Culture or something else?

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by thrice54, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Ok, so here's my story I moved to Belgium to study philosophy this year, (Originally from canada) and about month and a half ago started going out with this belgian girl. Everything was great we got along amazing and had initially planned to try and take things slowly and not really be in a relationship, but it didn't work out so well we acted very much like bf and gf and decided that we liked it.

Anyways the thing with belgian students is that they always go home from university for the weekend or on holidays, she also had to get tonsils out and was away for a week. So we've always communicated, but for the amount of time we'd being dating there seemed to be a strong emotional attachment despite not spending that much time together.

Each week was always different and the way it varies is driving me crazy too, one week we'd spend every free moment together the next week barely see one another. Now that we've entered the holidays its even worse. Exams in belgium start on January 5th and she's at home studying like crazy b/c she has nine exams and if she fails any of them wont be able to go back to school for six years. (just the way it works kind of complicated) The week before she left she also had three exams and so she's become very distant. I feel like she doesn't even consider us together, at least thats how I feel she thinks, (but this is all through text message and the odd conversation) anymore which is such a strange contrast to the way things were before.

I just don't really know what to think about our whole relationship at all, I mean I really like her and she seemed to like me a lot. On her birthday I dec11 I did some really nice things. Wrote a song for her and stuff and she told me that I was perfect. Now though all this distance, during a time when I'm missing my friends and family, and already kind of depressed is just making it really hard on me. I just can't seem to get anything out of her and don't know if what we have is really worth me going through all this or whether I should move on. We've also being very vague at least in how official things are and left it open ended, because we each have our own individual plans. I plan to call her today and talk to her about the whole thing, about how I feel and see if we can get some straight answers.

So I just don't really know what to do? Is this just because of the exams that she needs to be distant in order to get her work done or something I just can't get the whole thing out of my head its all I think about. So I think in this phone call I'll try and figure things out with her, maybe a break until she has time to commit to a relationship or something like that, but I just really want it to work out with her. What to do, what to do... so I'm turning to GC.

2. Anyways update on this. I called her this afternoon and we talked about everything for awhile. We both knew going into that this wasn't really a relationship to last I guess I just had more hope then her that it would. She's moving to New York at the end of exams and says she's really excited about it and will probably stay there, at least thats her original plan, she's only coming back if it doesn't work out. Oh well, I guess I was just dreaming it would last. Still its a shame we both agree that we wish it could last longer, but this is life. I'll just have to find another cool belgian girl I guess. Their accents are just so goddam hot, oh well all good things come to an end.