Creation vs Evolution

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Snap, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Okay so I've been thinking about this for awhile now, so I'd thought I'd share and get some feedback from you guys.

Now I'm personally not religious in away way shape or form, I'm very spiritual but I don't believe in any god or divine being. But one thing bothers me about evolution, chance.

Now anyone who knows anything about mathematics or statistics can understand a little bit more but I mean really think about it. So we start off as a single atom or whatever and a bunch of other atoms combine and they form a compound, then others join together and eventually they formed a living organism right? Then we slowly evolved and all that jazz. That sounds fine and dandy but really look deep at that, look at the chances of that happening so many times in a row to actually make the simplest life form possible....

For example say you have 5 coins, you flip them all at the same time and the chance that the first one will land on heads is 1/2 (.5 or 50%). Flip another and the chance both of them will be heads is 1/4, another 1/8 chance the three be heads, again 1/16 for the fourth, and the final coin to land on heads also would be 1/32 or a 3% chance.

Now this is just with a 50/50 option, two possibilities five times, not the billions x billions of options the real world has. Isn't that scary to think we are all either extremely lucky (chance wise) to be alive or that there really is a higher power who did create us.

Logic tells me to believe the latter if you can even comprehend the chance of life accidentally coming together and ending up how it is now. I would think it would take a lot longer than 4 billion years (or however old the earth is) for this to happen. Then again maybe this is how religion was formed in the first place, someone realized how insanely lucky we all are and figured it was more logical to think some higher being created us, makes sense to me lol.

And let me clarify again I am not one bit religious, zero, nada. I believe it isn't important how or why we got here but it's important what you do with the little time you have.

Anyways I thought that was kinda freaky eh?

Oh and sorry if you guys are too stoned to get this, my mind is always thinking about this kind of shit and it feels good to get it off my chest. If you read this all, good job and tell me what you think.

2. i ponder on this thought often. neither am i religious, but i do, do psychadelics lol. i also think about wut happenz when we die. our soul doesnt age, but our body does, and that what fails and dies in the end. where does the soul go? its not of this world...

3. I barely read the post but I get the point. I believe in creation..I just can't believe that this shit just "happened"..my thoughts are too deep to be a mistake. A goat or dog is not my equal...man dominates this planet.

I know that if something if made us..it wouldn't give us the same capabilities that it is. We're never gonna understand everything, but this is no accident...something is in control.

4. you have a good point about it being very unlikely with statistics but then again think about our whole universe. we are but a spec and this might be the only place in existence that has the right conditions for life. its a very low % and we are that result of that equation.

5. maybe civilization was here before, got wiped out, and started over...
    i cant wait 'til aliens arrive. **abduct me!**
    it sure is taking them a long time to get here!!!

6. Exactly, theoretically the universe is infinite. Does that same infinite universe display every possible outcome of chance? I guess it should if it goes on forever right, hence our existence.

So like the other guy said, your body ages but your soul doesn't. That kinda makes time irrelevant if the infinite is possible.

/mind blown

7. haha you were watching joe rogan! that's straight from one of his standups haha. the dumb people outfucked the smart ones and society went back into the "dark ages".

8. I think that 'life' is only an improbable chance if you limit life to this sphere of existence.

There are worlds without number in the universe. With the advent of string theory and the probability of a multiverse, the chances of life on another world rise significantly.

Perhaps every other galaxy has an "Earth" just like our galaxy, and we just don't have the technology to figure that out yet. They may be hidden through a dimensional veil, and I think that is why string theory is so important to science today.

Nevertheless, I still believe that God created man through the process of evolution. It's cyclical to me. We began with God (my definition of God is not the Christian definition of God, so don't attack me for that mindset), we were given life, and then we become God (or a part of God) through death. It's all one eternal round.

