Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Crock Pot

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by 3L Kabong, Jul 18, 2011.

1. I've been doing some research into Crockpot/slow cook methods and I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information.

I plan to use the butter on top of water method. My Crockpot is a little big, so I'll either be using a Pyrex container or a small stainless steel bowl as the cooking vessel with the Crockpot heating the water bath.

Okay, here's my question. There are multiple, conflicting sources of information. There are several sources that say never more than 3 hours, others, 20 hours. People who have done this seem to have very different ideas about what never to do. People also seem to saw things like Low or High heat, without referencing what the temperature of the water in their particular Crockpot is.

Does the coarseness of the grind matter?

What is the time limit/curve for maximum extraction?

2. Nothing?

Started at 6:30 Central with a small batch. 7g, mixed stems + mid grade.

Here's the setup:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I've just added some boiling water to the bath after taking this pic.

It's been about 90 minutes since I whisked the green into the melted butter. Here's my concern. Still NO aroma. Shouldn't the house be reeking by now?

3. Please, someone help me out here.

I switched the setting to High. It's been over 2 hours now and if someone could tell me how not to waste this bud I've got in the cooker, I'd appreciate it.

4. Been 3.5 hours, testing it now. Switched back to low. In an hour, if I don't feel much, switching back to high and leaving that way for the night.

Grrr. Wish how much to leave it before it's overcooked.

5. never go ober 375 degrees. danges anywhere from 240 degrees to 365 degreees.

6. Not knowing the exact temps you're working with, I can't really offer you much advice, except that, if it's uncovered and not smelling yet, it's probably not done.

If the oil-herb mixture itself is warm, but you can touch it with your most heat-resistant finger (usually the index or pointer finger of your dominant hand) and it feels comfortable and you can hold it in place for more than a second or so, you're in for a 4 - 7 hour process. Again, it varies widely not knowing the exact temp. If it's just too hot to touch, it should've only been about 2 hours. You're working with butter, which (unless you clarified it) is an impure oil source, meaning your 'edible solvent' is very slightly diluted and slightly less efficient, so add some more time there as well. If you didn't decarb first, add another few hours; activation takes longer when submerged and not exposed to open air.

Visually : You'll know your oil is complete, when it reaches a rich, glossy dark brown, almost back color. If it helps, here's the difference between an oil from start, to finish.

Before...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Thanks.

I definitely need to rethink things. This was kind of a spur of the moment thing with some leftover mid. I went out and grabbed what I thought I needed, looked up a methods on what I thought I knew (which explains the butter), found a supposedly easy method and went with that.

This attempt was mostly a failure.

For one, I didn't have a thermometer, so it was mostly a guessing game. I did have it covered and the glass bowl I used was too hot to touch.

I did not go through a separate decarb process.

Around hour three, I sampled about a 1 1/2 tablespoons and ended up falling asleep an hour and a half later. Had a couple beers so not entirely sure if it was the butter that did it.

Woke up after about it was seven hours in, kind of panicked and took it off. Should have realized that the lack of smell was a bit of a giveaway.

The 1:3 butter:eek:il for separating the plant matter and the oil did not work for me. Maybe it was the suspended solids from the butter that caught the powder but it congealed into a solid mess that has to be run through a strainer anyway, which is what I read that the water/oil mixture was supposed to help avoid.

What I ended up with was a light to medium green solid butter with a huge flakey brown mess stuck to the bottom.

Potency is disappointing. This batch is definitely providing less bang for buck than if I'd just burned it. Also, it smells like overcooked, almost but not quite rotten cabbage.

So now that I'm one failure down, I think I'd like to do this right.

There's gotta be an idiot proof way of doing this.

What kind of oil do you use?

8. I only do single doses in the crock

Sorry