Crossfit. Love it or hate it?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Mushie, Aug 28, 2012.

1. #1 Mushie, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
    Here's a thread where we can discuss all aspects of Crossfit, both positive and negative. Please share your thoughts.

My personal experience with Crossfit started about 9 months ago, I was starting to notice that I was getting a bit overweight, nothing too extreme, however I've always wanted to live a more fit life. Throughout most of high school I was fairly inactive, only really getting any physical activity in gym class, on days I wasnt ditching. So naturally when I first stepped into my local Crossfit gym, I was a bit intimidated, having such limited experience with working out and having never lifted weight in my life.

The trainers were extremely helpful in coaching me on proper form and helping introduce me to all sorts of different movements, ranging from deadlifts, burpees, squats, etc. to more complex movements such as the snatch, muscle ups, and cleans. The trainers were also helpful in introducing me to basic nutritional knowledge, as we all know diet is 90 percent of the battle!

Currently im in the best shape of my life, I have made huge progress with the help of my trainers and the support of those at my crossfit gym. I still have a long way to go before I reach my goals, but every day I aim for progress and thats what matters.

Current stats. 19 years old, 175 lbs

mile time 6:27sec
    deadlift: 320 lb
    squat: 235 lb
    clean: 200 lb

Post about your experience or opinions on the crossfit program.

Note: I'll throw some pics of me and the progress I have made up on here when I get the time.

2. Left is before I started crossfit. The pic of me on the right is after about 4 months.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic from about a month ago making more progress.

[​IMG]

And finally here are a few recent pics I took at about 9 months in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. I do crossfit style workouts; meaning I incorporate a lot of olympic lifts and CF programming into my circuits but tailor them to better compliment my muay thai/martial arts training. For example, I can complete Fran in under 3 minutes on any given day, but I don't treat it as a full workout when I do. I also isolate various body parts and movements in separate sessions throughout the week (which is seen as blasphemy in most CF circles). They say it is the perfect conditioning regime for fighters but most tend to disagree. It's a very solid program but not a golden ticket for every athlete.

I don't have any complaints though. If I hadn't been introduced to crossfit (5-6 years ago) I would not be training correctly for my needs today.

4. I think of cross-fit pretty highly. Glad they get the basics out there for people. I have a problem with a lot of the cardio they try to push on ya (not everyone's cup of tea). You look good though man, keep up the hard work! :)

5. I think crossfit is a joke in my opinion. I'd much rather have strict form lifting than tearing my shoulders doing "kipping" pullups.

6. Form is always the number one priority where I train. :confused_2: I find it mildly ironic when serious lifters/fitness enthusiasts say that considering if you actually know the lifts then you should be able to figure out how to scale your weight for reps without sacrificing form.

If kipping pullups are hurting your shoulders it's because you're not generating the right momentum from your hips. It's a hip dominant movement. But with that said, I'm not a fan of the exercise and don't do them anyway.

7. Like anything it can be modified. Don't like kipping, then just do strict. In my opinion there is no one perfect form of fitness as its up to the individual to find what works best for them and their goals. I personally enjoy the supportive atmosphere that I found working out at crossfit, I find it helps motivate me to push that extra bit and get the most out of my workouts.

8. Love crossfit just did wittman today it was
    Killer

9. nice we did this one.

“Mr. Joshua”
    5 Rounds for time:
    Run 400m
    30 GHD Sit-ups
    15 Deadlifts 250#/165#

10. Heres a recent pic, been slacking off lately due to being sick and hurting my back falling off a horse a week ago. My diet hasnt been the best but im gonna be back at it in full force next week. Will post an updated pic in a month or so.

[​IMG]

11. I love crossfit. I started in may, and have been super obsessed ever since. I have always been a musician, artist, type. Never played any sports or anything like that. My dad is a trainer at the local CF gym here. When i moved back home my life was in a pretty rough state, and I needed something to boost my confidence. The first day i could barely run 400m. I was so bad at it. A month later i entered my first competition and LOVED it. Since then ive been working towards more competitions, doing 6 days a week and strength training 3 days a week. I quit smoking cigarettes, and quit drinking as heavily as i was. Crossfit really turned everything around for me and made me realize how strong i am. I love it :)

12. ^ your story sounds similar to mine. When I started I had little background in working out, I was overweight, smoked a pack a day and drank a good 4 days every week. My diet was poor, my self confidence was low and my general level of happiness wasnt that great...

My mom worked out at a local gym and she fully supported me to come try it. At first I struggled to do one or two pullups, and my cardio was absolutely horrible. I couldnt run 250m without stopping being totally winded. The changes came gradually, first I started eating a bit healthier, working out 3 days a week, and switched from cigs to chewing tobacco. Then as I got more into it I started making bigger changes, committing more to my diet, dropping tobacco all together, working out 6 days a week. I found myself looking foward to going to the gym, it felt like less of a chore and it became more of a lifestyle that I enjoyed.

Crossfit has really opened my eyes to how strong, both mentally and physically I really am. Im able to push myself harder than I thought possible and it feels good. I started out as an unhappy, overweight individual who could barely run 250 meters without being winded. To a strong, self confident individual who is constantly striving for improvement.

Its amazing how far I have come. Today I ran 8 miles, 4 downhill first then back uphill for the last 4. And the last 0.5 miles I picked up what I would guess was a 30-40 lb rock and carried it the rest of the way uphill.... and to think at first I struggled to do two pullups or to run 250m.

heres a pic from today, right before I picked up the rock for last half mile I snapped this photo.

[​IMG]

13. Man I did my first Crossfit class today and it was pretty intense.

We jerked and squatted today then the workout was

400 m run
    3 rounds 10 kettle bell swings
    10 toe to bar

Then another 400 m run.

It doesn't sound like much but I was dead after, such a good time

14. ^ yeah i bet anything that you go high instensity will tire you out. our workout today is as follows..

For time:
    100 Pull-ups
    75 Kettlebell Swings 53#/35#
    50 Burpees
    25 Squat Clean Thrusters 95#/65#
    Run 800m w/ 45#/25# plate

The higher weight is the mens weight in case there is any confusion lol

15. I'd like to give Crossfit a try just once.

Is there like a trial session I can go to? I don't know how that stuff works :p

16. yeah just search for a local crossfit gym and give them a call. Most of the ones I know of offer a free trial. My gym will usually give you a free week so you can get an idea of whether you like it or not.

But yeah Id just call em up and ask, Im sure any gym worth their salt will be more than happy to offer you a free trial.

17. That sounds fuckin intense man. What was your time?

Ours was timed too, we had to get under ten, I did it in 7:50 something

18. yeah ours was a chipper, I think i ended up getting 35 min and i forget how many seconds... it was a hard workout though forsure

19. Got myself a free week trial :D Thanks dude

Now just gotta figure out how to work around BJJ and class

20. good to hear man, be sure to check back in here and let me know what you think of it!