Crossbreeding

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by rockn01, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Is there any data available here or anywhere that explains how breeders crossbreed the different strains? I just think it sounds interesting and would like to read on how it's done. Who knows, some day I might even try it.

2. I've never done it, but from what I know you just take the pollen from the male of one species (using a clean paint brush) and brush it onto a section of bud from the female of the other species. I've read that you can preserve the pollen too, I think just by keeping it in an air-tight containter. I could be wrong though.

3. http://icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=2 has a lot of good info about genetics and breeding. I've said it before but I wish we could have a similar forum here as I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in breeding and the lineage of strains. Alright is correct on the basics. It's quite simple to make your own crosses like that. Now actual breeders are going to grow a huge number of plants and select the best from those (that selection would be the key to a good breeder). Closet breeders just have to cross what they have and hope for the best.

Just to expound a bit on the technique, like Alright said, gather your pollen and dust it on a bud or two and only those buds will produce seeds. The rest of the plant will be seedless sensimilla. You will want to turn off your fan for 24 hours so the pollen doesn't get spread everywhere. I didn't do this, but you can also wet the rest of the plant down which will render any stray pollen unviable. The males need to be grown in a seperate area of course. What I have done is the past is once a plant shows male, I'll chop some of the longer branches off or shorten them and basically tie the rest down into a compact ball just to make it small. Throw it under a couple of CFLs until it drops pollen which will probably take 2-3 weeks after 12/12.