next batch I put my old cloner lid on with a screen under it. There was a lot of ventilation this time. There also was a LOT of bio film.... I was like, wow, thats what there talking about.

[​IMG]

5. Heres some more good info. I use grandmas molasses and for the first 24 hours I can smell it aswell as the earthy smell. At the 36 hr mark the molasses is gone and its just earty/mossy/swampy and thent at 49 hr its mossy/ swampy. Seems spot on for what I had expected.

6. Please let It know how it works for you.

7. Small update, better photos coming later..

I have switched to GH ancient forest, much better EWC. IMO, it isnt about justh having EWC in there. It really helps having the diversity and the humics in the AF. Just one batch ran with AF and I have better root growth then 3x batches with "random ewc".

ALSO, I am experimenting with Subculture M/B to see if the tea is more diverse.

I know it costs more than the mix in the OP, but some people want a fix now and cant order mycogrow OR find some ingredients I listed in the OP. Will report with findings.

BTW, it has been a week now since root growth has started, IT is slow, but it is coming. I know I allowed my problem to become more advanced (as slime issue goes, not pythium, I didnt have broken, nasty solid brown roots). I have soo much branching going on. Lots of new growth coming from net pot. Looking under water I have a decent amount of branching going on. Once my plants arent deficient and arent eating a shit load, my ph will chill out and hopefully I can stop agitating my root zone some much and let my mycorrhiza become established.

Somthing I learned this past week, mycorrhiza means "relationship between fungi and the rootzone". It isnt a fungi or a bacteria persay. It is a diverce population of fungi and bacteria working hand in hand to feed, protect and live on and around rootzone. Each type different then the other, but needed for many different jobs that need filled in the rootzone. This tea should be able to be with ANY type product, as long as you have a good amount of the key 7 elements. Trichoderma, glomus, bacillus (the more types the better), GH Ancient forest, Food for microbes/ molasses, Lots of airation and 48 hours. That is all it takes for an army that not only protects but also prevents AND allows you to run water temps of 72-76 with no worries of issues. No need for chillers, PITA methods to keep water cold or gobs and gobs of maintenance.

Some may not like having to brew a tea, but remember, you reap what yo sew.

8. Oh and I have also added a fish tank heater thats auto set at 78*.

Mine sits in a 68-70* room and you get better/faster colonization/breeding at higher temps.

9. #29 Dustybowlz, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2011
    Ive figured out my issue is coming from my cloner. Taking advice from another forum I am using pool shock at this dose

Pool shock
    -1gallon RO (cant be chlorinated)
    -1 gram pool shock
    -shake the hell out of it.

Mix this at this rate
    -Mix 1-2oz out of this gallon mix you just made Per 5 gallons of water.

I dont know at this point in time if its safe for use in ANYTHING but an aero cloner, I am noticing really nice results soo far from my aero cloner though.

Thought I would share.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. #30 linky, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
    I have 4 55 gal res's for my hydro setup (flo n gro). This is the first time in over 2 years I have had root rot but I seem to have it now somehow (res temps are 66-70 and have the largest air pump local hydro store sell with 4" hydrofarm air stones, makes ALOT of bubbles in my reses) I also changed recently from 6" grodans and perlite to hydroton as my medium and changed nutes from house and gardens to cyco line. How do people handle making a batch of tea large enough to handle this size reses? Should I just get another brute container (holds like 44 gals) and just make a batch this large? I would need about 4 gallons of tea per res every 3 days, so make a new 40 gallons batch every week or something I would guess. Is this possible to make batches this large? What would the cost be per batch? thanks all

**Also what are some substitutes to ZHO powder? looking at my local grow stores website they do not seem to sell ZHO powder (although they do carry botanicare nutrients, I use aquashield actually with the cyco nute line), ill check in store when I go later. I do have some great white I purchased like 2 years ago that I never really used, can I use this instead of zho powder?

After reading some more I am not sure its root rot, its dark brown slimy looking stuff on some of my roots, my PH rises .2 - .5 each day in my reses requiring me to use ph down daily. root rot would cause ph to go down correct? 

thanks again!

couple months later what did you end up doing?

the MycoGrow solution is cheaper and now you can buy it in 1lb for around 5$ /oz each oz should be good for 12gallons
    MycoGrow + ancient forest is not that expensive...

yu can also just use MycoGrow without making a tea out of it see how that helps.. 

12. Don't know if you are still on here but I am in the battle of my ladies life right now been giving her tea every 3 days and I have new roots bursting forth , how ever , I have a black slime all over my older roots , I've read that that is om , to push through it but I am wondering if you encountered this as well . I'm sure the black is due to the Sub M but it's the slime after the tea I'm ?ing ?

13. What I just did to my plant it hade slim over the roots in the nutrients. I took plant sprayed the roots with H2O2 then hade a bucket with flora kleen took an extra air pump put the air hose right in the middle of slimy roots in fresh ph'd water at ph 5.70 cleaned the roots in the bucket air just blew the slim off dunked in the ph water rinced with ph water at 5.8 mixed half strength nutrients ph 5.8 EC 2.1 ppm 1100. The roots look great today and drinking again cross my fingers but so far so good. Try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. An update my roots after using the air to clean. She has put on new roots and growing like hell. Give it a try helped me out. Hope it will work for you too.

15. Treating fungal outbreaks is popular, making teas, using chemicals and so on. Most people only talk about treatments to kill fungi.

Does anyone ever strive to prevent fungal outbreaks?

How do you prevent fungal outbreaks?

16. I suffered through the "AFTER SLIME " and let me tell you my net pot is bursting with new growth of roots . And my after slime was horrible , I almost threw out my lady it was so bad . Suffer through it . Make sure to scrub roots before you go to clean Bucket though each time ! This stuff works . I testify !!!

17. No it didn't clog up mine and hasn't , I am on 4th brew since the war started !

18. Seems more logical to me that preventing the root rot/fungal outbreak is better than enduring the cost, the stress and crisis of all the mess involved with "the cure."
    You know, like it's easier to prevent the dreaded claps when the gates open and your horse get's out vs. catching and treating the disease.

19. My update from 1/8/17 i was suffering bad with them slim after cleaning roots every time I use any container it get bleach and water rinse real good. Also I did add another stone it. I haven't hade no problems at all I also did add few drop per gallon of super thrive roots took off and so many new roots is unbelievable from where she was!!! Haven't hade to do anything but test nutrients and PH for a week straight. My air stones never got plugged either.