9. time and space are woven together. "space-time" by einstein.
    think about how time is measured right? position in comparison to the sun...
    amazing. traveling in light years? foregoing a distance and taking x amount of years to get there? yesssssss... take me away, andromeda here i come!!!

i think i did watch the monkey whatever it was called (i think it was something like that) standup on com central. i dont really remember what it said, but maybe subconsciously i just threw that out there! haha.

10. Word, this is exactly what I was looking for and for some reason I knew it would come from you. I always agreed with the idea the God created evolution, for me technology is a perfect example, it in itself is evolution. And If you don't mind me asking can you please define what God is to you in a little more detail?

I guess I don't really know what I believe. I don't think there is one single higher being but maybe a higher energy or force, which creates an ego, morals, culture; to me summed up in one word, life.

You know what also freaks me out. The number Pi, it seems everything that goes on past our level of understanding (infinite) revolves around in a circle.

11. as far as higher life is concerned, evolution

12. That's a really interesting theory...hmm I've never heard of/thought of that before.

Anyway, I was brought up a Christian by my parents (who are very religious). I can't really call myself a Christian though. Christians don't do drugs. And Christianity seems too hypocritical to me. The Bible commands people not to be selfish, but how is that possible when even God is selfish? Every single thing that a person does is selfish. Even believing in God is selfish; people do this so that they can end up in heaven. Would anyone be a Christian if hell was their fate for being one?

I'm in doubt about Christianity, but I believe that some sort of intellegence created the universe. Also, I don't believe in the multiverse theory.

13. I ascribe to a kabbalistic view of God. A Being of absolute light and consciousness which has existed for all time (even using the word time is somewhat a catch-22 because God is Eternal). God's only desire is to share His (not really a him) essence with something, which resulted in the creation of the universe a la the Big Bang. I won't get into the kabbalistic notions of just how exactly God creates, because it's confusing to most non-Hebrew speakers.

So, in a sense, God is everything. He was the energies which clashed together to cause the Big Bang, He's the forces which hold the planets in their orbits and our feet on the ground. He's the air we breath, the Earth we walk upon, the light which warms the planet and the darkness which subdues it.

He created us because of his desire to share His essence with another being. A result of that desire is our lives, and when our lives are over we return to Him, full of that same desire to bestow. So, the circle continues.

Everything in the world is cyclical.

14. yea i agree with lukas because life seems much less rediculous if u believe it exists elsewhere. good read thats an interesting point

15. A lot can happen in the 4 and a half billion years that earth has existed. It took about 2 billion years just for complex cells to appear. Just think how much has happened in the couple thousand years that humans have been alive then compare that with how long a billion years would take.

16. If you look at things the way you do, nothing will ever seem possible. The chance of human creation seems so low, so why did it happen to us? It just did, and now we can look back on the past and think about it.

The odds of what ever compounds created the first living organism being in the same area is very very very low. We can conclude this as we don't yet know any other living civilization outside out own planet.

Now think about this, how many planets are there in the universe? It only makes sense that only a select few were able to produce life. Many light years away, on other planets there might be living organisms completly different from us.

Just to put things in perspective, tell me how many times you have been hit by lightning? Most likely never, as odds of getting him by lightning are 3,000 to 1. Now you can go look up a man by the name of Roy Sullivan. He was hit by lightning 7 times!

The odds of getting hit 7 times are:

22,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 1

Seems quite impossible but it happened to someone.

17. Evolution/thread

haha,i always wanted to do that :smoking:

18. Universe is cyclical chaos, Evolution is just a theory attempting to grasp it, but as far as biological life goes there's no other way for it occur. in my mind.

19. This thread was completely hijacked. This question does not involve the creation of the universe. It is about creationism vs. evolution, not atheism vs. theism/deism Whoever said that they believe in creationism because they don't think it can happen by chance is ignorant of evolution.

20. yes, i took the thread off on that tangent because i wanted to, and the OP even thanked me for that.

so chill out dude, and quit acting like an asshole. i'm far from ignorant of evolution