Creating Clones from Feminized Seeds (Possible?)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by GAK, Jul 6, 2009.

1. I am wondering is it possible to create decent clones from feminized seeds? I have heard that if you clone feminized seeds that they have a higher chance of becoming hermies (and no one wants that). Anyone heard anything like this or am I completely wrong?

2. of course... why not????

you only want clones from feminized plants...

sorry for my bad english... hope u understood!

3. your a little off bro. feminized seeds are great if you can get them. They will clone easily(in most cases) and grow great because the genetics have been so stabilized. Theyre usually available for your more popular strains and pretty much everyone has em.

4. Close. Feminized seeds themselves actually have a higher chance of becoming hermies, not just their clones. The reason has to do with how they are created. Usually feminized seeds are created by stressing a flowering female into turning hermie and then using the pollen dropped by the pod created by this process to pollenate the female part of the plant. The resulting seeds are "feminized" because they were created from all female DNA. However, as you see, there is a problem because in order to get the seeds, the plant had to have a tendency to herm under stress. You now have seeds that will often turn out female, but since almost every plant has the ability to produce male flowers if they are stressed enough, you now have a seedling that is often especially sensitive to stress (light stress is the most common way that you will find out about the tendency to herm).

As far as cloning, it should be no more difficult than any non femmed clone of that strain. However, if the mother plant starts to herm under very mild stress, you've got a bad mother and the clones should only be kept if you want to try to make more femmed seeds. Bear in mind though, that you are breeding seeds that will be even more likely to herm, because you have selected them accordingly.

I don't mean to discourage you, many femmed seeds produce well without herming, but just realize that there is a distinct possiblity that you will have this issue. Another way to go about getting a suitable mother (and hence suitable clones) would be to germinate "regular", non-femmed seeds, chop the males (there are tricks that you can employ to decrease the percentage of males - especially controlling temperature while they are vegging), take clones of your remaining females (take at least two of each in case one dies), LABEL THEM IN WATERPROOF INK, root them, flower the mom, and then use the strongest clone from the best mom as your mom going forward. It takes a bit more space, but you have less to worry about with herming. It is still possible to herm those moms with enough stress, and in fact, you could make femmed seeds by stressing one of the fem clones that you aren't going to keep (add a light leak to whereever they are growing - as long as it's not the same place you are trying to flower your other plants).

Good luck!

5. Awesome, I had heard it was something like that, but it was a while back. Thanks for the info!

+rep darookie2000

6. I thought that the actual seeds from a hermie plant were useless?
    I was told that to create feminized seeds the pollen is taken from the herme male flowers and used to pollinate another female plant not the hermie itself. Therefore creating a feminized seed. I was under the impression that if a hermie pollinates itself that those seeds would be herme, is this wrong?

7. After growing for quite a few years, this year I am trying feminised seeds for the first time.

So far they are indeed all female and growing well. Recommended.

8. iam a newbie but as i understand your mostly all wrong. Feminized seeds are not created by stress unless your trying it at home. Most of these big seed companys are using silver collidial to make the female plant produce pollen which they then use the poleen from the female plant on itself to make seeds not stress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!