creating feminized auto seeds

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by moe52, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Hi all, 1st time posting. Not sure if this is the proper place for this question, or if this subject has already been discussed I apologize. I've been growing about a year. I have two mothers, a G-13 Amnesia Haze and a Big Buddha Cheese from seed I got in Amsterdam last year. I'm going back this May and while I plan to try some of the new Cannabis Cup winners, I am thinking of trying some of the new autos. Autos have come a long way and I would be able to get a nice variety of seed. My question, if I found a nice auto would it be possible to cause a plant to herm and create my own seeds. I'm talking about stable autos. would there offspring be the same as their mother?

2. Don't chance random hermying. Use colloidal silver to force a determinate amount of nodes into producing pollen sacks. All of the pollen that comes off will be feminized since it originated from a female plant. With most autos though, there's Only around 10 percent of the genetic background that comes from ruderalisis. So If you breed 2 random rudis, around 20 percent of the seeds would obtain the auto trait.

. Careful though as you run the chance of getting seeds that are rudi dominant,and have MUCH less thc than It's other sisters from the same batch
    Sent from my ADR6350 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. What I'm thinking is I get a couple of seeds from numerous good autos. If I find a strain I particularly like I grow another seed of the same and hermie {using colloidal silver} and self- pollinate her only to produce more of her. Would her offspring be the same as the original? I'm wondering if an auto is advertised to have been 'stabilized' does that mean its genetics will remain stable thru self-pollination?

4. Selfing, breeding a plant with itself,is the best way to quickly achieve an ibl,or in breed line. while the progeny Won't be EXACTLY like the original,some will be close. I am currently under the belief that breeding with autos is possibly one of the hardest things to do. This is because once the plant you breed from is done flowering, It's life span is over,making it impossible to back cross and stabilize the qualities you want. When a plant is"stabilized" it doesn't mean that all the seeds will be the same, it means all of the plants that come from those seeds will have the desired traits that were selectively locked down. Say your breeding for a certain smell or taste. First off, this in itself is difficult because taste and smell are affected by more than one pair of genes. You would take the plant that has three taste or smell you want, self it, then grow out all the seeds to find the ones that display the taste/smell, take those(or just the one) and cross it back to the original parent. The next batch of seeds will have maybe around 50% that will have the desired taste/smell. Again select for desired trait and backcross. The next batch, most will have the desired trait. Most breeders will do this process a minimum of 4 times.this is called squaring. When all the seeds display the same taste or smell, or bud formation, thc content ect the breed is said to be stable. None of them will be exactly the same, but they will all have the trait you want. Sorry for the lecture Lol I'm hella high and I'm passionate about breeding.

5. Thanks for the info. Was just trying to generate seeds. I'm leery on ordering seed thru the mail. I live in the U.S. Can't get to Amsterdam to often. Certainly not often enough! 

6. Oh then go right on ahead brother! You never know What you'll come up with! My latest breeding project is to produce a strain that yields heavy, with a sativa high, and high mildew resistance. Crossed my unstabilized uk cheese( heavy yield pheno but prone to powdery mildew) with an ibl (inbreed line) stabilized 100% sativan sour lemon diesel that is resistant to mildew that I bred myself. The limenol turpenes (lemon smell) sativan high and extreme resistance to powdery mildew are all stable. Only on the first round of mature seeds, but more are coming. I'll do batches of 30 to find the best. Going to call it cheesel!

Attached Files:

7. Yes ,I think the use silver collidal from local heath store or a hydo store,I m not sure about application but thisis used to spray females to get feminized seeds .Do some reasearch and give a shout back ..peace