Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Crock Pot cannabutter for dummies

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by ero, Jan 22, 2011.

1. If you're referring to me, asking why I only have one bar of rep that'll be because I only just joined. :) Oh and I'm not a kid btw, although I may act like it at times. :) Thanks tho.

2. Instead of rinsing with hot water, which will leave more oil behind and take in more chlorophyll, you may as well step it up a notch and use high proof grain (drinking) alcohol... this strips the oil from the plant much faster, and should remove a better ratio for you by stripping much less 'inert' plant matter, versus more potent plant matter, compared to rinsing with hot water (which will remove more inert and unnecessary plant matter such as chlorophyll, plant wax, and bitter salts, versus potency).

Your other option would be to freeze and save it, in order to make a 'weak base' oil, with the remains of your waste herb... of all the above options, this provides the cleanest, purest oil.

However, its drawback is that it is diluted, and shouldn't be added to the last batch... but instead, it should be used as the base oil for your next batch of decarbed herb. This should contribute up to a few additional doses, depending how much material you used, to the following batch of oil you make.

If each time you make oil, you save the remains from the last batch, and add it to the next, you're gaining the equivalent of what will be left behind each time, and nothing goes to waste. :hello:

3. Hey, thanks Veggie! Prospector, I've never tried rinsing the mash with boiling water. It seems like it would work, but in the end I have several pounds of butter so I don't really see a need to chase those last couple of ounces. Just lazy I guess.

Also, getting all of the water out is a pain in the ass. After the butter and water separate and the water is discarded, I usually melt the butter and put it in 2 cup (1lb) containers. No matter how hard I try, there is always a little bit of brown sludge water at the bottom after they solidify. If I then discard water, melt and pour again, the water is usually gone after the next solidification.

FYI, I tried a batch in the crock pot with no water. It looked like it was going well, but when left overnight it was boiling the next morning and smelled like peanuts. It still had good potency, but the butter got way too hot. Looks like I'll keep dealing with the water.

Thanks for reviving this thread! Whatever you celebrate this time of year, have a great Holiday!

4. Nice write up man, I'm gonna give this a go. Perfect time for cannabutter with all the holiday baking that's gonna be happening. Nothing like some medibles to bring in a good Christmas xD.

5. Great post! Just the recipe I was looking for!

6. I'm too scared to try the cooking, plus I have a kid and I just don't feel comfortable messing with when he's around. Just a personal preference of mine.

I do know that this seems like the way I would do it. You explained it perfectly.

BadKittySmiles... all I can say is if I ever tried someone's edibles (never had them.. want to though) I would hope they cook with the same love and knowledge you do. I'm drooling just thinking about it..

I'll be saving this thread. Thanks guys.

7. I hear ya man

I honestly don't keep many medibles around as I have kids as well and that could be trouble if not hidden properly.

But I did make this recipe up this weekend and it was really easy. Set it and forget it really... I just left the crockpot in my room where the kids barely go anyway. The butter came out perfect and I couldn't taste the MJ when I cooked my fried eggs :D. The real test though will be later when I make some cookies haha :smoke:.

8. Message for Ero, or anyone else whose used this method....... How many cookies does it make??? With my math, 0.5lbs of butter = 24 cookies, so 2lbs of butter should equal 96 cookies.... Is this accurate????

9. That sounds about right. Most cookie recipes call for 1 cup of butter which is, I think, approx. 1/2 a pouind. I guess the hard part is resisting having more than just one. :)

10. Make tea with the mash

11. Made a batch, delicious! thanks for the tips! how many should you eat to feel the effect? i have a moderate tolerance

12. [quote name='"ero"']
    So here we are the next morning. The butter is on top and solid, the water is on the bottom. Cut the butter up with a sharp knife and remove it.

This is optional, but I usually melt the chunks of butter and pour them into a smaller container. Notice the butter is starting to melt. It looks brown when melted but will return to the familiar green color when solid.

I poured the melted butter into a tupperware style container and will put it back in the refridgerator or freezer. It will stay good for a couple of months in the refridgerator (like regular butter). It will stay good and just as potent nearly forever if left in the freezer. I just defrosted some from two years ago and baked with it, no potency loss.

Using this method, the butter comes out very smooth tasting. Here are some sugar cookies made with this butter. They look, smell, and taste like any other sugar cookie and the marijuana is completely imperceptable... until an hour or so after eating!

Enjoy!

PS You will end up with less butter than you started with, usually a loss of about 2oz per pound of butter. You just can't recapture everything you put in there, so if you need exactly a pound or two pounds of butter, start with a little more.[/quote]

One question! Would it be possible for me to use this exact recipe, except replacing butter with coconut oil? Thanks for the post! :)

13. awesome guide man, have been looking for an easy way to get started making edibles and this is it :) will post some of the stuff i make next week when i get my next oz.

14. What if my crock pot boils on low? I did this and when I woke up the next morning it was at a slow boil. Should I keep it on warm or is that not hot enough. I just don't want to burn the greens and get a bitter flavor.

15. Nice I am going to do this out side will it smell up my area

16. Made this last night with probably about twelve grams to fourteen its sitting in the fridge right now

17. unsalted butter or salted? what one should i use?
    thank you :)

18. Unsalted.

19. I've used both, it doesn't really matter. It's just a matter of personal taste. I use unsalted.

20. thanks for the help :)

my first batch ever!
    butter1.jpg