Cucumber beetles??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by DeeplyROOTED87, Jun 10, 2018.

1. What’s growing on everyone. I was wondering if anyone knows how to deal and get rid of cucumbers beetles? I just pick them off by hand but I have a lot of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  2. Need oil! And it doesn't kill any beneficial bugs.

3. Neem oil hinders an insect's ability to feed and reproduce, it also acts as a repellent. So it will affect beneficial insects.

Beetles breed in the soil, treat the soil treat the beetles. You can spray neem or spinosad on the plant and do a spinosad soil drench but the best bet would be adding DE and crab meal to the soil.

Crab meal will shred the soft bodies of beetle grubs and the DE will scratch up the insects and suck the moisture from their exoskeleton essentially dehydrating them to death.

"Genome Soldier..?"

4. Beneficial insects do not feed on your plant. They pollinate or eat other bugs. That is one of neems main selling points.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. And p.s. They do not lay eggs in the soil. Screenshot_2018-06-10-12-22-50.png

6. The larvae live in the soil as it states there to feed on the roots. Beneficial insects don't feed on the leaves but neem oil repells insects from the leaves.

Neem Oil General Fact Sheet

Neem also inhibits fungal growth (both beneficial and harmful) and repells (beneficial) insects and nematodes in the soil making it a bad soil drench. Spinosad is low toxicity and will kill beneficial soil insects but not microbes or fungus and nematodes and also won't harm the micro fauna living in the soil or feeding on yhe soil fungus making it an excellent soil drench.

Killing the larvae will end the life cycle.

"Genome Soldier..?"

7. Dude...not trying to argue... but here is the fact. Yes they do emerge from the soil but once that happens they are on your plant. Laying eggs on plant. Eating plant. So yes the plant needs to be sprayed. Very little neem gets on soil to kill anything so it is not going to ruin your whole micro life ....just a bit.
    De is always a good thing no matter what. Not arguing that at all.
    But the plant if being eaten should be sprayed.
    So with that said... I'm done arguing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Oh I absolutely agree on spraying the plant. But the soil needs treatment too or they come back.

"Genome Soldier..?"