Crisp buds but soggy stem?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by GroovyGas, Mar 15, 2019.

1. I feel like an idiot grower lmao. I have my dad that grows all kinds of badass weed and yet I can’t even keep up with 6 plants. Anyway... I’m drying my weed right now and the outside of the buds are really crispy but when I go to trim the scissors don’t cut threw the stems cause how wet they still are. What should I do? My only guess is that there to much airflow and there drying to quickly but I need that much with my humidity. Suggestions? I was thinking I could use boveda’s for a day then put them back in the tent and hope they don’t crisp until the core drys.

2. What needs to be done is to redistribute the moisture left in the stems to the buds. You can accomplish this by "sweating" the buds. If the buds are hang drying, I take a large group of branches and pull a garbage bag up and over them, pushing most of the air out as I tie a loose knot. This environment will create a microenvironment with higher humidity. Feel the buds through the bag and soon they will have some "give" again - this is a sign the moisture has begun to escape from the insides to the outsides. You can do a couple cycles until you are happy with the dry.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Sketch.... I feel like that’s a mold breeding ground.
    I just chopped and cured them but im leaving the jars open in the drying room for a few days with a few shakes per day to redistribute the buds. There already more moist but not soaking.

• Like Like x 1
  4. All of this should be done in your drying room, with good air circulation to boot. There is a loose knot for some air exchange. Honestly, if anything is a mold breeding ground its glass jars. The plastic bags aren't airtight like glass is. That's why I cure in Turkey bags. Either way, I hope you have some great smoke.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Og turned out great, but I have Wedding Cake today at day 3-4 of hang, what would the pros do now trim?

6. To my own regret at times, I trim all buds as close as possible and dry on a screen rather than hang whole. Process is quicker but likely robs them of some nuance.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Explain please I’m good for a new way

8. Clip, clip, clippity clip.

9. Couldn't resist, sorry. trim everything from stalk and air dry on a screen so air flows as much as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Does it retain flavor and smell? Also looks? Any pics of yours?

11. Forever at the empty end of my stash jar, but I'll post a pic when I chop the next in line in a few weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nice

13. Well I made a dry box I watched Kaligrown Buds on YouTube and hung up my colas, now it’s 60% humidity in the box . I’ll keep them there for awhile

• Like Like x 1
  14. One of my drying racks; an oven basting pan with a sheet of screen clipped to the rim giving airflow to the buds. Leaving little to no stalk, as I mentioned may rob the final product of some complexity but takes only a few days.
    IMG_20190411_082520.jpg
    A nibble from a few that are close, just to give me a quick sample before chopping down the whole forest.