Crippling migraines

Discussion in 'General' started by cloudkookoo, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Ever since I was little I've suffered from terrible migraines, which completely immobilize me.

So, tonight I decided to do some research on these crippling migraines I get...
    The name given to this specific type of migraine I suffer from is 'Aura Migraine'

'Migraine with aura is characterized by a neurological phenomenon (aura) that is experienced 10 to 30 minutes before the headache. Most auras are visual and are described as bright shimmering lights around objects or at the edges of the field of vision(called scintillating scotomas) or zigzag lines, castles (teichopsia),wavy images, or hallucinations. Others experience temporary visionloss. Nonvisual auras include motor weakness, speech or language abnormalities, dizziness, vertigo, and tingling or numbness(parasthesia) of the face, tongue, or extremities.'

I get the temporary vision loss like every time I get a migraine. Then my vision goes like this.

[​IMG]

Then I feel a sharp...burning, stabbing feeling in the base of my brain. Which is almost always followed by some pretty serious puking. The more I open my eyes, the worse I feel.

If I look at the blue daytime sky, it turns to a bunch of multicolored stars... sounds beautiful? Im sure it would be... if it didnt cause me excruciating pain.

Im rendered completely useless when Im having one of these attacks. Once I feel a migraine coming on (vision goes all retarded) all I can do is just hope to rest my head on something soft and try to sleep...

And on one occasion, I even experienced the language abnormalities. I couldnt form words... my brain knew how to speak, but it just wouldnt allow me to do so. That was possibly the lowest moment in my life.... laying on a bathroom floor, feeling far past the point of death, being physically unable to utter the slightest noise...

• Like Like x 1
  2. That sucks a big one dude.

i've been getting migranes since I was abou 8....... but nothing like tha.. jeez......

do any meds help that?

3. I've never taken meds for it... tylenol does abosoltely nothing for the head ache, best medicine for it is to force myself to go to sleep as soon as I experience the Aura symptoms...

Opening my eyes makes things worse, any slight movement, even just moving my eyes, causes my entire head to hurt. It kinda feels like my brain is just bruised all over.

Im going to the doctor today to talk about it for the first time... parents just blame it on too much computer, but I seriously doubt thats the case. Hopefully my doc doesnt have the same mentality as my parents...

4. yeah... forcing sleep is one of the best things for a migrane.... they used to give me large doses or ibu's (like 800mgs) when I was a kid... didn't do much......

liquid advils are the best, if anything otc will help.....

theres a med my ex used to get in the hospital ccalled Dilaudid (dill-aw-did).... or something like that... supposed to work well.........

5. I get the EXACT same thing. I had to take shots of Imitrex or Max ALT. I went to several doctors about it.

I'm taking about I was completely blind in my eyes, just auras all around. Like you have your eyes opened under water. Then, a splitting head ache where all I could do is just lay there. Then intense puking for the next 4-8 hours. I was crippled all day and the next from it. And this happened a few times a month. :(

It turns out it was stimulants such as caffeine that were effecting me and causing it all. Once I shut out all the sodas, chocolate, etc, they all went away. The only time I have one now is when I accidently ingest somethine with caffeine or some chocolate. Then, I have to go to the hospital and get my shots.

Damn man...I hope you're feeling better. I know what hell that is to go through.

6. its the bodys natural way of getting electromagnetism out of the body

they try and treat the symptom instead of the disease

that is why the system is fucked

meditate and smoke weed, or take concentrated THC and it can and will be cured

you can think what you like, this is what it is

i have constant vision like that, your more in touch with the electromagnetism that surrounds us and flows through us all

7. :rolleyes:

Excuse me for being skeptical but do you have anything to back that up, or did you just make it up? Your body can't just get rid of electromagnetism, it's a force that exists everywhere in nature.

Luckily I've never had a migraine or even a bad headache in my life, and I've done some horrible things to my body, guess I'm just lucky.

The only time I ever get a headache is from being dehydrated and some aspirin and a glass of water cures it in no time.

8. I started suffering from migranes at age 10. My dad is a doctor and he was able to get some migrane medication for me. It's called ergotamine. It's a sublingual pill and tastes like mint. (I can't eat mint icecream any more because it reminds me of migranes).

I take one as soon as my vision becomes obscured, then I go down for a nap. The pills work.

Hopefully you migrane suffers can get some of this to relieve your symptoms.

Interestingly, as I age the migranes hurt less but the visuals don't change much. I don't get them as often, either.

Also, to the previous poster who blamed caffeine for his migranes: caffeine is often perscribed to help headaches.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...B&q=aspirin+and+caffeine+headache&btnG=Search

9. Wow, I used to get migraines all throughout high school and, I have to say they were nothing compared to what you described. I can only imagine getting what I had, but 5x worse, I'm sorry man.

10. Just got back from the doctor, he prescribed me Treximet, which I am to take when I notice the Aura, and it's supposed to stop the migraine in it's tracks... I really hope thats true. He also prescribed me Amitriptylin, which is also supposed to help with the migraines and raise my appetite because I'd lost 5 lbs since my last visit.

11. *kinda personal question..* are you overweight at all? I had what is called a pseudotumor cerebri, which is found most commonly in young, healthy 20-50 year old women and men that are overweight. It's a "fake" tumor, basically, swelling of your optic nerves from too much spinal fluid pressure. I found out I had it because I had KILLER migraines and would pass out, experience tunnel vision, and a wooshing sound in my ears. Anyway... just looking out for ya. but I totally feel you on the horrible headache crap. I've lived most my life with a headache :(
    anyway... get your eyes checked out. make sure your optic nerves aren't swelling, because then you may have what I went through... it is possible to get relief though! so that's why I'm giving you this information :)
    meanwhile, what helps me.... either take 600mg Ibuprofen 3x a day, or 800mg x2 a day (which is what I do... seems to help)
    Good luck!!!

12. Nope, not overweight at all... In fact, Im probably underweight, I got weighed at the docs office today and Im 110 lbs.... Im 5'8" 18 years old, and 110 lbs...

13. #13 GurdleMcTurtle, Aug 21, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
    Holy crap, you're 110 lbs, and that tall? That's the same as me but i'm 5'0 , I could probably pick you up over my shoulders! Eat some king sized meals amigo! And of course I highly doubt that it's because you'd stare at the computer screen- that's just like what any ignorant parent would blame shit on. I hope the medicine works.. but I know it could be an allergic reaction to something :( Rest up homeslice

14. Are you a male or a female?

110 pounds is ridiculous for a guy your age and height, you must be like a twig man or something, eat for gods sakes, EAT!

15. oh okay :) just informing you... I don't want anybody to go through what I went through. have you been tested for anemia?

16. I have migraines too. I went to the doctor and told him what was up and he gave me a prescription to a pill called Imitrex, and they work pretty well.

17. I get migraines similar to yours except my vision is blocked by a giant, silvery sickle. I get sick for 2-7 hours then the pressure releases and I feel fine. Really odd.

18. Reminds me of the last episode of weeds and what She was having

19. Yea, I am pretty skinny, been like that all my life. I dont know why, but lately I havnt had much of a desire to eat. The Amitriptyline the doc presribed me is supposed to help with that... I just dont know how I feel about taking an antidepressant...

20. Do you smoke weed for it? Gets rid of the migraines and the puking and will give you one hell of an appetite