Cultural Production of Ignorance

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Penelope420, Mar 13, 2014.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hiltzik-20140307,0,1622098.column?page=1#axzz2vbud526M

Please.... keep reading.

2. #2 AlwaysUnder, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2014
    Interesting topic that is. I understand why it may be necessary to pull one over the eyes of the public at times, but it seems to me that the rampancy of false information is kicking society in the butt. How can we make well meaning decisions if we don't know the cause of some problems facing our state, nation or globe?

I pride myself in always trying to find the true answer behind many of the issues we have today, that way I can be a well informed citizen and form strongly based opinions .

It also seems that many choose ignorance over knowledge itself, hiding from the truth can bring so much relief, but at what cost? 

3. I'm sure the government never manipulates information, right guys? Especially the causes you agree with. The causes you agree with are based on 100% factual info that no one manipulated

4. #4 Penelope420, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014

Disinformation can come from anywhere. Being able to disseminate manipulated information from real facts... that is what is important.  The article is looking at how manipulated facts can become so entrenched in society.  See the point about the anti-vaccine parents remaining just as opposed to vaccines (and in some cases even more adamant about it), even when given actual facts and scientific data.  What causes people to reject facts and science?  FUD - Fear, uncertainty and doubt that has been injected into society from a number of sources.

I don't choose a "cause" and then search for evidence to agree with it.  I try to look at the facts surrounding something, and then form my opinions.  I'm certainly not implying that everything I agree with is based on 100% factual evidence, because that would generally be impossible, and because of that my opinions may change over time based on new information. 

I 'm npot

When did I say you choose a cause then look for evidence?

I'm saying the reason some people support the causes they do could be because of manipulated info. Which is the point of your OP.....

7. indeed